Previous :: Next Topic
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostThu Aug 14, 2008 7:37 am 
Snow cave "skylights"
Snow cave "skylights"
What's holding it up? The snow apron is hollow, a reticulated snow bridge waiting to collapse.
What's holding it up? The snow apron is hollow, a reticulated snow bridge waiting to collapse.
The Ice Caves and snow slopes at Big Four are always dangerous. Right now, they're more dangerous than usual, in a place where danger is least expected, on the apron of snow that extends out across the rubble field from the base of the avalanche cones.
Big Four  looking east. What's dangerous is the thin layer of snow on the left.
Big Four looking east. What's dangerous is the thin layer of snow on the left.
Snow apron, a thin layer of snow extending out from the base of the avalanche cones. Unlike the caves and the steep snow slopes, it never intimidates anyone.
Snow apron, a thin layer of snow extending out from the base of the avalanche cones. Unlike the caves and the steep snow slopes, it never intimidates anyone.
Once the snow has melted back to the base of the avalanche cones, the whole thing becomes more stable. The cones are thick and dense and, although a few big caves are forming at the base of the falls, those are obvious and the dangers apparent. I hope these pictures will alert people to the dangers that are there, now.
Holes in the roof, 08-08-08
Holes in the roof, 08-08-08
The air layer, 08-08-08
The air layer, 08-08-08
Tuesday, I watched Ice Girl's daughter, Trinity, chip away at the edge of one of the arches like the ones in "What's holding it up?" and "The air layer". Her minor blow proved to be the straw that broke the camel's back. Without warning, a crack ten feet long appeared and a slab of ice weighing several tons played teeter-totter, shifting several feet till one end touched the ground. ......... It could just as easily have been a kid walking on it, rather than standing beside it.
Cave ceiling cave-in, a clearer than usual example of "before" and "after"
Cave ceiling cave-in, a clearer than usual example of "before" and "after"
Snow cave "opening"
Snow cave "opening"
Holes in the snow
Holes in the snow
Holes on the floor, a more typical example of "before" and "after".
Holes on the floor, a more typical example of "before" and "after".
Picture window. Last year's was better, but it's interesting to note that this kind of opening was developing in the same part of the ice field that it did the year before.
Picture window. Last year's was better, but it's interesting to note that this kind of opening was developing in the same part of the ice field that it did the year before.
Scrollwork to scale. ........ Look twice.
The Ice Cave, 08-08-08 Last Friday was my day to explore the Ice Cave. Two weeks ago, when it first opened up, I wasn't psychologically prepared for that "adventure" and, as I illustrated then, there was too much fog in the cave to be able to see anything, anyway.
Ice Cave entrance passage, 07-24-08
Ice Cave entrance passage, 07-24-08
Getting foggy, 07-24-08
Getting foggy, 07-24-08
What I want to do is find out how the Ice Cave develops. Does the cave survive from one year to the next, or does a new cave form every year. I figured that, if I could get to the back of the cave, now, I'd have my answer. I'd either crawl back till the tunnel opened up into the big, arched passage of last years cave, or I'd travel all the way to the cliff in a tunnel being melted out of new snow.
IceCave entrances 08-08-08
IceCave entrances 08-08-08
Ice Cave passage, 08-08-08. Unfortunately, it was still foggy (although not quite as bad as the first time).
Ice Cave passage, 08-08-08. Unfortunately, it was still foggy (although not quite as bad as the first time).
Back wall? ........ Probably not, although I was stopped here. I think it's just a big boulder near the end.
Back wall? ........ Probably not, although I was stopped here. I think it's just a big boulder near the end.
Although I'd come in 300 or 400 feet from the entrance, my memory is that the last 40 or 50 feet sloped up fairly steeply, and I hadn't reached such a point when my way was blocked. However, I was in far enough to know it was all new ice. The old cave has disappeared, filled up with last winter's avalanches. Caveat: Ice Girl, who's been exploring and studying the Ice Caves for at least ten years, says that it works both ways. Some year's the old cave is completely filled, some years it's not. When it's not, the new cave will melt back till it reveals the leftover portions of the old cave. ........ So I guess we'll have to keep checking. wink.gif The avalanche cone One other thing that intrigues me at Big Four is the main avalanche cone, and the topknot that seems to form every year.
Avalanche cone 08-12-08
Avalanche cone 08-12-08
Upper avalanche cone and topknot, 08-12-08
Upper avalanche cone and topknot, 08-12-08
Topknot and righthand moat, 08-08-08
Topknot and righthand moat, 08-08-08
Topknot pan, 08-12-08
Topknot pan, 08-12-08
When I was up there a month ago, the avalanche cone and topknot were joined by a honeycomb of ice, and I was able to get right up to the edge to photograph it.
Crevasse art, 07-08-08
Crevasse art, 07-08-08
Crevasse art, 07-08-08
Crevasse art, 07-08-08
Last Tuesday, the honeycomb was gone, and what's left is apparently an open crevasse, with no points of contact that I could see (although there must be some).
Crevasse pan, 08-12-08. .......... This is either a terrible stitching job or a remarkable stitching job.
Crevasse pan, 08-12-08. .......... This is either a terrible stitching job or a remarkable stitching job.
Since I couldn't see how the tip was supported and couldn't see how badly the lip was undercut, I didn't dare get all the way up to the edge to take pics looking down into the crevasse, which is what I wanted. Instead I knealt down five or six feet back from the edge and held the camera out as far as I could with one hand. It wasn't quite far enough, as the picture shows. irked.gif It is kind of frustrating to climb up 350 feet and then not be able to go the last 12 inches. Next time. biggrin.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee
PostThu Aug 14, 2008 9:10 am 
Quote:
Without warning, a crack ten feet long appeared and a slab of ice weighing several tons played teeter-totter, shifting several feet till one end touched the ground. ......... It could just as easily have been a kid walking on it, rather than standing beside it.
Which is exactly why they need to dynamite those caves in late summer, before any more innocent children can be injured...or worse.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostThu Aug 14, 2008 9:35 am 
i started to write "then where will scrooge go?" in response to AHs post. just kidding scrooge! that's fantastic that you get to the big four and keep track of it all. maybe ice girl will give you a job on measurement, temperature, etc. last week the wall arch, now an ice cave. bawl.gif do you know if the ice caves at mt. rainier still exists? great photos! up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif i must go back to housecleaning!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostThu Aug 14, 2008 10:00 am 
Scrooge wrote:
Quote:
Without warning, a crack ten feet long appeared and a slab of ice weighing several tons played teeter-totter, shifting several feet till one end touched the ground.
ummm wasn't this the warning!
Quote:
Tuesday, I watched Ice Girl's daughter, Trinity, chip away at the edge of one of the arches like the ones in "What's holding it up?" and "The air layer". Her minor blow proved to be the straw that broke the camel's back.
What did you expect to happen when Ice Girls daughter chiped at the edge? I truly enjoy your photos, it appears you do some homework, i just hope you didn't miss a lesson. It would be a tragic shame to not seen any more of your photos.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostThu Aug 14, 2008 10:10 am 
bcfc53 asked
Quote:
do you know if the ice caves at mt. rainier still exists?
The short answer is, "Yes". bricks.gif A slightly more complete answer is that they don't. For a thorough and (I think) more interesting answer, see my trip report from last year. Paradise cloud caves wink.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
ree

