Forum Index > Trip Reports > TNAB Mulcts McClellan’s Butte
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee
PostMon Aug 04, 2008 5:47 pm 
Thanks for panning the camera around and reminding me why I passed on that last scramble. dizzy.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dancing Hiker

Dancing Hiker
PostMon Aug 04, 2008 6:48 pm 
Wow, You guys made that scramble look easy, and those whippets must be part mountain goat. How would that scramble compare with say the Haystack on Mt. Si? It doesn't look as steep, of course video can be deceiving, but it looks like it has more exposure. I can usually climb stuff like that with no problem, but coming down is a completely different story.

Dancing hiker...formerly known as slowhiker, but was afraid I'd be confused with Slow Hiker, and slowwalker.
Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster
PostMon Aug 04, 2008 7:12 pm 
The only time we did the haystack it was completely fogged in so we may not have gotten the real experience as far as assessing the exposure. I see to remember the Haystack being steeper and more technical to climb. The McClellan summit was definitely tamer IMO. bcfc53: I think the girls are still behind Jasper on thir total summit list.

Anything stated by me in no way reflects the attitudes or opinions of my wife
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Aug 04, 2008 7:14 pm 
pretty comperable to the haystack. The exposure is probably greater at the top of the haystack before the gullies on the way down. Either would be 2nd class, hands not necessary. Nice thing about MB is no choss except at top and then it would fall off the sidehill. smile.gif Cheers

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
mntsun
Wunderer

mntsun
Wunderer
PostMon Aug 04, 2008 10:21 pm 
I dunno, having done both a couple times, I would rate Haystack moderately to much harder. However, in the wrong conditions, MB has the potential to harm one much faster than falling and hitting the others on the Haystack, and I have heard bad stories on what it is like in the snow (and the recent fatalities on MB do not help its case).

tigermn

tigermn
PostMon Aug 04, 2008 10:51 pm 
These are memories from the late 80's but I doubt the mountains have changed... Haystack harder/longer to get up and down but I don't remember the exposure at least appearing as scary. The butte as I remember was really pretty easy just that exposure is surely there and if you fall it isn't gonna be pretty and there isn't much to stop you except the sharp sloped jagged rock piece, and it looks too steep to me to stop you and if it did you would probably be pretty banged up. I really had to be coaxed/peer pressured up the Butte just because of the falling risk. I probably wouldn't do it again since I'm pretty much an exposure wimp and as the Angry Hiker says... Why risk it all for a better view of I-90. The views are all better off Granite or even Tenerife anyway. Peakbaggers I suppose have to make it to the top for it to be official.