Forum Index > Trip Reports > Deception Basin, ONP 8/14/08-8/17/08
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
silence

silence
PostWed Aug 20, 2008 1:17 pm 
OK … so last summer the much esteemed Ancient Ambler did an awesome trip into Deception Basin via a route I’d never heard of b-4. It’s been a big dream of mine to spend time here as it’s way off the beaten track and rumored to be o sooo beautiful .. course with me the big problem was always the gettin there part as I’m plagued with a bad case of edge fear; and talk of the scary climb up and over Deception Pass fm Royal Basin always stopped me dead … though I was starting to consider it lately .. out of sheer desperation. Anyway with this new approach .. problem solved .. yay!! So, with a lot of help and visual aids fm AA (thanks pal) we were able to ezily find our way in along Heather Creek .. the blowdown is still just as bad if not worse along the last mile or so on the old unmaintained portion of the trail .. though more of an inconvenience, than a major hurdle; and the avy slope/chute AA recommends is the best approach fm tiny Heather Creek camp .. but much steeper and more gnarly imo than it appears in his photos (esp at the top where foot and hand holds are scarce, but more so on the decent out) .. esp with packs full for our possible 5-day stay and 5lbs of camera gear strapped across our chests. But, all the pain, scrapes, cuts (on sharp rock), bruises and badly sprained pinkie were still totally worth it .. We made it ezily up to the beautiful basin at the base of Mt Fricaba the 1st day (bout 7.5 mi, 3100’) .. even with a 2-hr stop at Heather Creek for some R & R and to avoid the afternoon heat on one of the hottest days of the year. Beyond the avy slope the xc route sidehills thru loose talus, scree, then alpine fir and mountain hemlock til finally breakin out into a sea of knee-high wildflowers with heather fields, damp mossy gardens, huckleberries, babbling brook, millions of grasshoppers and numerous falls spilling off the snowfields from high on Hal Foss Peak. Here, we happily made camp and dinner, and waited in quiet anticipation for sunset – spotting a bear foraging on the slopes in the evening light before disappearing into the trees for the nite. We enjoyed a nice set, then turned our backs to put away the cameras. But, not entirely satisfied .. I grabbed another quick look, only to be surprised by old man moon peeking up over the Constances .. so we settled in for an amazin twilight display .. we’re so dang lucky .. as the moon has certainly been our friend this season ..
Sunrise on Olympic Ridge
Sunrise on Olympic Ridge
Moonrise over Inner Constance
Moonrise over Inner Constance
Subalpine Meadowland
Subalpine Meadowland
Indian Paint
Indian Paint
Blue Gentian
Blue Gentian
Subalpine Meadow
Subalpine Meadow
Fricaba Basin
Fricaba Basin
Early next morn after a leisurely breakfast and much filming and picture-taking we packed and headed higher for the pass; wending up one beautiful bench after another .. gradually (as we were in no particular rush – xcept to beat the heat) .. making our way gently thru fragile zen gardens and onto stark rock and snowfields .. with the far-reaching vistas only gettin better .. til finally arrivin on the broad pass between Hal Foss and Fricaba (at roughly 6500’) .. greeted by a much-welcomed cool mountain breeze .. our entry into the fabled Deception Basin. WOW! Sweeping before us … Mt Mystery’s rocky crags on the south .. the massif Deception towering high to north .. and jagged ridges defending this hidden shangri-la – rock in shades of gray and vast verdant meadows beyond .. a most enchanting basin spilling far below with melting tarns and countless streams feeding Deception Creek as it wound down to the lower basin before dropping steeply into the Dose .. and Olympus with its expansive Blue and Hoh glaciers framed o so perfectly far out in the distance. So who says the Olys are only for ridge runners and meadow walkers?? Yikes … it doesn’t get much better than this! Xcept maybe back here again when all is wrapped in winter’s coat .. one can only imagine wink.gif
Olympus from Fricaba Pass
Olympus from Fricaba Pass
Mt Deception and the Upper Basin
Mt Deception and the Upper Basin
So, we spotted a small lake (large tarn) .. at the lower end of the upper basin with a few trees .. and decided to head there for camp .. as the bear can was not proving big enough to hold all our food and scented stuff so hangin would still be helpful; plus this would make a great base for explorin the rest of the basin in the days to come. But once there we found only 1 established site .. but totally exposed (and with thunder storms predicted for next day and threatening clouds already building fast we worried about that); plus it was really too close to the water. But after searchin for a better spot we finally settled on it rather than creating a new one. We just made sure to tread lightly around the lake .. ez as we always take a lite bucket so we can limit our trips to the water’s edge .. this helps a lot .. really … as does stayin on the rocks to avoid the soft ground and heather clumps.
Deception Reflecting on Tarn
Deception Reflecting on Tarn
Camp with Mt Mystery
Camp with Mt Mystery
Upper Basin Wetland
Upper Basin Wetland
Mt Deception
Mt Deception
After lunch we headed for nearby Mystery’s glacier, moraines and lake. But, instead of the lake we opted to climb south up the lateral moraine as far as we could go .. for a close-up of Mystery, its small but impressive glacier and views across the basin to Deception (what a hunk) … spectacular scenery! But also carefully studying that scary lookin way trail up to Deception Pass .. as we were now considering a loop trip .. but yikes .. it looked crazy steep and exposed from this perspective ..
