Forum Index > Trip Reports > Pete to Spectacle then Escondido, July 18-20th 2008
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtHoodlum

MtHoodlum
PostMon Jul 21, 2008 6:27 pm 
Cooper Lake to Pete Lake to Spectacle Lake then Escondido Lake July 18-20th 2008 Trails: #1323, PCT #2000, #1329, #1320 Hola everyone, first post here! This site was extremely useful for me when planning my trip so I figured I'd give back with my own quick trip report. I took a group of five friends out backpacking, some of them were backpacking for the first time so I wanted the trip to be both beautiful and approachable. We did a variation of the Central Alpine Lakes Loop as per "Backpacking Washington" by Douglas Lorain, published by Wilderness Press. We drove from Seattle and arrived at the Pete Lake Trailhead around 2:00 PM. The bugs started biting as soon as we opened our car doors so I'd recommend having your deet in hand and be prepared for immediate application. Once we greased ourselves up and assembled our packs, we hit the trailhead. We got a late start so we had some time to make up. The trail to Pete Lake was fast and well maintained. Did the 4.4 miles in about 2 hours and took a quick break. Pete Lake was gorgeous and there were quite a few people camped along side it. The trail to Spectacle Lake from Pete Lake (1323) was also well maintained and quick. We took our shoes off and forded the river, some with sandals, some barefoot. The deepest section was about knee high and moving rapidly. There was a lot of complaining about the cold bite of the water and numbness of feet, but everyone crossed safely without incident. Sometime further on our way to Spectacle Lake we came across a large avalanche area that had buried the trail and downed a good section of forest. It was about 70 meters wide and had about a meter of snow pack still underneath thick broken tree limb debris. The trail passed through the avalanche area without a change in elevation so it was easy to find at the other end. Along the trail there were sporadic flat snow patches which were easy to cross and everyone did so safely. We then came upon a bridge crossing a large waterfall and eventually made our way to Spectacle Lake around 8 or 9 PM. There was plenty of camping sites available and the lake lived up to its name, it was spectacular! It was a great treat at the end of a hurried day on the trail. I was cold at night with my 40º down bag, but other people reported that they were comfortable with their similarly spec'd bags, making me regret buying my bag used. Mosquitoes were persistently a problem through out the trip and Spectacle lake was no exception. Around 10:30 Am we packed up and headed toward Escondido, retracing our steps back to Pete Lake. From Pete Lake the trail to Escondido starts off with a long dusty set of switchbacks. At the top of the ridge the trail evens out and there are more small flat snow patches. The trail junction for Waptus Lake was near a larger snow patch which the trail had hollowed out. If you are watching your step, ensuring that you don't fall through the snow, you will likely miss the junction. All six of us missed the junction but we missed it in the direction we were heading, so that was fine. Escondido means "hidden" in Spanish, and this lake too lived up to its name. At the end of the trail there is a large meadow with yellow flowers in bloom. Beyond the meadow Escondido Lake is obscured by trees. We found a nice campsite along the lake. Again, that night I was cold but no one else complained. We headed back to the trail head the next morning. We encountered some probable poachers on horseback who were using their rifles for "self defense" and had an extra horse. No evident carcasses though. On the way back to Seattle, hoping for some beer and burgers, we stopped by Roslyn Brewing Company, but they only served beer. So we downed a couple pitchers and headed next door to the Pasttime Tavern. We ordered more pitchers of the Roslyn lager because it was so delicious and had some burgers and pies. There were a couple of cowgirls at the bar who were interested in our hike. You don't see cowgirls around Portland, so it was cool to talk with them. Definitely added to the atmosphere of the bar, which was excellent. The hike was good, the company was good, and the adjacent towns were fun to visit. Another good trip!
Jay got bit on the forehead as soon as we exited our vehicles at Pete Lake Trailhead.
Jay got bit on the forehead as soon as we exited our vehicles at Pete Lake Trailhead.
Jay and Laura at Pete Lake, Danny on the rock.
Jay and Laura at Pete Lake, Danny on the rock.
Laura, Jay, and Maria at Pete Lake
Laura, Jay, and Maria at Pete Lake
Laura crossing Lemah Creek on the way to Spectacle Lake
Laura crossing Lemah Creek on the way to Spectacle Lake
Maria and Jay crossing Lemah Creek on the way to Spectacle Lake
Maria and Jay crossing Lemah Creek on the way to Spectacle Lake
Avalanche area on the way to Spectacle Lake.
Avalanche area on the way to Spectacle Lake.
Jay and Maria at Spectacle Lake
Jay and Maria at Spectacle Lake
Delate Creek waterfall on the Pacific Crest Trail.
Delate Creek waterfall on the Pacific Crest Trail.
Camped out at Escondido
Camped out at Escondido
Alpine meadow near Escondido Lake
Alpine meadow near Escondido Lake
Roslyn Brewing Company.  They only make two beers, a gold lager and a dark lager.  The gold lager is delicious!
Roslyn Brewing Company. They only make two beers, a gold lager and a dark lager. The gold lager is delicious!
Mowing down at the Pasttime Tavern.
Mowing down at the Pasttime Tavern.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jul 21, 2008 6:52 pm 
Nice report. Sounds like you had a good time. Welcome to the site. up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster
PostMon Jul 21, 2008 7:01 pm 
Welcome to the site. From your trip report I gather you like hiking and drinking beer - you'll fit right in.
MtHoodlum wrote:
The bugs started biting as soon as we opened our car doors so I'd recommending having your deet in hand and be prepared for immediate application.
I'll second that notion. We were in the same area this weekend and the bugs were the worst we've encountered all year. On Saturday (about 1-ish) we passed a mixed party hanging out on the Pete Lake side of the Lemah Creek crossing as we headed up to the other fork of the trail to the PCT. They looked like they had just crossed - was that you?

Anything stated by me in no way reflects the attitudes or opinions of my wife
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Jul 21, 2008 7:04 pm 
On the topic of horsemen.....that is quite common in that area. Nothing to get excited about - I have yet to meet a horsepacker who wasn't carrying. The two go together hand in hand. If they were poaching you'd not know it. Just saying.........

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Jul 21, 2008 8:42 pm 
Where I come from poachers use .22 and lights, just saying huh.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostMon Jul 21, 2008 9:16 pm 
Nice report, pics and welcome to the site.

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
MtHoodlum

MtHoodlum
PostMon Jul 21, 2008 11:10 pm 
Schmidt Alti-Dude wrote:
On Saturday (about 1-ish) we passed a mixed party hanging out on the Pete Lake side of the Lemah Creek crossing as we headed up to the other fork of the trail to the PCT. They looked like they had just crossed - was that you?
Yeah, that would have been us!

peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostMon Jul 21, 2008 11:25 pm 
MtHoodlum wrote:
Roslyn Brewing Company.  They only make two beers, a gold lager and a dark lager.  The gold lager is delicious!
Roslyn Brewing Company. They only make two beers, a gold lager and a dark lager. The gold lager is delicious!
I had some of their beer at the recent St. Edwards brewfest this summer. I wonder if you guys bathed before going in there....

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostThu Jul 24, 2008 4:06 pm 
Ha! Bathing's for sissies. wink.gif Thanks for the post MtHoodlum! Glad you guys had a good time!

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short