Forum Index > Trip Reports > TNAB Mulcts McClellan’s Butte
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mntsun
Wunderer

mntsun
Wunderer
PostFri Aug 01, 2008 3:19 pm 
Malachi, Dan, Yet, Team Lykken (Scott & Josie & Z&A), Larry & Digger = Team ES (Early Start) Yukon222, Magnum, Cmurph & Mazzy, onetwolaugh , Mntsun = Team NS (Normal Start) Team Schmidt & Dicey = Team LS (Late Start) The outlook did not look positive for the TNAB Eastgate carpool crew at 5pm, as the rain moved in from the west and began spitting as we loaded our packs. Ever the PNW optimists, we noted the storm was moving north and may miss us in the mountains. Besides, how bad could it get? (this year's Dirty Harry’s Peak obviously not coming to mind) We found the cheater (or mulct-er) road without issue besides wondering if we were going the right road or not. This did shave some time off the climb but took us past the lads shooting out the tv with semi-automatic weapons. There were a couple icky snow fields/bridges to cross in hiking boots. Views to the rain opened up, but did not open up on us. Team NS made the summit < 1:40, an apparently similar time to Team ES already on the summit. This allowed for several moments of rehydration while watching the rains moving in towards us. As nobody cared to voluntarily navigate wet rocks on the descent, everyone was off the summit and zooming down by 8pm. Everyone, that is, except Team LS, who magically appeared around 8:15 somewhere near the summit. Dogs from all three teams may have summited multiple times. Return time was a casual 73 minutes, knowing we had a group behind us. Headlamps were NOT donned and nobody “lost the summit” due to an unnecessarily illuminated descent tongue.gif . Some hazing may have occurred. Stories were shared as we awaited Team LS who returned to fanfare and beverages. Teams again rearranged like a hiking square dance as some went to get food and others to get sleep. We found and kept the rain west of Si, although TNAB does not get rain, the rain gets TNAB (wait, is that right?). A low-key night, hastened by portending rain, only gaining 3100’, and of course, by cheating (or mulcting). mulct 2. To acquire by trickery or deception.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst
PostFri Aug 01, 2008 4:02 pm 
Thanks for leading the troops this week, and for expanding my vocabulary (mulct?). I was thinking about you all as I was riding the mc in the rain. huh.gif And who knew TV's were in season? lol.gif Cheers, -Mark

Cheers, Mesahchie Mark
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Aug 01, 2008 4:10 pm 
Mark it was self defense the TV or the yahoos A few pix
Scramble Up
Scramble Up
Shoe Shot
Shoe Shot
Across the Way II
Across the Way II
Across the Way I
Across the Way I
Last of the Sun
Last of the Sun
West View Rain on the way!
West View Rain on the way!
Duke and Dutchess
Duke and Dutchess
Scramble Down
Scramble Down
ES Team
ES Team

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
mntsun
Wunderer

mntsun
Wunderer
PostFri Aug 01, 2008 5:25 pm 
McDistance1
McDistance1
McDistance2
McDistance2
McExposed Class2
McExposed Class2
McFinal Scramble
McFinal Scramble
McMordor
McMordor
Mc Mazzy Stares Down The Rain
Mc Mazzy Stares Down The Rain
McDogs Have No Trouble on Snow Bridges
McDogs Have No Trouble on Snow Bridges

Yet

Yet
PostFri Aug 01, 2008 6:33 pm 
Mesahchie Mark wrote:
I was thinking about you all as I was riding the mc in the rain. huh.gif
Of course Mark meant mc = motorcycle and not Malachai Constant or More Cowbell. huh.gif embarassedlaugh.gif mntsun, nice writeup, but you forgot my Team = TAT! As in TurnAround Team when the snow bridges look sketchy. eek.gif Sometimes I wish I were a dog. Nah, not really. embarassedlaugh.gif Not that I could not do it, I just did not want to! tongue.gif wink.gif One of the nice things about turning around is getting to see the rest of the group coming up all sweaty and short of breath while I was fresh as a daisy strolling down the trail. La la la ... hockeygrin.gif ps: Mark brought me home some snickerdoodles today. Yet = Happy smile.gif

yukon222

yukon222
PostFri Aug 01, 2008 8:12 pm 
The 2nd snowbridge crossing was definitely an attention getter. Lots of possible drop to the ground below or a long, long potential slide down the snow to the bottom of the gully hundreds of feet below. paranoid.gif First TNAB this season without any kind of sunset. frown.gif Fortunately, the rain held off completely even though thick clouds and mist were beginning to envelope the nearby ridges.

