Forum Index > Trip Reports > Quandary Peak (Colorado) 9-8-10
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostWed Sep 22, 2010 11:46 pm 
After 21 years I returned to this beautiful state to make my way up another 14er. I spent the night at the trailhead which sits at 10,890' and slept in the back of my car. I hit the trail just before 7am after breakfast and a few aspirin to ward off a minor headache. The trail basically follows the ridge the whole way up and breaks out of the trees near 12,000'.
Just at the last few trees on the ridge I made a new friend.
We shot the breeze for a few moments before he dissed me and I pressed further up the ridge. I made my way slowly and drank lots of water in the hopes of avoiding the almost required altitude sickness. As I headed further up the winds started to pick up as well as the clouds to the west.
Most of the ridge above the trees was covered with rocks about 6" in diameter, but there was a well worn path all the way. I finally reached the summit at 10am and I had it all to myself biggrin.gif
The clouds were moving in but the lowland views were still really good.
Quandary Summit
Quandary Summit
Summit Pano
Summit Pano
A couple finally showed up as the winds picked up even more and a few flakes started falling down on us. Oh, almost forgot to mention that even the "tamest" of 14ers can still take a life or two.
We started to descend the ridge and they told me about a girl they met on their way up who was also from Seattle. As we got further down we came across her and she introduced herself to me as Karen and told me that she lives in Columbia City. I told her about this site, so hopefully she found her way over hear. I continued my way down gradually as my head started to hurt and saw a bit more wildlife too.
As I neared the treeline I glanced back to see the skies starting to clear to the west. Looked as though Karen and her hiking partners got a great summit after all smile.gif
I made it back down to the car and my headache was reaching a level that was not comfortable anymore and I just wanted to go to bed. I was not able to hike up anymore of the remaining 8 peaks that I had hoped for. The altitude sickness and headache were too much to bear, so I left Colorado in search of a place to enjoy the remainder of my vacation. I did make a video from this one hike although I don't consider it to be anywhere near as good as I'd like to think that my previous hiking videos have been, but here it is anyway, enjoy.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostThu Sep 23, 2010 10:45 pm 
I actually like this video very much. You might have not gotte all the peaks you want but at least you got one. Good job bro! Great TR and photos! up.gif up.gif

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostFri Sep 24, 2010 6:42 am 
more wildlife up.gif looks like our goats here smile.gif great job on the summit even if is tamed biggrin.gif wonderful photos, Bryan up.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss