Forum Index > Trip Reports > Tolmie Peak Moonrise/Sunset 8.16.08
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hesman

Hesman
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 11:48 am 
TPayne and LG were to join me on this trip, but due to an illness in the family, TPayne wasn't able to come. Next time TPayne, because you missed a good one, compared to last year. I drove to Mowich Lake to hike to Tolmie Peak to watch the full moon rise over Mt. Rainier and the sun set over the Olympics. The road to Mowich Lake is in excellent condition. There was no severe washboard abs on the road, compared to years past where I had to drive less than 10 miles an hour. huh.gif Saw a person get pulled over by a park ranger by not paying the entrance fee to the park. When I arrived at Mowich Lake there was a long line of cars along the road. A hot and nice day = lots of people at the Mowich Lake area of Mt. Rainier. I found a parking spot along the road right where I wanted to start hiking. Since it was a super hot day temperature wise, I took it slow on the hike to the summit of Tolmie Peak, starting at 3:15ish and arriving on the summit at about 5:10ish. There still many flowers in bloom and I took many pictures along the way of them. I saw many people hiking out on my way there. When I arrived at the lookout, I was rewarded with spectacular views of Rainier and the surround area. I was also nearly murdered by vicious mosquitos. There was much cursing involved while combating the mosquitoes. All though it was very warm, I had to put on my pants, jacket and hat to fend off the mosquitos. I must have walked at least a quarter of a mile on the catwalk around the lookout to keep the little buggers away. I knew it was going to be pretty darn spectacular sunset and the rise of a full moon. And it was. One of the best ones I've seen yet and this was the 5th time that I have done this trip. By about 7PM the mosquitos thinned out slightly. By now I was wondering if I was going to be alone for the show, but alas, two more people showed up. Later on four more people showed up. After taking many pictures of the moonrise and the sunset, I had enough of the murderous mosquitoes and began the hike out to my car. I was slightly apprehensive about hiking out alone in the dark. Besides moonlight glinting off my glasses as I rounded a switchback (which scared the crap out of me) and wondering if the small noises I heard was a cougar thinking I would be a tasty snack, I made out to my car. When I arrived at Mowich Lake on the trail, the moon was putting on a spectacular light show by reflecting on the calm waters of the lake and casting a pale white glow on the trees. I made it out to the car by a little after 10:00 and home just before midnight to a cat meowing her head off, wanting to know where I had been. I told the kitty I had been observing plenty of hot babes on the trails and tried not to get eaten by cougars in the dark. By the way, where's Bryan when you need him to help you check out all the hot babes on the trails?
Subalpine Daisy
Subalpine Daisy
Magenta Paintbrush
Magenta Paintbrush
Rock Hes Monstering
Rock Hes Monstering
Goat Shaped Vent
Goat Shaped Vent
Sunset 2
Sunset 2

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 11:55 am 
up.gif Bravo up.gif Thanks for braving the bugs and sharing this experience.

El Dooder
Green Earth Bum

El Dooder
Green Earth Bum
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 11:59 am 
Glad you got a great night. I actually saw that sunset and moon from home and wondered at who might be seeing it in all its grandeur from perfect mountain peak or beach locations. Now I know! Thanks for sharing that HJT. up.gif By the way, I've been murdered by mosquitoes up there too! Brutal.

Don

Don
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 12:09 pm 
Wow HJT! I drove back into town Thursday night and could not believe the sunset unfolding as I crossed Snoqualmie Pass. It was smog-mazing! Your sunset pictures are beautiful. But I really like the drama of "Light and Shadows". Very nice. up.gif

Tim Hagan

Tim Hagan
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 12:09 pm 
Great pictures! I especially liked the moonrise shots, viewed as a slide show. Two corrections: 1. The "English Daisy" is actually Mountain/Subalpine/Wandering Daisy (Erigeron peregrinus). 2. The "Oeder's Lousewort" is actually Mount Rainier Lousewort (Pedicularis rainierensis).

Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger

Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 12:21 pm 
Very nice HJT! What is really funny though is that I was up there yesterday too....and I am now downloading my pictures....guess I don't have to do a TR ! up.gif I'll post a couple pictures in a few, when the are finished downloading, sorry I missed you by a few short hours! It was absolutely beautiful up there yesterday and your pictures are much better of that beauty than mine are.... I too was eaten alive while at the lookout, but they weren't anywhere else on the trail! which is kinda weird hmmm.gif agree.gif Edit: Ipsut Pass....We (SCA) brushed this trail all the way to the bottom last year...I love this valley
Eunice Lake
Great minds think alike! hmmm.gif
Last but not least! up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif I went for a swim at this rock, MAN was THAT nice!!!! hockeygrin.gif agree.gif hockeygrin.gif up.gif

All the birds have flown up and gone; A lonely cloud floats leisurely by. We never tire of looking at each other - Only the mountain and I. ~Li Po~
mossy mom

mossy mom
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 1:53 pm 
I like the columbine photo, I miss having a camera with a good macro setting.

TPayne

TPayne
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 1:55 pm 
Nice TR and great pics! Too bad I couldn't make it up there, looked like perfect weather. Hopefully next time! up.gif

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 2:01 pm 
fantastic TR and photos, HJT....love the moonrise series!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 2:25 pm 
Great photos! What kind of filters do you use?

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 2:50 pm 
Gorgeous pictures HJT! I saw those colors through the trees thursday night and figured someone was getting the goods.

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 2:53 pm 
Good TR and pics!!

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 4:45 pm 
That's a beautiful painting, HJT. Why are you trying to pass it off as a photograph? tongue.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 4:48 pm 
i believe it's a photograph but the zooming in may have the painting effect. gorgeous up.gif up.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Solo Steve
Harry Mudd wannabe

Solo Steve
Harry Mudd wannabe
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 7:35 pm 
Very nice, HJT! I'm headed up there next weekend -- nice to see all the beargrass!