Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tag Man
side hiller

Tag Man
side hiller
PostTue Aug 12, 2008 8:21 am 
joker wrote:
As long as you can survive some liberal venting wink.gif and we all stick with your fine example of avoiding name-calling
Yeah I survived, even with the name calling. Someone here said I was a dick for calling them a hypocrite and I'm still around. Funny thing is, is that we were both right! hockeygrin.gif peace.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostTue Aug 12, 2008 12:30 pm 
Bryan wrote:
I prefer to drive as fast as I possibly can doing rally style turns around the corners as I bomb right down the middle of the road. And if I see oncoming traffic I make sure to put my brights on after dark so I can blind them to the point they drive off the road and into a ditch.
lol.gif

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
MikeBeebe
Seeking the Ur

MikeBeebe
Seeking the Ur
PostTue Aug 12, 2008 12:56 pm 
My biggest concern on mountain roads isn't bad drivers -- they can be avoided -- but DRUNK drivers. In the mountains of California, it's almost a requisite to barrel down single-lane dirt roads liquored as Bacchus, and damn any hikers, bicyclist, equestrians or more sober motorists who have the unmitigated gal to be in the way. Car campers (and no dis to car campers, because I am one) seem to think it's legal to drive drunk as long as the road is unpaved and slanted vertically. The situation got markedly worse once the "monster truck" craze started. Ego, bravado and booze are a dodgy mix with stationary folks, but throw in a huge truck, a belief that laws don't count in forested areas, and an attitude of entitlement, and a simple walk along a mountain road becomes a take-your-life-in-your-hands act of daring. Even if they don't strike you outright, you might find yourself dodging thrown beer bottles or other garbage. Go slow, turn your lights on, and watch how straight the other motorist is driving -- and if they're not, GET OVER FAST!

taildragger

taildragger
PostTue Aug 12, 2008 1:03 pm 
MikeeB You just need one of these, if they hit you while drunk, they'll only hurt themselves

Toonces
unleashed

Toonces
unleashed
PostTue Aug 12, 2008 4:31 pm 
taildragger is that available in a hybrid?

If you show fear, a monkey will bully you.
taildragger

taildragger
PostTue Aug 12, 2008 6:45 pm 
Toonces wrote:
taildragger is that available in a hybrid?
Technically, yes it is up.gif Instead of using kinetic breaking, I suggest turning off the rig, shifting into neutral, and fly down the mountain GA style biggrin.gif

Randonnee

Randonnee
PostTue Aug 12, 2008 9:38 pm 
Quote: The problem with a complaint like this, is the violators are not likely members/readers of NWhikers. -Yes, I realize that. I chose this Forum in hopes of starting a discussion. Thanks for all of the discussion. Quote: I heard a scurrilous rumor, though, that you have been seen skiing with someone from Seattle, and that you liked each other enough to consider doing it more than once! -I have no recollection of such an event and will neither confirm nor deny that such is possible. It has now been two ski seasons since I have even exposed myself to any WA volcano to the west of Mt. Adams nor have I set a ski on the Crest or to the west of the Crest. Quote: I was just up at Hart's Pass and talked to the Forest Service before going up as the road is one lane in many places. They recommend that the heavier vehicle stay away from the edge of the road (1000'+ dropoff)... it was clear that in many places the edge of that road could not handle the weight of a larger vehicle. Seems like common sense when driving 12,000 pounds of vehicle and camper. Courtesy, right of way, and all the other rules that people come up with need to be tempered with a little common sense and situational awareness IMHO. -It was not explicit in my opening diatribe, but the humorous and annoying/ pathetic part of the scenario was that there were two small cars, maybe Prius or something, pulling in on the wrong side, appearing nearly full of hikers. The road is rock, well built, the edge will not give way. My Jeep was actually much larger but I just easily cruised by in 2nd gear high range, on the wrong-side edge. I avoided eye contact with what I think was a couple of Prius loads of 206ers. I avoided looking for the sake of world peace and the resisting of the unrestrained flight of my third digit and other tempting redneckian 509er behavior. In trying to temper my behavior in my posting I avoided saying that anyone should stay off of a mountain road, as it is their right as much as mine, but that is the natural thought when one observes such behavior. Yes, as a matter of fact one had better clear out of the way- to a legitimate pull-off that allows a full lane for the truck- for a fully-loaded truck going downhill. With the decimation of the timber industry some may have not been exposed to logging trucks and may not know that a fully loaded truck (even a horse rig) may not be able to stop in time- period- when coming downhill. Driving rules and Law are not flexible or subject to guidance from one's mood-ring, attitude, or misguided thinking. Bla, bla, I am sure to hear more about how one's selfish will or self-important opinion overrides common courtesy and intelligent behavior to benefit the common good. Quoting the USFS is no indication of any superior knowledge or skill, that USFS person is equally likely to be as knowledgeble as a tourist, since they may be themselves basically a tourist with a seasonal low-paying job, with 15 years on the job. Quote-Animals come out of the brush on both sides of the road, so, by driving down the middle, I stand the best chance of not pancaking a rabbit, or having a buck crash through my windshield, or careening off a cliff avoiding a fox. -Um, what the? The only place that I see animals get hit is on a highway. If one cannot avoid an elk when driving 15 or 20 MPH on a mountain road, well, go back to kindergarten and practice on the push-trike and then go pass a driving test when of legal age...Dude, the animals never jump in front of me, so they just must have it in for you- maybe ya better stay out of the scary woods : )}