ree
PostThu Aug 14, 2008 10:14 am 
The Angry Hiker wrote:
Which is exactly why they need to dynamite those caves in late summer, before any more innocent children can be injured...or worse.
Yah, just blast the hell outta it!!! lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostThu Aug 14, 2008 10:19 am 
cool....years ago, i was invited to go with some friends in 1976 to check out ice caves. i believe they were talking about the one on paradise. i'm a bit claustrophobic so i opted out. wish i had gone frown.gif and now the cave is gone or not biggrin.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostThu Aug 14, 2008 10:23 am 
Angry Hiker and Hulksmash: either I wrote my report very badly or you were too busy reacting to pay attention. The whole point of the first part of this report was to caution people about the special dangers that exist at the Ice Caves, now. I assure you, Ice Girl and I understand the dangers out there a great deal better than most people, and Ice Girl is not about to put her daughter at risk. Trinity was beside the snow arch that collapsed exactly because we'd explainrd the dangers to her and spent a fair anount of time showing her what the dangers were ....... a real life version of the "thin ice" pictures in the report. As for Angry Hiker's dynamiting recommendation, that's about on a par with raising the hunting age to to 21 and requiring hikers to wear orange jump suits. ........ Bah! Humbug! mad.gif

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostThu Aug 14, 2008 10:27 am 
Mr. Scrooge! Angry Hikers words contain SUBTLE hints of sarcasm. Re-read his T.R.'s and you might pick up his special style of posting. Carry on.

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostThu Aug 14, 2008 12:30 pm 
More Cowbell wrote:
Angry Hikers words contain SUBTLE hints of sarcasm. Re-read his T.R.'s and you might pick up his special style of posting.
Sarcasm = A cutting or contemptuous remark. Exactly, in post after post, without the leavening of any serious contribution. Angry Hiker had made the remark about dynamiting the Ice Caves, before, and it added nothing then, either. I've reread a number of his posts, using the "Search for posts by this user" function, because I wondered if he was so consistenly obnoxious. He is. He's using nwhikers to vent, a built-in troll. Do we really need to emulate Cascade Climbers, and establish a "Spray" forum so that the people with no interest in this site but mouthing-off will have somewhere to go?

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostThu Aug 14, 2008 1:26 pm 
Re: .
Scrooge wrote:
Really like this one, Scrooge! up.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostThu Aug 14, 2008 5:34 pm 
bcfc53 said
Quote:
that's fantastic that you get to the big four and keep track of it all. maybe ice girl will give you a job on measurement, temperature, etc.
Actually, what she was doing was getting a GPS reading for each of the current cave entrances. We want to keep track of the position as each cave entrance migrates back toward the cliff, and then superimpose those readings on the same map that we'll develop next year. The caves appear to grow with remarkable similarity each year. We want to find out just how consistent it is. We expect to be able to tie them to the various waterfalls that come down the Big Four cliff.
Big Four central waterfalls
Big Four central waterfalls
Fun and games for ice cave addicts. agree.gif

Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostThu Aug 14, 2008 7:53 pm 
Scrooge: Disregarding suggestions from the peanut gallery that these ice caves should be blasted, those are some truly remarkable images, and I know a lot of work went into getting them. up.gif up.gif up.gif Nicely done.

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
Solo Steve
Harry Mudd wannabe

Solo Steve
Harry Mudd wannabe
PostFri Aug 15, 2008 1:08 am 
ditto.gif Very nice shots, Scrooge, nicely done! I have yet to go -- your pics are great inspiration.

Ice Girl

Ice Girl
PostFri Aug 15, 2008 9:33 am 
I believe the Ice Caves are dangerous, but it's the people who make the mistake of under estimating the dangers there that gets people hurt or even killed. I have been studing the Ice Caves for over 6 years now, and I am still learning things about them. The more you know the safer you can be. I have seen some pretty dumb things up there. I have also seen and gotten some pretty extreme shots. When I was first going up there I even got hurt, not to bad. But bad enough to learn that the Ice Caves are not a play ground, but a dangerous area where no one can tell what will happen at any givin time. Good report Scrooge. Ice Girl