Deception from Mystery's Moraine
Mystery Shadow on Glacial Lake
Mystery Shadow on Glacial Lake
Deception Pass way trail -- see the higher pass on the right -- not the lower one on the left
Deception Pass way trail -- see the higher pass on the right -- not the lower one on the left
Goats on Mystery
Goats on Mystery
Mt Mystery
Mt Mystery
Mystery Glacier Cracks
Mystery Glacier Cracks
The Needles
The Needles
Upper Mystery Glacier
Upper Mystery Glacier
So eventually back to camp for dinner and another awesome sunset … throwin caution to the wind and decidin to leave the tent flyless in the bright moonlight .. most sublime that nite
Hal Foss Peak
Hal Foss Peak
Tarn Reflection
Tarn Reflection
Sunset from Deception Basin
Sunset from Deception Basin
Twilight from Deception Basin
Twilight from Deception Basin
Sat we woke early .. as always .. to a warm soft breeze (which soon died) .. too warm too soon.. and blue bird skies .. hmmm … where were those clouds they promised now??
Sunrise Alpenglow on Deception
Sunrise Alpenglow on Deception
Mystery Shadows
Mystery Shadows
Deception Shadows
Deception Shadows
Mystery Rock
Mystery Rock
Deception's Summit
Deception's Summit
Ripples
Ripples
Morning Reflections
Morning Reflections
Anyway .. we stripped down, slathered on the sunscreen and slowly made our way down thru lush fields of flowers and past rushin streams cascading on gentle rock steps to the basin floor below … with the scent of lupine thick in the air .. sooo pervasive .. like a drug .. total sensory overload. Once again we stopped to study that dang Deception Pass trail .. thinking .. ha maybe not soo bad after all .. least fm this perspective. .. though still lookin pretty dang steep and airy near the top. Once in the lower basin we found an ez place to cross Deception Creek (almost a river now) which was heavily laden with glacial milk fm Mystery’s lake above. We carefully crossed the meadow .. a marshy wetland of willow and other moisture-lovin plants to reach firmer ground at the base of Mystery .. thoughts of Yosemite Valley in its infancy couldn’t help but come to mind … We headed west to the end of the basin to see where the creek dropped off .. hoping for a spectacular fall to shoot .. but if so .. we couldn’t get to it safely to find out. So we climbed a short distance up a safe shoulder on Mystery thru a massive boulder field for another possible vantage … but still nothing; plus the haze beyond the basin made this somewhat pointless for any other good photo ops. By then it was late afternoon so we headed back following Deception Creek up to its source .. Mystery’s glacier lake. We hopped across near the outlet and relaxed .. in still air .. the lake .. a stunning pewter color .. at eye level was perfectly flat. A breeze kicked up – natural air conditioning off the glacier .. and I found myself sitting there totally mesmerized by the sunlight dancin on the water … I could’ve stayed forever ..
Mountain Lupine
Mountain Lupine
Scree Slopes on Deception
Scree Slopes on Deception
Lower Deception Basin
Lower Deception Basin
Talus Wildflower
Talus Wildflower
The Foot of Deception Basin
The Foot of Deception Basin
O did I mention I ran out of battery power just b-4?? That really sucked leaving the rest of the trip to memory .. and to Robert’s video .. not such a bad thing .. but still we had another sunset and rise to look forward to .. and lots more flowers .. so I felt a little sad (and naked) without it. Anyway, we had the basin all to ourselves on Fri and most of Sat .. as far as we knew .. til we came upon another couple camped above us out of sight after walkin up there for the eve .. and also met up with 2 friendly smilin (and maybe a little crazy) brothers fm Poulsbo who had climbed up to the ridge fm Royal Basin (just east of Deception Pass – to Pt 7160’) .. and then decided to drop into the basin as they too had always dreamed to visit here .. though they had to return that nite (or wives would worry) and ended up headin back after dark .. by headlamp and moonlight .. 1st up that nasty pass trail .. and then all the way to the trailhead on the Dungeness – this was their playground since childhood, but still I worried til this morn when I finally heard they got back safe. Originally we were plannin to stay longer thinkin we might try climbin Hal Foss one morn or early eve (though upon closer examination the final summit push looked way beyond my comfort zone and skill level) … or Fricaba which looked more gentler .. and/or maybe even headin up to Deception Pass to check it out and peer over into Royal Basin … ha .. that one got nixed real fast. Anyway as fate would have it .. we woke to a brisk wind and cloudy skies early Sunday morn .. so we hopped up and decided to eat, pack and head out while the gettin was good .. but leisurely .. planning more filming along the way. Though in the distance huge thunder heads were building over Olympus and b-4 we could even get the water boilin for coffee the rain hit .. we bagged on breakfast, packed up fast and headed out .. then course it cleared up .. but it was all good .. by the time we were on the Heather Creek trail again the thunder was rumblin overhead, and we were cruisin merrily in the warm summer rain. obtw: I wish they’d ban the commercial flights over the heart of the Olympics .. we were sittin right under their flight path .. the noise was insane esp in such a pristine environment. Total stats (including day hikes) -- 20 mi, 8098' gain, high point only 6463' -- ha .. such is ramblin in the olys wink.gif

