Forum Index > Trip Reports > Lookout Mtn & Monogram Lk (near Marblemount) 7/19-20
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostMon Jul 21, 2008 7:45 pm 
There's about 12 blowdowns over the trail before the junction. A few require a little bit of crawling or detours.
blowdowns on Lookout - Monogram Lake trail
blowdowns on Lookout - Monogram Lake trail
saprophytes on the Lookout/Monogram Lake trails.  Candystick (Allotropa virgata)
saprophytes on the Lookout/Monogram Lake trails. Candystick (Allotropa virgata)
There's an avalanche deposit over the creek insulated from melting by Nature's slash.
avalanche deposit at 3900 feet on Lookout - Monogram Lake trail
avalanche deposit at 3900 feet on Lookout - Monogram Lake trail
The trail to Monogram Lake has a few blowdowns. Snow on the Monogram Lake trail starts at the first big avalanche chute and continues to the ridge.
Lookout Mtn in Mt Baker - Snoqualmie National Forest from Monogram Lake Trail
Lookout Mtn in Mt Baker - Snoqualmie National Forest from Monogram Lake Trail
There's intermittent snow from the ridge to the lake. There are a lot of bears feeding in the meadows above the lake. I saw a bear from about 50 yards away and he did not move off until a minute or so. It was a little showdown. Scary. Whoever camps here better not half-ass hanging their food. We don't need any trouble bears spoiled by people food. The lake is about 75% melted.
Monogram Lake in North Cascades National Park from the high point
Monogram Lake in North Cascades National Park from the high point
Hiked back down to the junction then up to Lookout. Snow starts beyond the big avalanche chute on the trail to Lookout Mountain. The trail tread was washed away to the slope angle in the big avy chute.
Pk 6438 from avalanche chute on Lookout Mtn Trail
Pk 6438 from avalanche chute on Lookout Mtn Trail
After the big open avalanche chute, intermittent snow strips until the hill below the top ridge. Continuous snow from the open hillside below the top ridge and on the top ridge to the lookout. The ice ax came was nice to have but not essential. That lookout is something else!
lupines and other wildflowers near top of Lookout Mtn trail
lupines and other wildflowers near top of Lookout Mtn trail
Snowking from Lookout Mtn
Snowking from Lookout Mtn
Mt Baker from Lookout
Mt Baker from Lookout
El Dorado area from Lookout
El Dorado area from Lookout
Picket Range in North Cascades from Lookout Mtn
Mt Shuksan from Lookout Mtn
Mt Shuksan from Lookout Mtn
peaks of the Glacier Peak Wilderness from Lookout Mtn
peaks of the Glacier Peak Wilderness from Lookout Mtn
wildflowers on the Lookout Mtn trail in North Cascades mountain range of Washington
wildflowers on the Lookout Mtn trail in North Cascades mountain range of Washington
upper Cascade River Valley from Lookout Mountain valley
upper Cascade River Valley from Lookout Mountain valley
Cascade River valley from Lookout Mtn
Cascade River valley from Lookout Mtn
After hiking to Monogram Lake and Lookout Mtn I headed down to the junction and stealth camped where there are good trees for the hammock. These trails have a lot of elevation gain; 6000 cumulative for the day. Very tired. Hiked out on Sunday morning. Then drove to the NPS info center and hiked up to Cow Heaven.

"I aint jokin woman, I got to ramble...We gonna go walkin through the park every day." - Led Zeppelin
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Jul 21, 2008 8:00 pm 
Love the pic of the candystick saphrophytes! Nice trip! I've never been to the lookout.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostMon Jul 21, 2008 8:23 pm 
Saprophytes/epiparasites are currently popping. There were also pinesaps and a common purple one that looks like an orchid (anyone know?). Pinesap buttons right when they push out of the duff look neat.

"I aint jokin woman, I got to ramble...We gonna go walkin through the park every day." - Led Zeppelin
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Jul 21, 2008 8:29 pm 
I know the purple one of which you speak, but I have never found it in a book. Purple/pink, spindly stuff, right? That stuff can be very bright; I haven't been successful photographing it - as you know, the forest it growns in is always so dark. I was on the N Fk Sauk last year and saw a blob of it downslope - so vivid. to try to photography it, I had to sit on a log and tip upsidedown, sorta like how a scuba diver drops off a boat. It took a long, long time; when I was finished, I had quite a bit of trouble getting up. Once I did, my face was puffy, and I had sticks stuck in my hair, and the button on my britches had snapped. Just then, some hikers came by and asked me if I was alright. It was funny. The photos didn't turn out. Natch. rolleyes.gif Pinesaps are beautiful - the bloom looks like it's a bulb encased in fine velvet; I've seen the color range from bright red to a glowing orange.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Flower Sniffer
Sniffer of flowers

Flower Sniffer
Sniffer of flowers
PostMon Jul 21, 2008 8:51 pm 
We were up there on a dayhike three years ago in the fall and climbed up onto a little point along the lake to see if there were any good campsites around the corner. As we stood there, we noticed a bear below us. We watched it for a while and it finally caught our scent or heard us, because it looked up and then headed off up the hill opposite us. As we watched it go, we saw a big bear step out from behind a large boulder below where we were. It looked at us, shook it's head from side to side and then started RUNNING toward us!!! eek.gif It never actually started up the hill, but it was the single most terrifying moment of my life! It took about 3 or 4 paces and covered an amazing distance. It stopped and we started backing away and as soon as we were out of it's sight, we were out of there! The bad thing was we had to hike up and out from Monogram through very dense berry bushes. I looked back so many times on the way out that my neck was sore! We came up on a deer on the trail about a mile from the car, and I was so jumpy it scared me half to death! Anyway, I checked the WTA site and there were a couple of other reports about a cranky bear in that area from a year or two before we were up there. I wonder if it's the same bear. I wonder if it's something that should be reported?

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.
yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostTue Jul 22, 2008 8:01 pm 
flower sniffer wrote:
As we watched it go, we saw a big bear step out from behind a large boulder below where we were. It looked at us, shook it's head from side to side and then started RUNNING toward us!!! It never actually started up the hill, but it was the single most terrifying moment of my life!...I wonder if it's the same bear. I wonder if it's something that should be reported?
That is scary. It seems we hear most when grizzlies attacking people but black bears maul people too. This bear looked like a young adult. He didn't look like the old ones. I told the Park Service in Marblemount.
Quark wrote:
I know the purple one of which you speak, but I have never found it in a book. Purple/pink, spindly stuff, right? That stuff can be very bright; I haven't been successful photographing it -...
Yup, that's probably it. I'm really kicking myself for not taking a photo of it. It was pretty common. That's weird it's not in a field book. I was surprised it was not in Cascade-Olympic Natural History.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue Jul 22, 2008 11:23 pm 
YB was the lookout unlocked? I have heard it's available on a first come basis.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Jul 23, 2008 1:49 pm 
My Monogram Lake bear story: Anita and I camped on Teebone Ridge c. 1500 feet above Monogram Lake two years ago August or September. We were above treeline, so I hung the food over a cliff that night. (We purchased Ursacks the following spring). The next morning, as we traversed down Teebone Ridge, we noticed that a black bear was following about 100 meters behind us. It followed us for awhile, sustaining the 100 or so meters between us. When we stopped, the bear stopped, but stared directly at us. I then yelled "Hey, Mr. Bear," which sent the bear high-tailing it directly down the fall line towards the lake. Anita was spooked by the episode. I though it was really cool.

Traildoggie

Traildoggie
PostThu Jul 24, 2008 9:56 am 
Mertens coralroot?

yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostThu Jul 24, 2008 7:01 pm 
Magellan wrote:
YB was the lookout unlocked? I have heard it's available on a first come basis.
Yep it was unlocked. It's maintained by volunteers. It was clean, stocked and organized. It is first come-first serve. There are 2 beds and floor space. If someone is staying alone in the lookout they should be obliged to let others stay there too IMO. But, who'd want to hear some stranger farting and snoring at night? I'd rather sleep in my hammock unless it were raining or other poor weather.
Traildoggie wrote:
Mertens coralroot?
You're right!!

Flower Sniffer
Sniffer of flowers

Flower Sniffer
Sniffer of flowers
PostThu Jul 24, 2008 7:35 pm 
When we did Lookout, it was a very misty, wet day. We found the lookout open, so we snuggled up on one of the beds and had a nap! It was rather magical! Hmmm...maybe that's why the bear was cranky at us! winksmile.gif

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.