Forum Index > Trip Reports > Web Mountain 7/30/08
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tim Hagan

Tim Hagan
PostThu Jul 31, 2008 5:40 pm 
Our party of four climbed Web Mountain (5335 ft) on West Defiance Ridge. We ascended the Ira Spring trail to Mason Lake.
Mason Lake reflection.
Mason Lake reflection.
Then we headed up the Mt Defiance trail and traversed mist-covered flower fields towards the west ridge.
Mt Defiance trail.
Mt Defiance trail.
Of course, there were no views along the west ridge on our way to Web Mountain. The route started out on a fairly decent trail but deteriorated into somewhat tricky scrambling on loose rocks and wet heather, sometimes on the ridge top but mostly along the steep and slippery south slope.
On West Defiance Ridge.
On West Defiance Ridge.
On West Defiance Ridge.
On West Defiance Ridge.
On West Defiance Ridge.
On West Defiance Ridge.
We had a familiar view of the inside of a cloud from the summit.
Inspecting the contents of the Geo-cache on the summit of Web Mountain.
Inspecting the contents of the Geo-cache on the summit of Web Mountain.
We returned along the ridge but missed our exit in the fog and ended up descending straight down the south slope. A "secret" trail we had read about in the summit register never materialized and we wound up thrashing our way downwards through damp brush in fine style.
Oops, wrong ridge, guys.
Oops, wrong ridge, guys.
Can't see a thing, so this must be the way.
Can't see a thing, so this must be the way.
Oh yeah, this looks better.
Oh yeah, this looks better.
Almost down.
Almost down.
The little man on my Garmin GPS led us to the side trail that takes off from the first switchback on the Ira Spring trail. Five minutes later we were wringing out our boots and drinking the beers we had carried up to the summit and back. All in all, a pretty stoopid loop, and not recommended. At least, not the way we did it. Car to Summit: 7.0 miles in 4 hours Summit to Car: 2.5 miles in 3 hours And finally, a couple of flowers ...
Scouler's Harebell (Campanula scouleri) on the Ira Spring trail.
Scouler's Harebell (Campanula scouleri) on the Ira Spring trail.
Dripping wet Tiger Lilies (Lilium columbianum) on the Mt Defiance trail.
Dripping wet Tiger Lilies (Lilium columbianum) on the Mt Defiance trail.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Jul 31, 2008 11:25 pm 
I ave done the loop before and it is far easier to star from the IS trailhead and go straight at the first switchbak. then continue up toward Putrid Pete'sPeak then head right when the summit is in view and head for the ridge continue on the ridge until an easy path down to the north appears, soon you will intersect the Mount Defiance Trail follow that to Mason lake and follow either the Mason Lake or IS trail down.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
tigermn

tigermn
PostFri Aug 01, 2008 8:07 am 
Ok I'll ask probably a stupid question but I'm a map reader/investgator type so it looks like another possible way on the map and wondered it anyone had done it. Specifically could you hook up to this peak from Dirty Harry's creek/museum area? From being up Dirty Harry'slast week, not sure if it would be reasonable to get up the first part. Looked real dense brush and steep. Hmm the track I drew says 1.3 miles 2241 feet gained (1723+ ft/mile)....Maybe I'm a fool... but a curious fool I guess.
Web Mountain from Dirty Harry? Is this possible?
Web Mountain from Dirty Harry? Is this possible?

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Aug 01, 2008 9:14 am 
here is also an established trail from the upper spur of Dirty Harry's Road just below the talus to Upper Granite Pond. There are then two routes to Banana Ridge one up the valley and the other up talus. From banana ridge you can easily acces Putrid Pete's Peak aka Web Mountain. There are geocaches both on banana ridge and along the route.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostFri Aug 01, 2008 9:28 am 
bikejr wrote:
Specifically could you hook up to this peak from Dirty Harry's creek/museum area?
Yes. The trail up Web starts right before you cross Museum creek. It's not really brushy, but it is steep, and follows the ridge crest to the summit. Trip Report

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
tigermn

tigermn
PostFri Aug 01, 2008 9:35 am 
dicey wrote:
bikejr wrote:
Specifically could you hook up to this peak from Dirty Harry's creek/museum area?
Yes. The trail up Web starts right before you cross Museum creek. It's not really brushy, but it is steep, and follows the ridge crest to the summit. Trip Report
I think I saw that "trail" just before the creek. It didn't look well traveled/and kinda brushy at least where it starts. Kind of wondered what it was/might be. Thought it might lead to the museum wherever that is. A reason to return.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Aug 01, 2008 9:49 am 
That trail also goes to the museum Straight up to intersect an old road at a cairn then follow road to museum.

tigermn

tigermn
PostFri Aug 01, 2008 9:57 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
here is also an established trail from the upper spur of Dirty Harry's Road just below the talus to Upper Granite Pond. There are then two routes to Banana Ridge one up the valley and the other up talus. From banana ridge you can easily acces Putrid Pete's Peak aka Web Mountain. There are geocaches both on banana ridge and along the route.
Yea you mean the dotted thing that continues east/straight where you take the sharp left to continue up the trail (or alternately go up the talus)
Dirty Harry area.
Dirty Harry area.