Forum Index > Trip Reports > Point 6878 between Longs/Ingalls Pass - 7.30.2008
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostThu Jul 31, 2008 1:01 pm 
Finally… crystal clear, blue sky!!! Point 6878 is the highest spot on the ridge between Longs Pass and Ingalls Pass… situated very nicely to view almost all of the Teanaway Peaks (Iron Peak being the exception)… and the closest you can get to Mt. Stuart that is above 6500’ in the Teanaway area. Starting from the end of the N. Fork Teanaway road (4200’), we took the Esmeralda Basin Trail #1394 for .4 miles… where we turned right onto the Ingalls Way Trail #1390… hiking on it for 2 miles… then taking the Longs Pass Trail #1229 for .6 miles to the pass (6300’)… where we left the trail and followed the ridge NW, then north to the top of Point 6878. After a long stay on 6878, we continued NW on the ridge… soon reaching Ingalls Pass (6480’)… where we used the Ingalls Way Trail #1390 to return to the car. 8 miles roundtrip, gaining 2850 feet of elevation. Traveling from Longs Pass to Point 6878 is very straight forward… from 6878 to Ingalls Pass there is some easy Class 3 climbing (i.e. if you slip and fall, you will probably live) if you stay on the ridge… however, the Class 3 climbing can be avoided entirely by staying on the west side of the ridge. Continuing from Ingalls Pass to Fortune Peak would make a nice add-on to this trip… then returning to the car via the Esmeralda Basin Trail… I suggested this option to our group, but was out voted 3 to 1… and not being the driver on this trip removed any possible leverage that I might have had in changing the vote. No bugs yet… but you and I both know that they are currently arming themselves for battle. GPS route and photos of our hike to Point 6878. ..

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostThu Jul 31, 2008 1:07 pm 
I almost made it there once, but turned around before the summit since ice pellets were coming down & there'd be no views from the top anyway, not to mention pretty slick conditions on those rocks. huh.gif Thanks for the pics...now I know what it looks like on a sunny day! cool.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostThu Jul 31, 2008 1:12 pm 
Isn't that the peak unofficially called not-hinkhouse peak?

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostThu Jul 31, 2008 2:55 pm 
Yes it is the unofficially named "Not Hinkhouse Peak"... I had looked at the NW Peakbaggers Asylum to see if they had it listed and they didn't... I thought "Longalls Peak" might be a good fit.

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------