Forum Index > Trip Reports > TNAB goes for gold and takes home Silver Peak 8.14.08
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostSat Aug 16, 2008 11:47 am 
Alright, I tried to be patient but I can see the best way to see everyone's pictures from Thursday's adventure is to go ahead and post a report! So here we go...
6pm start at Windy Pass
6pm start at Windy Pass
just you try to keep up with her, I dare you
just you try to keep up with her, I dare you
our fearless leader
our fearless leader
It started as a small crew on a hot evening for TNAB and we raced after Peggy (who had scouted the trail on Tuesday) to stake our claim on Silver Peak.
no elevator
no elevator
magnum racing up
magnum racing up
Peggy was fast, the trail was in decent shape (unlike me) and we were sharing it with every biting bug in the area. Not even a strong breeze could deter the wrath of the blood suckers, although Chris tried to tell us it was bug free just a little higher... keep going... oh well.
the back of his shirt harbored ever mosquito on the peak, we stayed well away from Scott
the back of his shirt harbored ever mosquito on the peak, we stayed well away from Scott
Silver Peak Summit Shot
Silver Peak Summit Shot
The views up top were spectacular and Scott entertained all the mosquitoes at the summit so the rest of us could snap some photos and down a little sustenance. There was some good natured debate about Chris' claim on Tinkham (to be quashed by his photos when posted I'm certain) and then, group shot, and down the mountain we go.
sunset from trailhead
sunset from trailhead
Either we were moving faster, the bugs were already sated or my Benedryl was kicking in because I hardly slapped myself once on the way to the car. Joe slid in the mud and Scott took a nose dive but everyone hit the trail head in good shape and great spirits. Not a headlamp was donned, although the sunset show was just beginning as we high fived on the road. We determined that, yes, Life is Good, just like the t-shirt says and then batted around some TNAB shirt ideas of our own before a few of us headed to the Pour House to feed our bite riddled bodies. Approx 6mi and 2000ft elev gain. (please correct me if I'm wrong)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
huron

huron
PostSat Aug 16, 2008 1:17 pm 
Thanks Larry for showing me the way to Tinkham. I stopped short of the summit to take this photo. Shows why they call it Silver since the talus fields are quite silvery in color.
Looking NNW to Silver from Tinkham
Looking NNW to Silver from Tinkham

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostSat Aug 16, 2008 2:01 pm 
from the other half of 'the lykkens' camera
Athena watching out for mama
Athena watching out for mama
I think I can, I think I can
I think I can, I think I can
he always takes exactly 2 pictures rolleyes.gif

ADrewzki
Snow angels are hot

ADrewzki
Snow angels are hot
PostSat Aug 16, 2008 8:12 pm 
Good trip report and great pictures. It looks like it was a smaller group than normal without a lot of the regulars. Still, up.gif EK, nice to see you made it out.

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostSat Aug 16, 2008 10:01 pm 
It was cool to come back to TNAB and show my improvement as an overall hiker! I had a lot of fun on this hike. The views were great. The best thing (largely because Chris (Magnum) bagged both Tinkham and Silver, Schmidts, Mark and dicey were not there, and I had a 30 minute lead) was that I made it on top first up.gif up.gif (Note: I still would never race anyone on TNAB because they would whip me) and hung with the crowd down. I hope to do a couple more before the year is out! Here are my pictures!!
More summits
More summits
All the peaks north
All the peaks north
Stuart and the forest fire
Stuart and the forest fire
Si, Bandera etc
Si, Bandera etc
EastKing's summit pose
EastKing's summit pose
TNAB Silver Peak crew (minus me)
TNAB Silver Peak crew (minus me)
Rainier stand out!!
Rainier stand out!!
The summit area of SIlver Peak
The summit area of SIlver Peak
Big Tahoma
Big Tahoma
Moon rising in the distance
Moon rising in the distance
Tinkham
Tinkham

