Forum Index > Trail Talk > Wenatchee NF update......
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Aug 01, 2008 3:06 pm 
From the Wenatchee NF website: " TRAILHEAD VANDALISM & THEFTS: Acts of malicious mischief have recently been occurring at the North Fork Entiat Trailhead on the Entiat Ranger District. There have also been instances of thefts at campgrounds in the Lake Wenatchee area and at trailheads up the Icicle drainage outside of Leavenworth. No trailhead, roadside parking area, or campground is safe against vehicle prowlers and thieves. Nothing of value should be left in a vehicle parked in the woods. Trail users are asked to check their vehicles over thoroughly before leaving the trailhead parking area for home. Look for nails under the tires, check trailer hitch pins to make sure they are secure, and inspect vehicles and trailers for anything unusual. Please report any suspicious persons or activities seen to 911, to Chelan County Sheriff’s office at 509-667-6400, or to Forest Service law enforcement at 509-664-9236. " Nails under the tires? Hitch pins undone? mad.gif mad.gif http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/wenatchee/recreation/report/

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mtnrider

mtnrider
PostFri Aug 01, 2008 4:53 pm 
We recently spent four days up the North Fork Entiat. Our rig, with horse trailer, was at the trailhead. No problem. Our friend, Bruce Wick, leaves his rigs there all the time. No problem. There were a few hikers cars there. No problem. This is a trailhead we have never had a problem at and we've been going there for over thirty years. Mary S.

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostFri Aug 01, 2008 4:53 pm 
And here we thought our only problem on the Wenatchee was Barry and his tape measure....

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Aug 01, 2008 5:33 pm 
mtnrider wrote:
This is a trailhead we have never had a problem at and we've been going there for over thirty years.
That is where I get depressed - ours had been Elwha until my friends car got broken into a couple years ago. In truth, nowhere is safe anymore to those who are bored or of wanting what we have.

Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostFri Aug 01, 2008 6:06 pm 
What's conventional wisdom on locking your car at trailheads? Lock it, or just leave it open?

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostFri Aug 01, 2008 6:19 pm 
If you have a newer model car and have theft insurance, you about have to lock your car--if the insurance folks find out you didn't, they may not pay. I make sure there's nothing in the car and that this condition is obvious--glove box open, center console open. Since I have a late model Toyota (more popular for car thieves) I also set the alarm and put a "Club" on the steering wheel. Neither will deter a determined thief, but at least the combination of factors means it will take longer for the thief to get inside, thus hopefully making it less attractive. I have no idea whatsoever if all this really works, or if I've just been lucky so far! The ideal hiking car is a beat-up ancient (but not antique) model, full of dents, scratches, ripped upholstery, peeling paint, etc., left unlocked (since the only insurance is for liability) and with nothing inside but maybe an old pair of smelly sneakers and maybe some old candy wrappers. One problem with this scenario is that you have to be able to fix the old beater if it breaks down going to or from the trailhead, something which I have not the skills to do. The latest thing in the Portland area is stealing catalytic converters from parked cars for the metals they contain. High-clearance cars are more prone to this type of theft. This practice would, of course, be stopped in its tracks if all junk and scrap metal dealers would require identification and documentation.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostFri Aug 01, 2008 7:10 pm 
A quick glance inside my truck and bed reveals the contents are probably enough to deter anyone wanting to investigate further. In the bed might be a rotted yam or squash that fell out of a grocery bag and left there a pair or two of slimey, putrid socks with a hazy fuzz of white mold sprouting from them, a purple t-shirt that's been laying in a pool of water so long that it's sprouting hemlocks - inside the cab is melted chocolate on the seats, a half-eaten peanut butter & jelly sandwich on the dash, tampons and toothpaste in the door compartments, cherry pits and pennies stuck together by honey and god knows what else laying in the gear shift housing and you're pretty much turned off of investigating further.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
DRSpalding
Probably riding MTB

DRSpalding
Probably riding MTB
PostFri Aug 01, 2008 7:23 pm 
That is over the top! If we ever partner up to hike in the Suiattle to Miners Ridge and Image Lake, Quark, I will let you drive but I'll wear my rain suit inside your truck. smile.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Aug 01, 2008 7:34 pm 
Lol...I was thinking - the old dirty diaper trick might go back into my truck. Get a nasty candy bar and a diaper. Unwrap bar, place in diaper, melt in microwave. Mmmmmm! Leave on back seat partially unrolling. 2 or 3. biggrin.gif

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Aug 01, 2008 7:55 pm 
Or wrap up garbage to look like a gift.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Movenhike
\m/..mmmmetal\m/

Movenhike
\m/..mmmmetal\m/
PostFri Aug 01, 2008 8:09 pm 
My "BEATER" and proud of it! Got it for $500.00.
LHOCHSA 026
LHOCHSA 026
Wanna break in? take a look see, steal a handsaw, or a couple quarts of motor oil? But really, feel free to leave a couple PBR's in the back.
LHOCHSA 027
LHOCHSA 027

"Make it your Friend" -John Bull
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostFri Aug 01, 2008 9:14 pm 
DRSpalding wrote:
If we ever partner up to hike in the Suiattle to Miners Ridge and Image Lake, Quark, I will let you drive but I'll wear my rain suit inside your truck. smile.gif
O, well....I muck it out if I'm having a guest. It looks it's worst Monday through Friday. By Saturday morning, it's usually cleaned out again if there will be a passenger; if I'm by myself, I leave it and add more stuff to the to the collection. Even when I clean it out, I'm careful to not clean too thoroughly. More than once I was glad to have that extra pair o' socks back there; putrid or not, it's better than none (well, usually). I came off a trail after a long backpack once (well, long for me), and was so damned hungry; I rooted around the truck like a ravenous hog and came up with a handful of almonds and some Twizzlers. It doesn't matter how old almonds and Twizzlers are; they're still good. I et that, and it got me to the Backwoods Cafe where I then et a proper meal. So to speak.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSat Aug 02, 2008 9:14 am 
The more i hear about break ins, and now nail under tires and other malicious activities, the more i think a bait car is appropiate! It's only a mater of time before cars get stolen from trail head. It's only a mater of time before a hiker returns to the trail head to find some thieve rummaging through there car. A confrontation is inevetiable the consequence's of such a confrontation concern me. I can think of more the a few gravel forest service roads in the twenty mile range, that i've gone on a day hike, to return to the trail head with a solo car mine. Should a day hiker, only prepared for a day hike, in say late fall and it begins to snow, and decides to return to his\ her car, to find it stolen! This is a life threatening situation. It's only a mater of time before it happens. There needs to be a bait car!

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential