Forum Index > Trip Reports > TNAB spent on Kendall Peak now in Pour House 08-07-08
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
huron

huron
PostFri Aug 08, 2008 3:30 pm 
Destination Kendall Peak N of Snoqualmie Pass el about 5,700+ Low angle PCT approach 10 miles RT Conditions: Hazy sunshine Warm & dry Thick with flies & mosquitoes ******************************* Report from Runningbird: Dan, Yet-Mesahchie-Rufus, Lykkens-Z&A= Team Commonwealth Yukon222, Magnum, Damon, Joseph, Dale, BarbE, Rowdy Hiker and Runningbird= Team PCT Schmidtaltitude = Team LS (Late Start) Team PCT assembled at the trail head starting up the trail just after 6. The weather was ideal although there were some rumblings about sweltering heat and humidity. Despite the longer distance we had elected to take the PCT rather than the Commonwealth to avoid route finding (and stream fording)issues. Before leaving, warnings were exchanged regarding ever so tempting side trails that appear to lead directly to Kendall Peak – but actually disappear into an impenetrable brush bash. Team PCT encountered Team Lykken retreating from the most tempting side trail after it had become an impenetrable brush bash; Team Lykken joined Team PCT and we continued on together. At the final turn on the PCT before the trail up Kendall we met Mesahchie and Yet looking fresh and cheery. We got to the summit before 8 only to discover it had already been claimed by starving blackflies and mosquitoes. Thanks to Yukon for his generosity with the Eucalyptus bug spray. Team Schmidt met up with us on the summit setting a record pace once again. Time spent on the summit was influenced by fabulous TNAB camaraderie; the incredible beauty of a spectacular sunset and self preservation as black flies flew into our eyeballs (what is with those guys) and mosquitoes gorged themselves on our hot blood. The group divided naturally into three parties on the trip down: Mark and Yet intentionally taking the Commonwealth Trail; Team Lykken, Joseph, Dan and Runningbird unintentionally taking the Commonwealth Trail (watch that steep switch back at about 4000 ft.); and the rest of the party intentionally jogging down the lengthy PCT. Points given to PCT travelers for extra mileage; to Mark and Yet for knowing what they are doing; and to other party members for stream crossing finesse; interesting conversation; navigation skills; good chocolate and a lovely chardonnay. All were back at the cars by 10:30. ************************************* up.gif to our hosts at the Pour House who have won us over from NBB&G! -Magnum

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
slood
Daffy Hiker

slood
Daffy Hiker
PostFri Aug 08, 2008 3:53 pm 
Re: TNAB @ Kendall Peak 08-07-08
Magnum wrote:
up.gif to our hosts at the Pour House who have won us over from NBB&G!
Where's the Pour House? How late do they serve food? How does their menu compare to NBB&G? It would be nice to have an alternative to NBB&G for those hikes that end after 10pm.

Yet

Yet
PostFri Aug 08, 2008 4:01 pm 
Where's the Pour House? North Bend, exit 31. How late do they serve food? They've always been open whenever I've gone with the TNAB after party. I don't think they close. clown.gif How does their menu compare to NBB&G? They have beer. wink.gif

slood
Daffy Hiker

slood
Daffy Hiker
PostFri Aug 08, 2008 4:11 pm 
Yet wrote:
They have beer. wink.gif
That'll do fine, then. cheers.gif

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster
PostFri Aug 08, 2008 4:12 pm 
View Larger Map The Pour House is situated NW of the NBBG on the same street. If you are coming from the Factory Outlet stores turn left at the light instead of right. The food is your standard bar & grill fare. They serve the entire menu until 12 but you can get fried appetizers until they close at 2. Kim is the server on Thursday nights and she is wonderful.

Anything stated by me in no way reflects the attitudes or opinions of my wife
Yet

Yet
PostFri Aug 08, 2008 4:43 pm 
And whatever you do, you MUST resist the temptation of the cheesy tator tots! eek.gif

rdyhiker

rdyhiker
PostFri Aug 08, 2008 4:51 pm 
Their Halibut and Chips is terrific and big enough to share - 4 big yummy pieces of fish. Good hike and great to see all you super fast, crazy folks again. agree.gif I'm pleased with my under 2 hour (1:59!) time to summit, even if my 8:05 arrival wasn't the must-be-there-by-or-you-don't yet-qualify-for-TNAB-veteran-status time of 8:00. smile.gif yukon, still owe you a couple of pints. Joseph, many thanks for picking up the beer tab last night. Now I owe you one too! Not quite ready to change the avatar, but did add an a.k.a with my newly designated name. smile.gif

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostFri Aug 08, 2008 4:54 pm 
I am sitting in traffic and felt a ripple in the force. Someone must be talking cheesy tots! CHEESY TOTS!!!!!!!

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Aug 08, 2008 4:57 pm 
OK guys, I missed this one and I know all I need to know about the bleedin Pourhouse, WHERE ARE THE PIX!!!

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Yet

Yet
PostFri Aug 08, 2008 5:01 pm 
Oh yeah, there was a hike, too. embarassedlaugh.gif Just for you, Mr. Malachai. wink.gif Everyone made it to the summit. YAY!!! Including ME! Take that, snow! jab.gif You have failed to foil my efforts this time. kissass.gif wink.gif Babes everywhere on this hike!
RunningBabe flying up the mountain, per usual :)
RunningBabe flying up the mountain, per usual wink.gif
Rowdy Babe approaching the summit
Rowdy Babe approaching the summit
Rowdy Babe with Babe Barb in tow
Rowdy Babe with Babe Barb in tow
Babe Barb again and even Jeremy :) (who is technically a Queen)
Babe Barb again and even Jeremy wink.gif (who is technically a Queen)
Babe Lykken flashing me a smile soooo cute! ::)
Babe Lykken flashing me a smile soooo cute! smile.gif
And of course, the ultimate Alti-Babe :)
And of course, the ultimate Alti-Babe wink.gif
Oh, there be blokes, too. embarassedlaugh.gif And of course, our hiker dogs! I swear that Rufus was born to be a hiking dog! He is racking up the miles with nary a complaint. He's all kinds of awesome. smile.gif He is, however sorry for barking at Athena and Zeus at the trailhead, and whomever else he might have barked while we weren't looking. He offers lots of sloppy kisses to make up for it. Man, the first part of this hike was steep. And it was so HOT! I almost died in the first 15 minutes from the exertion + sucking in TONS of hot air. And as I stopped to shed my pant legs, my co-team Commonwealth Basinettes kept moving forward, and out of sight. Seeing as I did not want to die alone, I screamed at the top of my lungs: "MAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRK!" I rounded the corner and happened upon Scott, who had a look of terror in his face, and I think he said "Are you OK" but I think he meant to scream "Mark, please help me!" lol.gif Mark materialized and we hiked happily ever after. smile.gif
First stream crossing.
First stream crossing.
Zeus & Athena make it, yay!
Zeus & Athena make it, yay!
Rufus make it, too!
Rufus make it, too!
Rufus meets snow.
Rufus meets snow.
Snow!!!!
Snow!!!!
Yay, snow!!!
Yay, snow!!!
Second stream crossing.
Second stream crossing.
Scott guides Zeus & Athena through second stream crossing.
Scott guides Zeus & Athena through second stream crossing.
They make it, yay!
They make it, yay!
Mark & Rufus on second stream crossing.
Mark & Rufus on second stream crossing.
More snow!
More snow!
This stuff is cool, Dad!
This stuff is cool, Dad!
Apparently, Rufus likes snow :)
Apparently, Rufus likes snow wink.gif
Going up the PCT.
Going up the PCT.
Smile!
Smile!
Rufus and Mark pause to take in the views. Actually, I made them stop so I can snap a photo :)
Rufus and Mark pause to take in the views. Actually, I made them stop so I can snap a photo wink.gif
Shirtless dude going up Kendall Peak.
Shirtless dude going up Kendall Peak.
Start of scramble up Kendall Peak.
Start of scramble up Kendall Peak.
Rufus and Mark start scramble up Kendall Peak.
Rufus and Mark start scramble up Kendall Peak.
Kendall Peak scramble
Kendall Peak scramble
Kendall Peak scramble
Kendall Peak scramble
Mark & Rufus on the summit!
Mark & Rufus on the summit!
Dan on the summit!
Dan on the summit!
Magnum on the summit! (And Dan, too.)
Magnum on the summit! (And Dan, too.)
Jo points out the beautiful sky to Scott, Zeus, and Athena. Scott is the one whose tongue is not hanging out :P
Jo points out the beautiful sky to Scott, Zeus, and Athena. Scott is the one whose tongue is not hanging out :P
Dan hangs on to Rufus for Mark. What a good little brother :)
Dan hangs on to Rufus for Mark. What a good little brother wink.gif
Joseph pours Mark a magic drink :)
Joseph pours Mark a magic drink wink.gif
Damon says hi!
Damon says hi!
yukon at work capturing the perfect sunset shot
yukon at work capturing the perfect sunset shot
Sunset
Sunset
It was so much fun!!! I took a lot of pictures! ps: Everyone also went to the Pour House. The group that summits together pours together. WOO-AAH!

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostFri Aug 08, 2008 5:02 pm 
Posting from the road, pics in an hour or so. We missed ya!

Yet

Yet
PostFri Aug 08, 2008 5:06 pm 
Jeez woman. Drive! shakehead.gif smackbum.gif wink.gif
rdyhiker wrote:
Not quite ready to change the avatar, but did add an a.k.a with my newly designated name. smile.gif
I like! hockeygrin.gif up.gif

Ingunn
Hiking Viking

Ingunn
Hiking Viking
PostFri Aug 08, 2008 5:20 pm 
That sunset looks amazing! Is there room for Ridiculously Slow Hikers in TNAB? I guess I could always start three hours earlier and meet you guys at the top.. pig.gif winksmile.gif

rdyhiker

rdyhiker
PostFri Aug 08, 2008 5:30 pm 
Yet wrote:
Babes everywhere on this hike!
Ahem, girl! Seems to me there's one missing. agree.gif You're tough to get, Yet, when you have that camera up to your eye, snapping pics every minute! This is the best I could do...
Babe Yet assessing the shot.
Babe Yet assessing the shot.

Yet

Yet
PostFri Aug 08, 2008 5:33 pm 
Ingunn wrote:
That sunset looks amazing! Is there room for Ridiculously Slow Hikers in TNAB? I guess I could always start three hours earlier and meet you guys at the top.. pig.gif winksmile.gif
Thanks Ingunn! There is no rule against hiking the same peak. Actually, there are NO rules! However, if it takes you x amount of of hours to summit, would it take you that long to get down as well? We generally like for TNAB to be off the mountain as close to 10 pm as possible. Hike at 6 pm, turn around at 8 pm (wherever you are in your hike), back at trailhead by 10 pm. And there is never ever any deviation from this timeframe. *cough*