Sunrise
Sunrise
AppalatianGoats
AppalatianGoats
The Balds
The Balds
Appalachian Barn
Appalachian Barn
This is definitely the best waterslide I have ever been off.  Located on the Poga River in Tennessee.  A group of of did this before Colin Blair's wedding.  Locals demonstrated that this was safe.
This is definitely the best waterslide I have ever been off. Located on the Poga River in Tennessee. A group of of did this before Colin Blair's wedding. Locals demonstrated that this was safe.
A friend’s wedding took me east for a few days this week. The ceremony was located at Sugar Hollow Retreat, in Tennessee, only a few miles from the Appalatian Trail. I’ve never been on the trail before so I looked forward to this new experience. After flying into Charlotte I drove through Blowing Rock and Boone on my way to Carver’s Gap where the famous trail crosses the road at 5512 feet. I had seen this area featured in some articles and was eager to explore these grassy “bald” peaks. Day One I began getting my bearings by taking the trail south from Carvers Gap over Roan Mtn (6285 ft.) on my way to Little Rock Knob. This section of the trail was steep, rocky, and rarely offered views due to the dense tree cover. The better hiking is to the north of Carvers Gap, something I was saving for the next day. I didn’t see a single person on the trail to the south. Some notable sights included an immense rhododendron garden, numerous butterflies that filled the sunny meadows as well as some ruins of an old fireplace and the Cloudland Hotel. I did this as an “out and back” trail run and then drove eight miles to Roan State Park where I camped for the night. Day Two. I arrived at Carvers Gap at 6:30 a.m. with the intent of trail running north for 2 hours. I figured I would see how far I could get. If you hike 5 miles north, you will go over five summits all over 5000 feet between Carvers Gap and ending with Hump Mtn. I began climbing immediately and after going through some trees I arrived on the balds where I was rewarded to a great sunrise from Round Bald. Shortly thereafter I passed by a pen full of Appalatian Goats. Their shepherd was tent camping close by. After snapping a couple photos I continued north another half mile where I located a geocache before the trail began a long descent. During my run I passed two tents that were quiet – everyone was still asleep. I also saw over a half dozen white tail deer. I emerged on top of Little Hump after two hours of running. Although I had hoped to make it to Hump Mtn., I knew that I had a long ways to go back and I turned around. On the way back I stopped by the barn (Overmountain Shelter) which was still occupied by some sleeping hikers. Time passed by quickly and more easily than I had feared and I was back at my car after exactly four hours. The next morning I went with some friends to the Poga River falls where you could literally slide off a 40 ft waterfall. I've included a photo here although it is not on the trail. The wedding went well and now I'm on my way back to the airport to go home. See my photos here

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 1:29 pm 
wow! cool water slide........

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
mossy mom

mossy mom
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 1:58 pm 
You sure got the attention of all the goats! I like the way they look, they have cute faces.

Flora
Enjoying the Sun!

Flora
Enjoying the Sun!
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 3:54 pm 
How was the weather in the Appalachians? A bit humid? Those are interesting goats; such curly hair.

Flora
yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostSun Aug 17, 2008 8:09 pm 
Nice to see TRs from other regions of the US. Those are some very photogenic pics! Rhodies, mountain laurel and flame azaleas back there in June are gorgeous. May and October are great months to be back there too. "Appalatian" is spelled "Appalachian" by most folks. hockeygrin.gif August in the Southern Appalachians: was it hot & humid as "hail"?

"I aint jokin woman, I got to ramble...We gonna go walkin through the park every day." - Led Zeppelin
run4cache

run4cache
PostMon Aug 18, 2008 6:22 am 
The weather was very mild - in the 70s and not particularly humid. I think I hit this one on some good days. I had anticipated hotter weather.

run4cache

run4cache
PostMon Aug 18, 2008 6:24 am 
Thanks for the spelling tip. lol.gif I was getting differing responses from my spell check and wasn't sure. So Appalatian has become Appalachian.

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostMon Aug 18, 2008 9:52 am 
Looks like a fun trip. Your "goats" look pretty dumbfounded and interested in you biggrin.gif Thanks for sharing another part of the country with us smile.gif

yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostMon Aug 18, 2008 10:29 pm 
Southern Appalachian baldsare interesting! The ecologists, botanists, etc. can't seem to pin down why they're bald i.e. devoid of forest. "Theories" (as used in a layperson's sense) are Indian burning, relics of the Ice Age. Ed Garvey was an early Appalachian Trail thru-hiker. In his first book, he thought it'd be a good idea to pay college kids to mow balds closing in with brush with lawnmowers for summer work. dizzy.gif I think they ought to do prescribed burns on balds to keep them open.

"I aint jokin woman, I got to ramble...We gonna go walkin through the park every day." - Led Zeppelin
run4cache

run4cache
PostMon Aug 18, 2008 10:40 pm 
You're right about the "balds". There were large sections that had recently been mowed in efforts to keep the brush and trees from re-taking them.