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSat Aug 16, 2008 11:47 pm 
The judges gave TNAB a '9' for their performance. hink.gif It was another great trip on thursday night. I was suprised at the small crowd on such a nice day. Maybe peoples are out on their weeklong trips. confused.gif The bugs were voracious above treeline! Yikes, the Snoqualmie Pass plague of locusts strike again. Views were excellent, guaranteed by leaving my camera at home. rolleyes.gif I definitely would have taken a picture of the pot pipe with a half baked bowl that was located a few feet below the summit. peace.gif I was not sure this was an actual TNAB event for a number of reasons. No brownies. No liquor. No headlamps. Back at the cars by 8:50pm confused.gif If I hadn't been sweating and basically running downhill to try to keep up on the way out, I would have thought the whole thing was a dream. Thanks for the company ladies and gents. biggrin.gif

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 11:08 am 
Eeeegads, I made another rookie TNABer mistake and posted the report before talking to the leader of this pack... so sorry Peggy.
My Super Rookie TNAB Badge
My Super Rookie TNAB Badge
I agree with the invisible 'rule book', the person who scouted the trail and brought us home safely should be the writer of our narrative. Peggy, I don't want demerits so please don't tell Steve! nono.gif And I've heard rumors of a spanking machine... I think I'm a little afraid to show my face for this week's hike. smackbum.gif I was just too distracted by the chance to have a funny name for a TR... guess from now on I'm carry the bug spray for everyone as penance angel.gif and perhaps Crown Royal devilsmile.gif ~Jo **But Yet's still in charge of brownies, I can't cook!

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 3:18 pm 
Quote:
I was not sure this was an actual TNAB event for a number of reasons. No brownies. No liquor. No headlamps. Back at the cars by 8:50pm
You forgot the most strange thing: EastKing made the summit FIRST confused.gif up.gif lol.gif (granted with tons and tons of disclaimers attached; see above for those details). It was an amazing time, and considering how the weekend went, I was extremely greatful for this trip and hope to do a couple of others! up.gif up.gif up.gif

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 3:30 pm 
the lykkens wrote:
And I've heard rumors of a spanking machine...
The spanking machine is reserved for birthdays, bar mitzvahs, baby showers and bachelorette parties. Where is the TNAB next week? hmmm.gif Jasper and I should make our monthly appearance before the end of the month. Oh, yeah, glad you guys had views. Last years Silver Peak TNAB was a great November day...in August shakehead.gif

Knows literally nothing
Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 3:37 pm 
GeoTom wrote:
the lykkens wrote:
And I've heard rumors of a spanking machine...
The spanking machine is reserved for birthdays, bar mitzvahs, baby showers and bachelorette parties.
Thank goodness paranoid.gif

ADrewzki
Snow angels are hot

ADrewzki
Snow angels are hot
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 7:20 pm 
GeoTom wrote:
The spanking machine is reserved for birthdays, bar mitzvahs, baby showers and bachelorette parties.
I swear there was an addendum to that.... biggrin.gif

runningbird

runningbird
PostMon Aug 18, 2008 12:31 pm 
Good trip report Jo, Nice work. Magnum your picture of Silver from Tinkham is really good, fun to see that perspective on the mountain. August is definitely mosquito month this year - yikes.

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst
PostMon Aug 18, 2008 1:28 pm 
Nice job, everyone! Big thanks to Peggy for taking the reigns this night (I believe she scouted the route on Tuesday) - great effort. up.gif up.gif I wish I could have been there (minus the bugs), but work and ever-creeping domesticity held me at bay. You guys rock!

Cheers, Mesahchie Mark
Yet

Yet
PostMon Aug 18, 2008 2:27 pm 
Missed you guys, but not the bugs! Thanks for lending me Mark this one Thursday evening. wink.gif Jo, regarding that spanking machine ... don't think you're safe just yet. I'm sure you're in trouble for something. smackbum.gif wink.gif

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostMon Aug 18, 2008 3:33 pm 
Yet wrote:
Jo, regarding that spanking machine ... don't think you're safe just yet. I'm sure you're in trouble for something. smackbum.gif wink.gif
hairy.gif eee gads!