Forum Index > Trip Reports > Apex, Cathedral & Amphitheater Mts (Paysaten Wilderness)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostTue Jul 29, 2008 12:01 am 
Great photo of the chasm on Cathedral. I managed to get a photo that shows the final step a cross, but not the earlier crossing of the chasm. I thought that was some of the oddest climbing I've ever done, because the hard moves are dealing with that chasm that's actually a deep slot inside the peak, rather than out on the face. The view of Cathedral the trail just east of the peak really impressed me also. From that side, it really looks like a cathedral built of towering white slabs of rock. I thought Apex was fascinating also, because it's such a consistent slope that you can see how elevation affects the trees - they get progresively smaller and farther apart all the way up the slope. It shows up especially well in fall when the little larches are golden.
Ian & cartman with the final step in the background
Ian & cartman with the final step in the background
Amphitheater & Cathedral Lake from Cathedral summit
Amphitheater & Cathedral Lake from Cathedral summit
Cathedral
Cathedral
Trees on Apex
Trees on Apex

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Aussie

Aussie
PostTue Jul 29, 2008 4:37 pm 
I'm heading into that area this weekend for a few days, also following the route in Backpacking Washington, but looking at doing it the opposite way to what's described. Schrader - whcih way are you doing the loop and when are you starting ?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message