Forum Index > Trail Talk > I Met Ranger Barry. Wow. Unfreakingbelievable.
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 5:50 pm 
Ok, I figured Ranger Barry HAD to be half myth/half urban legend. Wow. How anyone can be SUCH a jerk is beyond me. As we came up to the pass near Crag Mt. he lay in wait for us in the shade of the pass eyes.gif So we get up there (we were going Northbound), Ford is ahead of us by a minute or two. Well, Barry starts drilling Ford and grabbing his pack. SO NOT COOL. You DON'T touch a minor child! I haul my petered butt up there and Ol' Barry starts the integration - demanding where we camped on Saturday night - you could see he didn't believe we had camped at Bumping River coming from White Pass. So when that tactic didn't work then he demanded to know why I didn't have my full name on the permit. Well, it seems Barry doesn't like women who give him the stare of hate. Barry did run away after I told him he could jump off on that issue. I kept waiting to hear "Papers Please". I won't even go into TwoFourtyJeff's encounter with him on Friday night at Dewey Lakes where he expected Jeff to rat out illegal campers - after Barry jumped him while walking in the evening. The subject of sunflowers came up lol.gif The man is a FREAK with an attitude!!!! Photo of Barry after I gave him a glowering attitude on why I wasn't giving no stinking last name to him clown.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 5:57 pm 
Wow, Sarbar, I'm sorry. That totally sucks! Was Ford OK with being harrassed?

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Dslayer

Dslayer
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 5:57 pm 
Too weird. This is almost the same spot I ran into him last year, it must be his favorite stalking spot. Although Barry has a belt black, and has beaten up people at his real job, I've heard through my sources that he's more show than go. Unfortunately, my plan to drill him with bear spray last week didn't materialize because we never ran into him. Was he carrying his axe?

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 6:02 pm 
sarbar wrote:
Ok, I figured Ranger Barry HAD to be half myth/half urban legend.
I must have missed something...who is this guy? A genuine ranger? Out of whose ranger district or park? Post me a PM with details or contact me at my office Monday: davew@liberty.seanet.com

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
reststep

reststep
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 6:09 pm 
There are other threads about Barry. I am sure someone will post some links.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 6:11 pm 
Dslayer wrote:
Unfortunately, my plan to drill him with bear spray last week didn't materialize because we never ran into him. Was he carrying his axe?
No, but he was carrying this weird long board/whip thing in his hand. I couldn't figure out what it was. It is just so weird - every NF ranger I have met is for the most part laid back and always helpful. After meeting him....I had to sit there and pause.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 6:25 pm 
Most the rangers I have met have been great. There are bound to be jerk offs. I dont have a child, but if ole Barry grabs my nephew like that, he's gonna end up on his butt!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 6:30 pm 
the guy sounds like an officious jerk, and a bit of a bully down.gif Can anyone say Larry, course he never seems to get out of his truck.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Dslayer

Dslayer
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 6:31 pm 
Probably a crosscut saw in a scabbard, Barry likes to walk around like he's Paul freakin' Bunyan. I commented it on this in a thread last year that Barry and one other Ranger lady who was in way over her head in MT when a monsoon hit the Beartooths are the only NFS personnel that I've met in the back country that weren't friendly, informative, and upbeat. But this guy is a freak, just a real POS of a human being, and running into this jack ass can cast a real pall onto any outdoor adventure in that neck of the woods.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 6:36 pm 
I come unglued when anyone touches my child..sounds like someone who needs to have his job performance re-evaluated

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 6:38 pm 
ActionBetty wrote:
I come unglued when anyone touches my child..sounds like someone who needs to have his job performance re-evaluated
X2!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
cweston

cweston
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 6:54 pm 
I'm not really familiar with that area: where were you that you needed a permit, anyway? (There are relatively few such places on NFS land in the Cascades, right?) This guy seems like a real piece of work.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 6:58 pm 
Just so everyone knows: he could see my fat butt coming up the steep climb - he could have waited for me to get up there. Yet I heard him asking questions of kiddo - who is 10! And these were pointed questions. Not Ranger joking with kid stuff. If he wanted to talk, he was talking with me! mad.gif I was so mad after he left that I turned on my cell phone and called my husband and he got an earful. (you can get 4-5 bars at that pass). It made me really long for the last time I did White Pass-Chinook - last October in a snowstorm. Nobody but us idiots out there that time wink.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 7:00 pm 
cweston wrote:
I'm not really familiar with that area: where were you that you needed a permit, anyway? (There are relatively few such places on NFS land in the Cascades, right?) This guy seems like a real piece of work.
We were hiking from White to Chinook. Like Alpine Lakes Wilderness, you are required to carry a self permitted free permit. It is mostly in the NF (Naches district) but does cross into Rainier NP. The NP rangers don't give a hoot over there as long as you behave.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 7:11 pm 
Unbelievable. I've never met an uptight ranger before in the backcountry. What district does he work for? I'd be filing a formal complaint if I was you. Grabbing someone can be construed as minor assault.