Forum Index > Trip Reports > Recognized at Spider meadows, alone at Spider gap, pics
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Jul 23, 2008 8:16 pm 
I took the wonder pup to Spider Meadows and beyond last weekend (Sun-Tues). Being a Hiking Celebrity, the paparazzi soon found me. While I was "relaxing" (comatose?) at Spider meadows after doing the 5 miles there from the TH in the blistering time of just 4 hours, who should happen by but Bad Dog, with her canine "posse". She heard me call my dog Daisy, and immediately guessed who I was. Then along came CAL, and we had a regular NWHikers social right there in the meadows. Bad Dog's dogs were actually very well-behaved, except for the one who got lost for almost a week on West Cady ridge a couple (?) of years back. But that's another story.... Daisy and I made it to Phelps basin on Sunday, 7 miles and 1,900 vf. I was very tired due to being out of shape, but Phelps basin is so beautiful that the tiredness just melted away. We were all alone, no bugs, just the grandeur of a true alpine cirque basin surrounding us, featuring Dumbbell Mountain. Monday I left my camp at Phelps basin and dayhiked from there. The trudge up to Larch Knob was pretty brutal on my tired legs, what with the sun beating down and reflecting its heat off the rock walls, and the minimal breeze. The switchbacks are very annoying, and the trail is rough and rocky, but it's only 1.5 miles, thankfully. A short rest at the knob and we tackled Spider Glacier. This was better, since the snow reflected light but not heat, and the breeze was downright chilly. It was like standing in the door of a walk-in refrigerator on a hot day. I made that darn glacier taking ten steps then resting, again and again, until eventually we were at the top. Daisy loves snow on a hot day, and she ran around like an idiot, rolling in the snow and having a blast. We took the short side trip to the Phelps basin overlook and got some nice views of Dumbbell Mtn, then made the final steep push to Spider Gap. What a great spot! The views of Lyman lakes, Lyman Glacier, Cloudy pass, etc, are amazing. I had been there before, but it was Daisy's first time, and she just stood head into the breeze and smelled for all she was worth. We hung out up there for a couple of hours, then headed down. Bring gaiters for the descent of the glacier, or your boots will fill with snow a dozen times at least. The glacier that took 2 hours to go up took only 1/2 hour to go down. We arrived back at camp at 7 pm, having seen only one other person all day, a dayhiker who stopped at Larch Knob. Tuesday we lounged at Phelps basin until noon, hiked down to Spider Meadows and took a long lunch, then cruised on out to the TH in 3 leisurely hours. It's been a while since I hiked 3 days in a row, so I was spent by the time we arrived. I have tried to select pictures a bit different than those posted in recent reports, since no matter how cool Lyman Lakes are from Spider gap, the pics tend to be very similar after a while.
More Phelps basin
More Phelps basin
More Dumbbell
More Dumbbell
Up the glacier
Up the glacier
Snow dog
Snow dog
Dumbbell mtn
Dumbbell mtn
Tucker pup
Tucker pup
Goodbye Spider gap
Goodbye Spider gap
Looking down Spider glacier
Looking down Spider glacier
Phelps basin
Phelps basin
Good water Phelps creek
Good water Phelps creek
Unknown
Unknown
Fuzzy
Fuzzy
Paintbrush
Paintbrush
Daisy
Daisy
Weird
Weird
Yellow
Yellow

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Jul 23, 2008 8:51 pm 
I did think it was pretty funny that a pic from my hike was posted here more than 24 hours before I got home! Ahh, the magic of the internet coupled with the wonder of digital photography. biggrin.gif

touron

touron
PostWed Jul 23, 2008 9:03 pm 
Nice pictures! I love the More Dumbbell and Goodbye shots. up.gif up.gif up.gif ....as well as the look up Phelps basin.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostWed Jul 23, 2008 9:11 pm 
slugman: i want your autograph and a photo with me agree.gif agree.gif great TR and photos! the weird flower is a thistle (i hope)

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Bad Dog

Bad Dog
PostWed Jul 23, 2008 9:52 pm 
Slugman: You were looking pretty comfortable there zzz.gif when I happened upon you. The queue of hiker babes waiting to talk to you was pretty long by the time I left. biggrin.gif Joanna

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Gil

Gil
PostWed Jul 23, 2008 10:11 pm 
up.gif

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostWed Jul 23, 2008 10:42 pm 
Nice trip, Slugman!

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Jul 23, 2008 10:57 pm 
Tucker Pup is a great shot - classic pose of the dog who is tired enough to sleep on rough rock.

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostThu Jul 24, 2008 7:55 am 
Expect to be recognized more often as more folks go the the Post Office.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Jul 24, 2008 8:39 am 
ykm.gif lol.gif hihi.gif bagger.gif crutches.gif rotf.gif cool.gif

harrymalamute

harrymalamute
PostThu Jul 24, 2008 9:40 am 
you all are just to dang funny. thanks for the belly laugh this morning.

hikes and climbs with malamute
goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostThu Jul 24, 2008 10:36 am 
bcfc53 wrote:
slugman: i want your autograph and a photo with me agree.gif agree.gif
Okay, then I get a pawprint from Daisy and a picture with her & me. up.gif hockeygrin.gif Ya notice how Sluggo was not noticed until he called her name. clown.gif lol.gif lol.gif Glad you had a good time, Slugman. up.gif hockeygrin.gif The glacier part of your hike sounds fantastic.

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Jul 24, 2008 7:49 pm 
I merely bask in the reflected glory from my dog..... cool.gif embarassedlaugh.gif

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostThu Jul 24, 2008 8:38 pm 
i must get a dog then, slugman! NOT! i have enough basking in my own glory biggrin.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Jul 24, 2008 9:35 pm 
kleet wrote:
Expect to be recognized more often as more folks go the the Post Office.
$1.50? Man, talk about Sluggy being high class! I would have guessed his reward was a can of Safeway Pop, a free cookie in the bakery and a packet of honey at Starbucks lol.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.