Forum Index > Trip Reports > Marauding Mosquitoes at Merritt and Mount Mastiff 7-31-08
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rdyhiker

rdyhiker
PostFri Aug 01, 2008 10:33 pm 
A solo trip to Rainier morphed into a duo scramble east of Stevens when Steve, the scramble instructor who administered first aid and splinted my wrist the day I fractured it, said he'd join me. But driving that far didn't appeal. And just back from Del Campo, he was ready for a simple hike; I was keen for a scramble. Clearly compromises were in order. Solution: choice of area was his as the driver; destination was up to me. So 9:15 Thurs. morning, an hour later than planned due to my unplanned return journey home for forgotten boots, we set off from the Merritt Lake trailhead bound for Mounts Mastiff (and hopefully) Howard. Eager to make up for lost time, I set off at a brisk pace - a little too brisk it soon became apparent. Our first time hiking together and Steve and I had to find a comfortable joint pace. That accomplished, we hiked happily along in the still cool morning air, up the many switchbacks, blissfully unaware of the attack to come. It wasn't until the Merritt Lake trail junction 2+ miles in that we had our first encounter with the nasty little flying critters that became our constant companions. Foolishly, we didn't heed the warning. We decided to check out the lake and the possible route Steve's usual scramble partner had told him about around the back side by Lost Lake up to Mastiff. Besides, I had reason - or so I innocently thought - for confidence. Not only was I sporting my pricey 'Buzz-Off' Ex-Officio pants, I had taken the precaution at the trailhead to spray not just my exposed skin, but my shirt, with bug juice. Then I'd applied an extra layer of roll-on deet on my ears, around the perimeter of my face and on the back of my hands. I had learned my lesson at Leprechaun Lake a few weeks earlier. No welts for me this time. Steve, poor 'bugger', went in totally unprotected. Not that it made much difference. It's only a mile to the lake from the junction so we were there before we even realized how much the bug population was increasing with every step. The hordes at the lake soon snapped us out of our reverie however. Let the slapping - and the cursing - begin. I've rarely seen so many 'squitoes and black flies. All of them voraciously hungry. And not a one seemingly put off by buzz-off or deet or picardin or any such feeble man-made formulas. I hurriedly snapped a pic of the lake while Steve feverishly applied what he didn't yet realize was to be mostly ineffective bug ointments.
Early view back to Nason Ridge
Early view back to Nason Ridge
Merritt Lake
Merritt Lake
A quick scurry around the lake, trying in vain to stay a step ahead of the bugs, to the north end to assess the possibilities. Hmmmm... a steep slope of talus and scree with what looks to be a cliff behind. Let's look at the map. 'You know, slap, it looks doable.' Slap,' it looks tough.' 'Yeah, slap, but, slap, it looks doable, slap, slap'. 'Shall we?... slap, ouch!, slap '(little bastards)' 'Dunno, slap-slap- slap, shall we?' 'Let's GO - - one way or another while we still have some blood.' This being our first time on a trail together and thus not knowing each others capabilities, we decided to go back and take the standard route, leaving the Merritt/Lost Lake route exploration for another day. Another day before or after bug season, that is. We hurried back to the trail junction hoping to leave the little vampires behind with the lake and set off to find the scramble boot path up Mastiff. To be continued... with more pics, less dialogue.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
rdyhiker

rdyhiker
PostMon Aug 04, 2008 11:52 pm 
Time got away from me as I wrote the above Friday night and I had a very early start the next day (3:45 rising time). Looked for a 'save as a draft' button for what I'd written. Not finding anything similar, decided to submit it rather than lose it all. Only later did it dawn on me that I could have copied and pasted it in Word. Apologies for the piecemeal TR. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- We set off for Mastiff via the Nason Ridge trail. The flying hordes followed, completely undeterred by our lotions and potions. So it would be all day. It seemed once they got our scent, they locked in, no matter where or how far we traveled. Now I need to acknowledge and thank Trail Pair (TP) for some excellent beta from their TR in 2005 that helped us on our way. Things haven't changed much on this trail in the last 3 years. Having read their description, we began watching for the scramble boot path a mile or so later. Another 1/4 -1/2 mile further we saw what we were pretty sure must be it leading off to the right. To confirm that it was the correct path, we looked for the nails TP spotted.
Trail Pair wrote:
We were hiking along the trail and actually zippped right by the scramble trail. About 1/4 mile farther we decided that we must have missed the junciton and backtracked. this time with more careful observation wwe spotted the route at about el.5,400 ft. An observant hiker will notice nails in a tree that once held a sign.
They were almost impossible to spot viewing them straight on, but jumped out at us when viewed from the side.
Rusted nails of the long-gone sign marking the scramble boot path
Rusted nails of the long-gone sign marking the scramble boot path
Beginning of the boot path, which we lost, then found again many times
Beginning of the boot path, which we lost, then found again many times
Leaving the well-defined Nason Ridge trail, our route now alternated between a narrow, but distinct, path to a non-existent one. Still in forest, as we had been since the start of the hike, there was no view of our destination or anything else to guide us. This is where Steve and I discovered that we have two different, but complimentary, styles of route finding. Being a big picture person and having taken a bearing at the trailhead, Steve would whip out his compass to determine in which direction we should be headed. Meanwhile I would rove, my eyes searching the area and the forest floor in front of me. Usually I would see either the smashed flora evidence of previous hikers' passage or simply what appeared to be a reasonable, passable route and would shortly find the trail again with a triumphant holler. At other times we wandered a bit with Steve keeping us on course and pointed in the right general direction as indicated by his compass reading. Teamwork, and it served us well.
Steve taking a bearing
Steve taking a bearing
Early sign of weather moving in - rain likely within 12 hours.
Early sign of weather moving in - rain likely within 12 hours.
Always though, we were swatting and cursing and beginning to itch. And from what Steve tells me, there was an almost permanent swarm of darting little bodies around my head and neck. The welts I took home on my neck and shoulders tell the same story. At one point we saw a very distinct trail heading down to the right. Remembering TP's description of the route dropping 30-40 ft. we began to follow it and walked straight into marshland.
Trail Pair wrote:
The route drops down about 30-40 ft, on the east side of the ridge on good rock with good footing....
Too late we realized that the drop was supposed to occur after we reached rock and that this route probably led to Lost Lake. But a whole new army of flying critters had already caught our scent and began feasting. Swatting furiously now, we beat a hasty retreat, while still snapping a few shots of the views across the valley and below.
Eastern portion of Nason Ridge
Eastern portion of Nason Ridge
The Chiwaukum Mountains
The Chiwaukum Mountains
Lost Lake
Lost Lake
Another 15 minutes or so and we emerged from the forest with the rock ridge(s) to Mastiff directly in front of us. Here we encountered a small troop of 5 boy scouts with their leader about ready to head back. They had not gone on to Mastiff as it was "technical" from there. This last was said with broad emphasis accompanied by dubious glances at me. Obviously I did not fit their idea of a person who would be capable of doing anything "technical". And now at last, the really fun part - the part I had come for - began. Everything we'd read indicated that the Class 3 scramble had some exposure, but was on solid rock and was not too diffiicult to manage. This proved to be the case. And again, Trail Pair did the best job of describing it.
Trail Pair wrote:
We scrambled up and down for about 200 yards until we reached the north end of the knife edge, then started working our way back towards the ridge crest. From there we crossed a boulder field then up a heather slope to the summit.
It definitely required some care and caution in spots crossing under the knife-edge, but it was never unnerving. And for much of the way there was a faint little boot path one could follow, if desired.
Heading toward the knife edge, not yet visible
Heading toward the knife edge, not yet visible
Part of the boot path that rises and falls on the traverse just below the knife edge ridge.
Part of the boot path that rises and falls on the traverse just below the knife edge ridge.
Me and a Mastiff
Me and a Mastiff
Tough to see the faint trail in the right forefront as we scrambled the traverse.
Tough to see the faint trail in the right forefront as we scrambled the traverse.
Steve heading up.  We're past the knife edge now.
Steve heading up. We're past the knife edge now.
Mastiff
Mastiff
One of the boulder fields ahead - and more clouds moving in
One of the boulder fields ahead - and more clouds moving in
Steve on the boulder field
Steve on the boulder field
Heather and Lupines brighten the way
Heather and Lupines brighten the way
We stayed at the summit a while, signing the register and soaking up the views. And Mount Howard, only a mile and a saddle away, beckoned enticingly.
Cairn marking the false summit
Cairn marking the false summit
On the true summit
On the true summit
Retrieving the register
Retrieving the register
Register browsing
Register browsing
Lake Wenatchee
Lake Wenatchee
Glacier Peak
Glacier Peak
Monte Cristo Peaks
Monte Cristo Peaks
Looking down on the saddle from Mastiffe to Howard - with Mount Howard on the left
Looking down on the saddle from Mastiffe to Howard - with Mount Howard on the left
Well, it beckoned me anyway. Steve was completely impervious to the call and despite my entreaties to the contrary, I had to agree that the gathering clouds had now taken on an ominous color. And rain had been in the forecast. The thought of getting to Howard and back only to be caught at the knife-edge as the skies unleashed was not at all appealing. One last plea on paper and I relinquished the idea.
My written plea, once the verbal one failed, to continue on to Howard.  ::)
My written plea, once the verbal one failed, to continue on to Howard. smile.gif
Clouds over Howard grow increasingly dark
Clouds over Howard grow increasingly dark
Heading back
Heading back
High alpine garden
High alpine garden
Getting back was a little trickier than we had imagined it would be. And here we did not remember Trail Pair's description or we might have avoided the same mistake. It wasn't until just now writing this report and referencing their TR that I realize that we did almost exactly the same thing on our return as they did.
Trail Pair wrote:
The down climb was on a faint boot tread until we reached the knife edge. We stared our scramble across the rocky face and were making good time.....until we missed a steep "up" section of the route. Knowing the best route was up high we found an acceptable alertnate route and pulled ourselves up through some brush to the correct route. From there it was easy getting back to the ridge and to the main trail.
The view of the knife edge on our return.
The view of the knife edge on our return.
We made it back to the car without incident in about 2 1/2 hours. I swear though that the switchbacks the last 2 miles had been s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d since that morning. They were e-n-d-l-e-s-s, l-o-n-g traverses with maddeningly little descent. Those last 2 miles seemed to take forever to cover. It took all reserves of patience not to just head straight down the slope, the environment be d-----! rant.gif Or rather it took all Steve's reserves to keep me from ranting about it. Talk of Mexican food and beer was the only distraction that worked. But would we have to wait until Monroe? Joy! Right in the middle of Gold Bar we shrieked to a stop when we saw the "La Hacienda" sign. 45 minutes later we were back on the road, our stomachs heavy but satisfied. Howard still calls though. And I - scratch, scratch - still itch. Scratch, scratch. RT, including the side trip to Merritt Lake, is 12 miles. Elevation gain is 3700 feet.

tomastaylor

tomastaylor
PostTue Aug 05, 2008 6:18 am 
That was a nice report. I'd like to go on that scramble some day. The day after you went on this hike, my wife and I hiked up to Merritt Lake on the same trail and then headed over on the Nason Trail to Alpine Lookout. I've found that the only thing that works to thwart mosquitoes is bug juice with 98% Deet. Anything weaker has no effect on the mosquitoes in the Lake Wenatchee area at all. Slathered with 98% Deet, the mosquitoes were hardly noticeable. View along the Nason Ridge trail
By the way, we counted the switchbacks on the lower part of the Merritt Lake trail and there are 27 of them.

rdyhiker

rdyhiker
PostTue Aug 05, 2008 7:03 am 
Thanks, tomas. As long as you're comfortable with some exposure the scramble is very doable. And depending on your skill/interest level, there is the option of what sounds like a great one way route. It requires 2 cars, one left at the Rock Mtn trailhead a couple miles before the Merritt turnoff. From Mastiff you can scramble down to the saddle, then up Howard, down to Crescent Lake and out via Nason Ridge again to Rock Mtn. That would be 13 miles with an elevation of 5500 feet. 98% Deet, huh? As often as I'm out, I wonder if I would have any skin left afterwards. smile.gif Good to know it works though as a reserve plan. Nice photo!

yukon222

yukon222
PostTue Aug 05, 2008 8:34 am 
Excellent TR! So much beta that I felt like I was on the trip. But with all of the mosquitoes, perhaps best I was not. lol.gif I'm putting this area on my fall list when the bugs might be less hungry. hockeygrin.gif

sherpa

sherpa
PostWed Aug 06, 2008 8:59 am 
As usual rdyhiker was always one step ahead of me. Brisk and light she was...barely touching the surface of the trail. This was a great trip and would recommend it as a weekday hike as it is a destination point for weekend worriers. ps I promise next time the Howard loop...I'll drive again

rdyhiker

rdyhiker
PostWed Aug 06, 2008 9:13 am 
Thanks, yukon. It's not epic material... but if you were to bag Rock Mtn also and do it as a loop (in via Merritt, bag Mastiff, Howard and Rock then out Merritt again), it might be worthy of your consideration. winksmile.gif The first 3 miles are not that interesting though (so the last 3 wouldn't be either). Not sure what the Nason Ridge walk connecting them is like. Definitely wait until the flying critters die down though. sherpa, be careful what you promise.. I just may take you up on that! lol.gif BTW: we were only the 2nd group - after a party of 3 on June 21st - to sign the register this year. smile.gif

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster
PostWed Aug 06, 2008 9:27 am 
Very entertaining trip report. I'll give you my hard won secret for "saving" trip report. Instead of writing your rough draft as a new trip report post, write it as a PM to yourself. You can send it to yourself any time you want to "save" it. Then open the PM, hit the quote button, remove the [quote] codes from the beginning and end and continue on. You can add pictures as well, which is the advantage over writing the rough draft in word. When it is ready you can copy everything in the writing box and then paste it into a new trip report. This is also convenient for a multiple member hike because everyone can pre-write their responses and post them as soon as someone posts the trip report.

Anything stated by me in no way reflects the attitudes or opinions of my wife
rdyhiker

rdyhiker
PostWed Aug 06, 2008 9:40 am 
Thanks, Dude! For both the compliment and for the draft-saving tips. I never woulda thought of that method, but I knew there must be a way. I also always wondered how you guys were able to coordinate TR releases/responses so well. agree.gif