touron

touron
PostFri Aug 01, 2008 8:27 pm 
Neat shot of the distant lookout! up.gif up.gif up.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen

Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen
PostSat Aug 02, 2008 12:17 am 
It was fun to finally do McClellan Butte after hearing all about the scramble at the top. The late start (6:45pm) wasn't so great, but we made it up in good time (1:25). Thanks for waiting for us at the bottom, guys! up.gif
Flying up the trail trying to make up for a late start
Flying up the trail trying to make up for a late start
Views from McClellan
Views from McClellan
The "queens" of McClellan
The "queens" of McClellan
Dude disrespects the summit cairn
Dude disrespects the summit cairn
Heading back down off the summit block
Heading back down off the summit block
A little reward waiting at the trailhead
A little reward waiting at the trailhead
Dude took a video going up, but I must say, it makes McClellan Butte live up to the "butte" part with all the close up booty shots of me!!! embarassedlaugh.gif

Radnord

Radnord
PostSat Aug 02, 2008 9:59 am 
Ahh, McClellan Butte, a classic climb. The trail in is rather lengthy so I am curious about this: "We found the cheater (or mulct-er) road without issue besides wondering if we were going the right road or not. This did shave some time off the climb but took us past the lads shooting out the tv with semi-automatic weapons." Where is this "mulct-er?" Did you re-connect with the trail or take a different way up? Good pics and video (as usual) smile.gif

To you, is it movement or is it action, is it contact or just reaction, and you, revolution or just resistance, is this living or just existance? Yeah you, it takes a little more persistence to get up and go the distance.
yukon222

yukon222
PostSat Aug 02, 2008 10:14 am 
Just take Exit 38, go right on Road 9020. Stay on that main road for several miles as it ascends. About 1/3 mile before the road deadends at the Alice Creek washout, the trail cuts across the road and there are places to pull off and park.

Radnord

Radnord
PostSat Aug 02, 2008 10:33 am 
Thanks Yukon!

To you, is it movement or is it action, is it contact or just reaction, and you, revolution or just resistance, is this living or just existance? Yeah you, it takes a little more persistence to get up and go the distance.
Mikey

Mikey
PostSat Aug 02, 2008 12:22 pm 
Schmidt Alti-Babe and Dude Would you please say a few words about how you took (what camera) and made your video? It is very very good in my opinion. I have made a number of "moving photos" using old technology ranging from Super 8 (rock climbing such as in Icicle Creek) and SVHS (instructional) and to obtain a photo sequence such as you did is impressive (holding the camera while walking and climbing is not that easy). My apologies if this question actually belongs in the "Photo section" Thanks. Mike

Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen

Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen
PostSat Aug 02, 2008 12:31 pm 
No problem, Mikey. It's just a Canon SD800 IS in movie mode. Dude holds it out as he walks. I add the clip to my movie editing program so I can put music in the background. That's it. up.gif I find our Canon S3IS takes much better movies. The SD800 can be a bit pixelated IMO.

Yet

Yet
PostMon Aug 04, 2008 4:05 pm 
Wow - just watched the video. Can't believe Jeremy was filming and scrambling up at the same time! up.gif Very nice! Felt like I was there. And of course, dicey and Tish made it look easy. agree.gif

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostMon Aug 04, 2008 4:24 pm 
the video was pretty good, dude. i didn't hear you breathing like it some of the other videos. maybe because there was no commentary. you are getting pretty good with the camera. up.gif but the whippets, OMG, they just fly up the trail! they must have their doggie badges for the most summit climbs!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss