Forum Index > Trip Reports > Silver Peak Up & over 8/12/2008
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wolfs

wolfs
PostWed Aug 13, 2008 2:13 pm 
Drove up to Windy Pass in the very early morning to catch the Perseids at 3AM. Good sky view from up there (one of the few good things you can say about clearcuts, I guess). Definitely saw the predicted 40/hour in the hour or so I watched before dawn creeped in and then I took a nap in the back of the car. Waking up (only sorta refreshed) I figured here I was at a trailhead, may as well fire up some coffee and go hike it before work. PCT through here and under Silver is such a nice trail - easy grade and cool, some nice flowers in wetter spots. A few insignificant snow patches and some mud. From the cairn and to the ridge hardly any snow and trail in good shape (less mud than you'd think). From ridge on a few more snowpatches again minor, don't even really need poles. Great flowers in the flower gardens up high on Silver with many species going at once, particularly lupine arnica harebell and phlox. Plus heather. Once again the Silver summit was one of the buggiest summits imaginable; they weren't even that bad on way up, but at summit, it was maddening. So stay was short. BTW found some sunglasses up there; if they're yours PM me with make info etc. Good view Rainier. Something I'd always wanted to try was up and over to make a loop, by going down the winter/scramble route on the N ridge and into NE basins. This is definitely steeper but still in the class 2 domain. A little bit of prickly trees to contend with as you traverse. Managed to stay on trail til the false summits I usually skitour to, from there on either the trail was on ridge and didn't see, or just petered out in talus. I could see some kind of trail well down the basin so just beelined to it. The least pleasant part was various heather sidehills needed to connect talus areas, slippery; the talus itelf was not bad walking. Finally connected with the trail in the spot I knew I needed to connect to it again, by following cairns into the forest strip that's above the clearcut but below the basins. This leads to the head of the rough road atop of clearcut nd then you just walk the road back to regular TH and parking area. Took longer than descending the main trail would have. Can't necessarily recommend as a better alternative, although seeing it from that side in summer and increased solitude were both pluses, and it did feel more like a scramble/adventure than a hike. 4 cars at TH when I returned. No pix unfortunately since the entire hike idea was sort a spur de moment after meteor watching so didn't have camera along.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee
PostWed Aug 13, 2008 2:30 pm 
Quote:
Waking up (only sorta refreshed) I figured here I was at a trailhead, may as well fire up some coffee and go hike it before work.
You're just plain nutz. dizzy.gif I hope you work at Sleep Country USA.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Aug 13, 2008 3:32 pm 
Sounds like a fun day, wolfs. Is there sufficient snow in the N bowls to get some ski turns in?

wolfs

wolfs
PostWed Aug 13, 2008 3:45 pm 
BigSteve wrote:
Is there sufficient snow in the N bowls to get some ski turns in?
Skiing in there is done and has been for many weeks really. There is a perhaps 75 foot vertical patch remaining, but not even as demented a year round skier as I would consider hauling skigear to it. Nowhere in the Snoqualmie area that I could see from on top seemed to have worthy snow for August ski jonesing. (I'll be heading to Rainier for that ...) Oh yeah something forgot to mention: 9070 road has been graded and worked on. There are still potholes and washboard in spots but is much smoother than I remember. The rock gate part is fixed up a little, and most notably they ran a big cutter/mower down the whole thing and took down all the brush for about 5 feet each side. The brushout should be a nice improvement come winter/spring too when it becomes a ski trail.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Aug 13, 2008 4:37 pm 
wolfs wrote:
BigSteve wrote:
Is there sufficient snow in the N bowls to get some ski turns in?
Skiing in there is done and has been for many weeks really. There is a perhaps 75 foot vertical patch remaining, but not even as demented a year round skier as I would consider hauling skigear to it. Nowhere in the Snoqualmie area that I could see from on top seemed to have worthy snow for August ski jonesing. (I'll be heading to Rainier for that ...)
We skied Silver bowls (both NW and NE) July 4 weekend and got lots of continuous verts. But things melted out quickly after that. Edited to add: This guy claims to have skied 650 feet of continuous verts two weeks ago: Silver Peak 7/30 TAY TR