Forum Index > Trail Talk > Driving on mountain roads
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Aug 11, 2008 1:47 pm 
Another vote for center of the road due to animals...except in corners, and of course when someone is coming! And another vote for...please pull over if someone comes up behind you.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Aug 11, 2008 1:52 pm 
It also depends on how rutted the road is, I have always heard with big double ruts you should drive with one wheel on the center and one on the edge to maximize ground clearance. Slowing down and letting those bees in a peanut butter jar pass is a good idea too.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostMon Aug 11, 2008 3:03 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
...Slowing down and letting those bees in a peanut butter jar pass is a good idea too.
Jamin the Peanut Butter Jar wrote:
Crystal Lake and Lennox Attempt At first, everything seemed to be going as planned. I got off work at 7:00 am, and I was asleep by 7:30. At 11:30 I woke up and met my partner Robert at slightly after 12:00. We headed out of Monroe at 60 miles an hour and we were making good time until we hit a huge traffic jam about three miles before Sultan. I was unhappy because I knew that it might cost me the summit. After getting out of Sultan, which took 45 minutes, I blasted down Highway 2 as fast as traffic would allow and turned off on the Money Creek Road. I was trying to make up for lost time. As a result, I was going down the gravel road at a not to be mentioned speed when I accidentally hit a patch of loose gravel and had a UOE (Unplanned Off-road Excursion). I corrected the first two skids, but on the last one, I totally lost control, the car did a 180, and we ended up in the brush on the side of the road. We got out of the car and looked for damage. Fortunately, there was none that I could see. However, when I tried to get the car back on the road, the wheel just spun in the duff, and my wheel dug a hole until my frame was almost touching the ground. Eventually, some very nice, helpful people came along, but none of them had anything to pull the car out with. About 30-40 minutes after I ran off the road, a guy came along with a gigantic, gas-guzzling, 4WD truck. He had a tow strap in the back. When he hooked it to my bumper, I was out in two seconds. After thanking everybody for their help, we continued down the road until Robert realized that we were on the Miller River Road rather than the Money Creek Road. We turned around, headed up Money Creek, and eventually spotted the awesome Goat Creek Valley. Unfortunately, when I got out of the car, I heard a hissing noise coming from one of my tires. After Robert jacked the car up and showed me the correct way to change a tire, we easily crossed Money Creek and started hiking at 2:45...

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Snow_Knot

Snow_Knot
PostMon Aug 11, 2008 4:18 pm 
Right down the middle like I own it.... He with the most lugnuts.... WINS! clown.gif

"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?" Well, I think so, Brain, but "apply North Pole" to what?
touron

touron
PostMon Aug 11, 2008 4:33 pm 
I try to stick to the middle on the straightaways. It seems easier to dodge the potholes that way, though it could all be in my mind (kind of like when you play Space Invaders--do you want to be at the edge, or in the middle)? Also, when you pass cars, picnic areas, walkers, or bikers, pass slowly so as not to envelope them in a cloud of...cough...choke....dust.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Aug 11, 2008 4:51 pm 
If you drive really fast, you skim over the tops of the potholes. hockeygrin.gif

Snow_Knot

Snow_Knot
PostMon Aug 11, 2008 5:00 pm 
Schroder wrote:
If you drive really fast, you skim over the tops of the potholes. hockeygrin.gif
up.gif up.gif up.gif

"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?" Well, I think so, Brain, but "apply North Pole" to what?
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Aug 11, 2008 5:06 pm 
I'm bad. It depends what one is driving whether I let them by. A beamer? They're gonna eat my dust a while. A beater? I'll let them by. A brand new SUV? Dust to them! Yup, I'm prejudiced. hockeygrin.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostMon Aug 11, 2008 5:16 pm 
the first year I went hiking, all I had was our bimmer to get me to the trails - our old honda was not reliable enough and I was as likely to break down on the forest roads with no cell coverage as I had been breaking down on I-5 in the middle of San Onofre (during live-fire exercises :-o). so, I'm sorry that makes me an awful person, to drive what I have, but oh well. dust isn't the end of the world. honestly, with the clearance on that thing, most of the time, I was looking for a place I could pull over so people could pass *me*.

Randonnee

Randonnee
PostMon Aug 11, 2008 9:17 pm 
Wow. Lots of responses. You all were quite easy on me. Yes I was preaching, but I did resist name-calling and east of the divide v. west ranting like I own the mountains. At the time, I actually resisted antisocial behavior in that wrong-side driving situation. Thus, I vented here. Good discussion though. I don't know about more posts. My redneckian venting would soon be unpopular : )}.

Snow_Knot

Snow_Knot
PostMon Aug 11, 2008 10:16 pm 
Randonnee wrote:
I don't know about more posts. My redneckian venting would soon be unpopular : )}.
Get in line, the water is fine! biggrin.gif They are not that bad around here. wink.gif

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Aug 11, 2008 11:09 pm 
As long as you can survive some liberal venting wink.gif and we all stick with your fine example of avoiding name-calling, I don't think you're going to cause any sort of general disturbance in the force by joining in here. Welcome, and thanks for the tips on night driving the back roads. The SUVs and trucks that go way slow and won't let you around are what seem to tick me off most (and no, I'm not in a bimmer or shiny new suv). The irony is tough to take... I heard a scurrilous rumor, though, that you have been seen skiing with someone from Seattle, and that you liked each other enough to consider doing it more than once! hairy.gif

tigermn

tigermn
PostTue Aug 12, 2008 7:36 am 
The problem with a complaint like this, is the violators are not likely members/readers of NWhikers.

tigermn

tigermn
PostTue Aug 12, 2008 7:39 am 
Learned this bicycling. If you look directly at the object, be it a rock, pothole etc, you will invaribly hit it. You need to be aware of it but not be staring/focused on it.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Aug 12, 2008 7:45 am 
I was just in the cruiser up the Middle fork of the Snoqualmie. I was all the way on the right side of the road near the ditch. How do I know this? The truck was leaning to the right. Here comes a Toyota whatever in the middle of the road and honks at me as I drive by?!?!?!?! I just had to laugh. That's ONE of the problems with making places like the Middle Fork a highway. You get to many people who are hyper inexperienced on those roads.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln