Forum Index > Trail Talk > Choosing between South/McAlester/Twisp Pass and White Pass/Pilot Ridge Loops
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
drm

drm
PostTue Aug 25, 2020 7:29 am 
I've only done one backpack in the vicinity of Glacier Peak (Spider Gap/Buck Ck Pass), so am drawn to the latter route (I am in northern Oregon). Not even sure I can get the needed permits for the former, though if I do, campsites are then guaranteed. In both cases there would be time for some side trips, presumably including Stilleto Lake for one and Glacier Meadows for the other. Particularly interested in (1) any updates on trail conditions (2) best side trips. Years ago I sought out tough terrain and XC, but as the years go by I need decent trails, decently maintained.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostTue Aug 25, 2020 8:02 am 
I can't help you decide, Dean, but kind of hope you chose the former so you can come back and tell us all about it. smile.gif I've wanted to do something in that area since 2008, when I had to cancel a planned trip.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Aug 25, 2020 8:04 am 
The west side of Glacier Peak area is different enough from the east side, it definitely won't seem exactly the same as the previous loop you mentioned. I haven't done the other loop you are considering so I can't compare them. I'm a big fan of the GPW so I'd always give that a thumbs up. Possible side trips: Foam Creek route from White Pass, at least as far as the basin at the foot of the White Chuck Glacier. A bunch of small lakes over there. I haven't continued on to Glacier Gap, that might be interesting as well. That's all part of the most commonly used route to climb Glacier Peak. You mentioned Glacier Meadow. Even if you don't go that far, Red Pass isn't far from White Pass and is definitely worth checking out. I haven't climbed White Mountain, but I imagine it has a great view. Could be done either from White Pass, or running the ridge from Red Pass. Very brief detour up to Kodak Mountain as you swing by. Great viewpoint. Boot path all the way up. Starts right about at the border between Glacier Peak Wilderness and Henry Jackson Wilderness. Also nearly in the same spot is a boot path that takes off on one end point of the Poets Ridge traverse. It's a good trail for a while, eventually deteriorates. You probably wouldn't want to go as far as Poe Mountain anyway, but it would be a worthwhile stroll for at least a short distance. Johnson Mountain isn't very far of a detour distance wise, a bit of elevation gain though from near the beginning of the Pilot Ridge section. You'll of course have to decide between the Blue Lake High Route or the main trail once you leave the PCT. I'd say either one is nice. HR is rougher and steeper, but shorter. You could easily go a little further south on the PCT from that junction, take in part of Cady Ridge, check out Lake Sally Ann. From Red Pass you could also continue north and do part of the Painted Traverse. I think it gets a bit gnarly eventually but it's probably not bad at the beginning.

altasnob

altasnob
PostTue Aug 25, 2020 8:09 am 
I don't think any of the areas you are looking at require permits, other than self-issued permits at the trail head. In Washington, the only permitted areas I can think of are in a National Park, National Monument, or the Enchantments.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Aug 25, 2020 8:09 am 
Oh, from Blue Lake area you could also take a detour and do part of the Bald Eagle trail before doubling back.

drm

drm
PostTue Aug 25, 2020 8:26 am 
altasnob wrote:
I don't think any of the areas you are looking at require permits, other than self-issued permits at the trail head. In Washington, the only permitted areas I can think of are in a National Park, National Monument, or the Enchantments.
About half of the first trip is in the National Park.

altasnob

altasnob
PostTue Aug 25, 2020 9:32 am 
My bad. Been so long since I was at Stiletto Lake that I forgot that was part of the park. Anyway, not a highly used area of the park so I think you would be able to find a permit (but everything is more crowded this year). Even though some maps don't have a trail on the south side of Stiletto Peak to the lake, there is a trail, more or less. And the lake is just to the west of the park boundary, so you can legally camp to the east, a few hundred feet away from the lake, outside the park, without a permit. Easy terrain from the lake down to Twisp Pass to connect the loop.

