Forum Index > Trip Reports > Cake and champagne in the snow
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Flower Sniffer
Sniffer of flowers

Flower Sniffer
Sniffer of flowers
PostMon Aug 11, 2008 9:24 am 
We climbed up the Sahale Arm and camped at the base of the glacier to celebrate our 6th anniversary over the weekend. We knew it was going to be a wet one, so we left the camera home. Sorry, no pictures. We started out in a downpour. It was very pretty hiking up to the pass. The trees were laden with fog, and when things opened up, the flowers were everywhere! When we reached Cascade Pass, it cleared a little and we could see sun shining below us in the meadows. We headed up the arm through granite, fog, and flowers. At one point we found a large deposit of bear droppings. It's funny because, had we been anywhere else, I'd have thought it was horse manure. I think I've seen a lot more bear skat than I realized. I always think of it as the purple berry filled piles you find in the late summer and fall, but this was big dark colored balls full of grass. As we left the flowers behind things got steep and rocky. When we finally reached the bench below Sahale Glacier, we came to the first rock walled campsite which was occupied by two guys. We were surprised anyone else was out braving the cold and wet. (We decided on this hike because of the weather. We figured it was a chance to have the place to ourselves!). We continued along the bench and claimed a nice little spot for our tent, which we pitched and climbed into for a little nap. As I drifted in and out of sleep the weather outside was changing. Sometimes I'd feel warmth on my face and open my eyes to bright sunshine outside. Moments later the wind would pick up and it it would go white again. We got up a couple of hours later and went outside to make dinner. It immediately started raining! We found a nice little rock wall out of the wind to sit against. We fired up the stove as the rain turned to snow! After dinner we had cake and champagne and toasted our anniversary, and our good fortune at finding each other, the snow, the cake, and anything else we could thing of to toast! By then the snow was really coming down all around us. It was absolutely magical! We had a very happy anniversary! smile.gif

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostMon Aug 11, 2008 9:32 am 
happy anniversary! party.gif cheers.gif candles.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Flower Sniffer
Sniffer of flowers

Flower Sniffer
Sniffer of flowers
PostMon Aug 11, 2008 10:20 am 
Thanks!

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee
PostMon Aug 11, 2008 10:43 am 
Gratz! Would've enjoyed some photos of those bear droppings, though.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostMon Aug 11, 2008 11:14 am 
Flower Sniffer i'm going to apologize in advance for what i'm about to doo. I did read your post so i'm keenly aware that this is your 6th anniversary hike. party.gif I know it's in poor taste, and juvenile. But i cant resist the temptation to be a smart ass and oblige angry hikers request. So here's to being juvenile hockeygrin.gif
bear scatt
bear scatt

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Aug 11, 2008 1:51 pm 
Good on you! sounds magnificent, I am envious. It's really rare to find kindred spirits of the opposite sex in this sport if you're a guy, I only know of a handful of couples who manage it. Wonderful it's worked out for you, but then the far fewer ladies in the sport pretty much have numbers on their side in this regard, big time! Sounds like you guys have it made, happy anniversary.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Flower Sniffer
Sniffer of flowers

Flower Sniffer
Sniffer of flowers
PostMon Aug 11, 2008 3:22 pm 
Thanks guys. I was reading some posts the other day about how hard it is to meet someone who loves the mountains AND who you are actually attracted to, and it really made me appreciate my husband all the more. We are very aware of how lucky we are. I was married before to a couch potato, and, well, it just didn't work out! I sincerely wish all of you single folk out there the best of luck. Try not to settle, because if you find the right person, it's just the best! Okay, about the poo pic. What we saw didn't look like that. I'm sure it had to be bear, because nothing else up there could have produced so MUCH poop! It was more like big balls of poop, like from a horse. I'll see if I can find any pics online of what it looked like. Don't you just love the internet?!?!? :D

Flower Sniffer
Sniffer of flowers

Flower Sniffer
Sniffer of flowers
PostMon Aug 11, 2008 3:39 pm 
Okay Angry Hiker...it looked like this. Roundish balls full of grass...kind of dark greenish black.