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Aug 12, 2008 9:50 pm 
Randonnee wrote:
Quote: I heard a scurrilous rumor, though, that you have been seen skiing with someone from Seattle, and that you liked each other enough to consider doing it more than once! -I have no recollection of such an event and will neither confirm nor deny that such is possible. It has now been two ski seasons since I have even exposed myself to any WA volcano to the west of Mt. Adams nor have I set a ski on the Crest or to the west of the Crest.
I won't tell your Earl ski partner (and near miss on Adams) you're dissin' him wink.gif . He wouldn't mind anyway. Says not to worry about how you come off online (same as me tongue.gif ). I love my FR10s by the way. Probably just don't know any better. I have yet to see one of those loaded logging trucks heading at me, but my dad saw plenty of them on a fishing trip in the '80s, and his description has left me cautious to this day. I sometimes wonder how many hikers I see out there don't realize that those logging roads are, well, logging roads.

Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Aug 13, 2008 6:29 am 
joker wrote:
I sometimes wonder how many hikers I see out there don't realize that those logging roads are, well, logging roads.
I was on top of Lookout Mountain and a guy with a southern drawl was referring to them as "fire roads". First time I ever heard that. Back in the 60's I'd encounter a logging truck on almost every road I drove - haven't seen one in 20 years now.

straydog
slave to a monolith

straydog
slave to a monolith
PostWed Aug 13, 2008 7:15 pm 
Randonnee wrote:
Quote: Driving rules and Law are not flexible or subject to guidance from one's mood-ring, attitude, or misguided thinking. Bla, bla, I am sure to hear more about how one's selfish will or self-important opinion overrides common courtesy and intelligent behavior to benefit the common good. Quoting the USFS is no indication of any superior knowledge or skill, that USFS person is equally likely to be as knowledgeble as a tourist, since they may be themselves basically a tourist with a seasonal low-paying job, with 15 years on the job.
huh.gif Dude... I think you missed what I was saying. Wait... checking my mood ring to see if there's a rule to be broken here... biggrin.gif

Randonnee

Randonnee
PostThu Aug 14, 2008 10:03 pm 
Dude...good sense of humor, anyway : )}

Alpine Balding

Alpine Balding
PostFri Aug 15, 2008 10:26 am 
Randonnee wrote:
Quote: I avoided eye contact with what I think was a couple of Prius loads of 206ers.
Ha!, fooled you ,Im a 425er

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Aug 15, 2008 5:01 pm 
still means a 206er. We aint as dumb as we look. wink.gif

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Alpine Balding

Alpine Balding
PostSat Aug 16, 2008 11:30 am 
Actually ,I love Eastern Washington ,I plan on retiring there

Alpine Balding

Alpine Balding
PostSat Aug 16, 2008 11:30 am 
Probably the Palouse area