MooandLu

MooandLu
PostTue Aug 25, 2020 10:37 am 
I just completed a 40-mile 3-night trip from Bald Eagle Trailhead to Dishpan Gap, White Pass, Red Pass, and Glacier Peak Meadows, returning down the N. Fork Sauk trail (requires a 2.5 mile roadwalk back to the Bald Eagle TH). Similar to the Pilot Ridge/White Pass loop but longer and better (IMO). It was glorious. There's so much to explore. You could peakbag, wander around the White Chuck cinder cone, wander all over Glacier Peak Meadows (there's a waterfall, lake, etc.), visit Meander Meadows (didn't go here but an idea). The Blue Lakes area was the highlight of my trip, there are a few tarns below the lower lake that are fun to explore and have cool camping spots. To get near Glacier Peak Meadows I went via Red Pass, but you can also do a loop via the Foam Creek trail which you catch near White Pass camp (I think). This trip did not require a permit, I didn't even see self-issue permits at the trailhead. Trail conditions were great, I didn't see any snow anywhere on the trail, hardly any blowdowns except a few on the Bald Eagle trail that were easy to navigate. The trails were easy to follow, too. Gaia link: https://www.gaiagps.com/map/?loc=11.6/-121.1881/48.0101&popupLoc=-121.23105/48.04395&pubLink=aJLN2CV91KfXbUDHEYhy9GfO&trackId=a4da85bb-7533-416a-9d06-8d4cf20ec889

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Aug 25, 2020 10:49 am 
We did the same trip as MooandLu in Mid-August of 2017, (see my TR) and liked it so much we are thinking about doing it again. A fun side trip is to climb White Mountain from the Foam Creek trail just off White Pass, for superb views of Glacier Peak. Those tiny tarns below Blue Lake are also lovely.

drm

drm
PostTue Aug 25, 2020 2:09 pm 
MooandLu wrote:
Similar to the Pilot Ridge/White Pass loop but longer and better (IMO).
Hmmm - I had assumed that the Pilot Ridge ridge walk would be a highlight, but you replaced that section with the Bald Eagle Trail. What is the appeal of that trail? I'm leaning towards some version of this loop so far - nobody has spoken up about South/McAlester/Twisp so far. It's over six hours drive for me to this trailhead, so day 1 is then just to camps around the Mackinaw Shelter. Day 2 goes right up the big hill first thing in the morning and then the Glacier Peak Mdws, with time to stop on the way and explore the meadows. Day 3 would be to Blue Lake (anybody have a photo of the Blue Lake High Trail?), and day 4 is out.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Aug 25, 2020 3:38 pm 
another one of these Ridgeline type deals where various peaks and whatnot can be observed.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Aug 25, 2020 4:16 pm 
I don't know why I had such a hard time finding the correct image. I think this is a view of some of the HR as seen from the top of Kodak Mtn. Starts from near lower left of image. Skirts to the left of that big bump left of center. I think Johnson Mtn. must be the high point in the photo. I'm surprised I didn't take any pictures while on the HR, but I sure can't find any.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Aug 25, 2020 4:21 pm 
drm wrote:
Hmmm - I had assumed that the Pilot Ridge ridge walk would be a highlight, but you replaced that section with the Bald Eagle Trail.
Yeah...I don't know that I would recommend that myself. It makes the trip longer, but my recollection is that Pilot Ridge has better views than Bald Eagle.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Aug 25, 2020 4:51 pm 
Agreed that Pilot Ridge has better views than the Bald Eagle Mountain Trail. I loved that one too. No water for most of the length of Pilot Ridge. There may be a little brook near the trail towards the west end of the ridge, depends on the year. Just carry water for that section. Don’t forget that you have to cross the North Fork Sauk on a big footlog either at the beginning of the loop or at the end. smile.gif You will see many more people doing the Pilot Ridge Loop than the Bald Eagle Mountain-North Fork Sauk Loop. I felt like the high route was a little scrambly in a couple of places, but nothing scary. Here are a couple of pics.
Blue Lake High Route
Blue Lake High Route
Blue Lake
Blue Lake

lemArts

lemArts
PostTue Aug 25, 2020 6:00 pm 
I've done both loops. I didn't think South/McAlester/Twisp had all that great of views. And we were absolutely eaten alive by bugs. It was years ago but this time of year. I can't speak to the bugs now. The White Pass/Pilot Ridge loop is amazing with different side options. Once you hit White Pass and head south on the PCT... that's one of my favorite stretches of trail in WA. Plus - no permits!