Forum Index > Trip Reports > Grand Valley, ONP, 8/4/2008
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hermes

hermes
PostThu Aug 07, 2008 11:00 am 
This was a dayhike scouting trip for a backpack trip planned for later this month. There aren't many roads to trail heads that are worth a photo of their own but this one is worth several -
Obstruction Point Road and Car Park
Obstruction Point Road and Car Park
The trail stays high along Lillian Ridge with tremendous views into the heart of the Olympics
Olympic highlights from Lillian Ridge
Olympic highlights from Lillian Ridge
The ridge itself is somewhat Burroughsesque as noted in another recent report. Had a chat with this little fellow along the trail
Great to meet you - have a nice day
Great to meet you - have a nice day
shortly after which I could see into the upper Lillian Valley
Upper Lillian Valley from Ridge
Upper Lillian Valley from Ridge
Looks like there is going to be a fair bit of snow to traverse to get out of the Lillian Basin into the Lost River Basin through the coll on the right of McCartney Peak. May have to change the plan! I wandered the non-trail along the ridge past where the main trail drops into Grand Valley. This is definitely not an option for the backpack trip! Flowers meadows on the way down from the ridge into the valley were abundant
Flower meadows on the trail down to Grand Valley
Flower meadows on the trail down to Grand Valley
and the creek sides were glowing
growth along snow melt creek on the way down to Grand Valley
growth along snow melt creek on the way down to Grand Valley
Even more meadows awaited on the hike up to Gladys Lake and a charming resting spot built off the trail!
Little seat in meadows between Moose and Gladys lakes
Little seat in meadows between Moose and Gladys lakes
Little Gladys is surrounded by marsh and stagnant waters and the skeeters just love it and me too!
Gladys Lake
Gladys Lake
I looked around the campsites and all but one was completely bug invested - maybe it was just that day but Moose seemed to be breezier and I might try to change my permit to that for the backpack. I didn't see a wilderness toilet at Gladys - anybody know if there is one there? Heading up towards Low Pass brings more lush meadows
Lush meadows between Gladys Lake and Low Pass
Lush meadows between Gladys Lake and Low Pass
Grand Pass looks rugged but obviously passable by the many hikers in the area.
Looking up towards Grand Pass
Looking up towards Grand Pass
Low Pass on the other hand looks gentle and rolling - I'm looking forward to going over the top in a couple of weeks!
Low Pass
Low Pass
As I was scanning the pass for traces of a boot path one of a group of hikers returning from Grand Pass pointed out exactly where the path starts and gave me great beta on the trip beyond. But I had to turn around here to get back to Port Angeles to meet the boat from Victoria. The hike out was hot and buggy until I got above 5000ft where the breeze resumed. The climb is daunting
Your Mission...
Your Mission...
but from the top I sailed back to the parking lot. Excellent hike - can't wait to get back there! Already got lots of help from Silence on the backpack trip but any recent beta on the trip beyond Low Pass - especially the conditions above Lillian Lakes would be very welcome....tia

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message