Forum Index > Trip Reports > Big Four Ice Caves 2007
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostWed Jul 16, 2008 4:18 pm 
You all please feel free to ignore this, because I'm really doing it for my own benefit. I make so many trips to Big Four that I get very confused about what I have in my files, what I've reported on, and when any of it occurred. As I continue to study the Ice Caves and admire the waterfalls (and report on the process), I find that I frequently want to refer back to earlier reports. To that end, this is intended as a personal Table of Contents. Big Four Ice Caves 2007 1. File: Ice Caves 07-03-07 ..... Report: Big Four waterfalls 07-03-07 https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7960691&highlight=Big+four+ice+caves
The new "bridge" over the Stillaguamish
The new "bridge" over the Stillaguamish
Big Four western waterfalls
Big Four western waterfalls
Snow arch framing central Big Four waterfalls
Snow arch framing central Big Four waterfalls
Big Four avalanche cone and falls
Big Four avalanche cone and falls
Big Four Falls, lower section
Big Four Falls, lower section
Moat and arch verticle pan
Moat and arch verticle pan
Moat verticle pan
Moat verticle pan
Snow cave 2
Snow cave 2
What happens to snow caves
What happens to snow caves
2. File: Ice Caves 07-25-07 ..... Report: Big Four, again 07-25-07 https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7961214&highlight=Big+four+ice+caves
Ice Girl and Trinity approach snow bridge
Ice Girl and Trinity approach snow bridge
A matter of scale: Trinity exits the snow bridge.
A matter of scale: Trinity exits the snow bridge.
Snow cave waterfall
Snow cave waterfall
Snow cave entrance pan
Snow cave entrance pan
What's in a name? ..... Ice Girl
What's in a name? ..... Ice Girl
Trinity
Trinity
3. File: Big Four 08-14-07 ..... Report: Big Four melt, 08-14-07 https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7961722&highlight=big
Snow cave entrance breakdown
Snow cave entrance breakdown
Snow cave and waterfall
Snow cave and waterfall
Tip of avalanche cone and the ice column from the right, giving some hint of the way the tip is undercut.
Tip of avalanche cone and the ice column from the right, giving some hint of the way the tip is undercut.
Ice column from the tip of the cone. I simply didn't dare to go right up to the edge.
Ice column from the tip of the cone. I simply didn't dare to go right up to the edge.
View of the ice column and waterfall from the lefthand edge of the cone.
View of the ice column and waterfall from the lefthand edge of the cone.
x.......
Snow cave waterfall - vertical pan - In spite of appearances, it is not a faulty stitch.
Snow cave waterfall - vertical pan - In spite of appearances, it is not a faulty stitch.
Ice Cave matrix - The size is deceptive. The people are standing well outside the cave. Actual height about twenty feet.
Ice Cave matrix - The size is deceptive. The people are standing well outside the cave. Actual height about twenty feet.
4. B4 again 09-02-07 ..... Report: Big Four, rediscovered 09-02-07 https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7962075&highlight=Big+Four+rediscovered
Ants
Ants
x.....................
Inner Ice Cave, tweaked hard
Inner Ice Cave, tweaked hard
Moulin drain in Ice Cave, tweaked hard
Moulin drain in Ice Cave, tweaked hard
x........
Waterfall above/behind avalanche cone ....... Again, scale is impossible. That's about a 200 foot section of falls.
Waterfall above/behind avalanche cone ....... Again, scale is impossible. That's about a 200 foot section of falls.
Overhanging tip of the avalanche cone
Overhanging tip of the avalanche cone
Avalanche cone, righthand moat and tip
Avalanche cone, righthand moat and tip
5. File: Ice Cave 09-25-07 ..... "Report": Big Four update 09-25-07 (This is actually just a single post in the "Show us your glacier observations" thread). https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20143&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45
Ice Cave waterfall vpan
Ice Cave waterfall vpan
Ice Cave waterfall
Ice Cave waterfall
x........
Photographer
Photographer
Ice Cave
Ice Cave
6. File: B4 raft 10-23-07 ..... Report: Fall runoff at Big Four 10-23-07 https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7963032&highlight=Big+four+ice+caves
1. Big Four 10-23-07 ....... All that fresh snow on a warm Indian Summer day made for incredible runoff.
1. Big Four 10-23-07 ....... All that fresh snow on a warm Indian Summer day made for incredible runoff.
x.........Pardon the blue-tinted pictures. I never did find out if I'd just joggled a setting, or what. Instead, I got a new camera for Christmas. biggrin.gif
Raft & X'ng log
Raft & X'ng log
Former bridges
Former bridges
4.Water wall pan
4.Water wall pan
11.Snow caveD pan
11.Snow caveD pan
15.1.Snow caveD waterfall
15.1.Snow caveD waterfall
13.Water wall detail
13.Water wall detail
7. File: B4 raft sale 11-23-07 ..... Report: Big Four "bridge" out, again 11-23-07 https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7963030&highlight=big+four+raft Yeah. My camera still has the "blues". It wasn't just a joggled setting, so this will be its last appearance. ........ It's done a good job for me.
Bridge pan. One log remaining after the floods.
Bridge pan. One log remaining after the floods.
Somebody even rigged a handline, but today the log is coated with ice and no one is using it. ......... Actually, one woman tried; I wound up giving her a ride in my raft.
Somebody even rigged a handline, but today the log is coated with ice and no one is using it. ......... Actually, one woman tried; I wound up giving her a ride in my raft.
Ice Caves Trail
Ice Caves Trail
Hoar frost
Hoar frost
Big Four Waterfall in early snow.
Big Four Waterfall in early snow.
Icy waterwall. That's fresh snow and the falls are frozen.
Icy waterwall. That's fresh snow and the falls are frozen.
Ice Cave entrance pan
Ice Cave entrance pan
Ice Cave wall art (this is old ice).
Ice Cave wall art (this is old ice).
Cave ice. Anywhere in the cave that would normally just be wet, today was frozen. This is a spot where drops would fall from the ceiling, but then freeze when they hit the floor.
Cave ice. Anywhere in the cave that would normally just be wet, today was frozen. This is a spot where drops would fall from the ceiling, but then freeze when they hit the floor.
B&W - Cathedral Room waterfall. Although the walls and floor are coated with ice, there is still water coming down the falls.
B&W - Cathedral Room waterfall. Although the walls and floor are coated with ice, there is still water coming down the falls.
.............................................. Okay. I just wanted to get that part "hardwired", before I screwed something up and lost it. I'll be coming back to add some pictures, to help define each section .......... and perhaps to add a smidgen of general interest. rolleyes.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee
PostWed Jul 16, 2008 4:47 pm 
Thanks
Reminds me...I gotta get up there and spray-paint that "4" on the side of the mountain again. People are starting to complain that they can't see it anymore.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostWed Jul 16, 2008 4:55 pm 
rotf.gif ykm.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostWed Jul 16, 2008 8:38 pm 
humm....that "new bridge" was not there last weekend. Did some one cut the trees to make the "new bridge". If they did i sure hope they logged out the rest of the trail. hockeygrin.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostWed Jul 16, 2008 9:59 pm 
Check the title of this thread, Hulk. The "new bridge" is history (although that'll be more obvious in a couple of sections).

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!