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
hermes

hermes
PostWed Aug 20, 2008 1:39 pm 
Fabulous report Silence and I agree about the flight noise. We were in Grand Valley (had to postpone following your footsteps of a couple of years ago!) and I was thinking it must be right on some flight path.

Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen

Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen
PostWed Aug 20, 2008 1:44 pm 
Superb photos of a stunning area. I recall having an interesting time of it going up from Upper Royal Basin and dropping into Deception Basin. We took the route described in the Olympic Mountains Climbing guide, which is not where the "trail" is. Needless to say, it was a chossy and steep experience. Great TR. Really love your pictures!

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostWed Aug 20, 2008 2:00 pm 
wonderful TR and photos! when we were in the upper royal basin, plans were nixed due to time constraints to go up and over to deception basin. your TR gave me a bit of rush to get there someday....soon, i hope biggrin.gif that flight path is a pain. the sound of one of the planes was so loud, i though it was going to land or crash nearby. shakehead.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostWed Aug 20, 2008 5:55 pm 
Nice TR and pictures up.gif I've been wanting to visit that area after I've read a few of the TR's from there lately.

Eric Eames
strider

strider
PostWed Aug 20, 2008 7:10 pm 
Wow. One of the dwindling list of Oly desinations on the list. It just went to the top of the list. Fabulous pix and report, thank you. Speaking (sic) of noise ... my son was in the Oly's for a week + in Sept 2001 and noticed the unusuallly pristine audio experience (no airplanes). During the hike, he had noted and was was speculating about the total absence of air traffic overhead. He didn't come close to guessing the actual reason with his speculations. When he returned from the week long hike, he learned about the WTC and the subsequent curtailment of commercial air travel. Methinks the realities of human activity across the face of Mother Earth leave few, if any places that are not touched by sound, or sight, or ???. I wonder if some undiscovered tribe is currently worshiping the mysterious tracks in the sky - tracks you and I would immediately recognize as vapor trails left by jetliners.

strider I've never been lost, but I'm frequently uncertain where my destination might be in relation to where I am at the moment....
javman

javman
PostWed Aug 20, 2008 7:41 pm 
Great report and beautiful photos!

reststep

reststep
PostWed Aug 20, 2008 7:47 pm 
Silence I really enjoyed your report and pictures. Thank you for sharing. I am going to have to try and get there sometime.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
drewcoll

drewcoll
PostWed Aug 20, 2008 8:12 pm 
The flight path over the Olympics is for planes heading north and west. Asian and Alaskan flights go over them, and the Asian flights are your wide-body planes with lots of people and cargo (and noise). We've seen a double digit increase in these flights this year. However, this northern flight path does not occur during south flow to the same extent, so if its not sunny the flight path is further south... great huh? So expect it to be a little quieter when its wetter out. lol.gif I doubt they'd change the paths, they've been the way they are for years... (I work at Sea-Tac and often deal with noise wink.gif )

Don

Don
PostWed Aug 20, 2008 8:37 pm 
Awesome report Silence! I have camped on the ridge separating Royal Basin and Deception Basin, and ran the ridge to Fricaba, but never ventured into the Basin. I actually want to climb Mystery from Del Monte Ridge, then descend into Deception Basin. Someday soon... Excellent work! up.gif

Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostWed Aug 20, 2008 8:47 pm 
Silence, your TRs and pictures are spectacular - as I mentioned in your last report you manage to capture the feel of the Olympics in a special way. Keep em coming up.gif

Without judgement what would we do? We would be forced to look at ourselves... -Death
silence

silence
PostWed Aug 20, 2008 8:56 pm 
hey folks .. thanks a bunch .. sooo glad y'all enjoyed .. the basin is definitely a very special place (everything we ever hoped for and more) -- and certainly worthy of much respect and appreciation .. we're just sooo dang lucky to still have these precious nuggets of pure wilderness right in our own backyard .. we look forward to returnin again someday ..
Don wrote:
I actually want to climb Mystery from Del Monte Ridge, then descend into Deception Basin. Someday soon...
yeah .. yeah don ... wink.gif no just kiddin biggrin.gif that route looks tough but pretty dang awesome .. way better choice than up deception creek ..

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostWed Aug 20, 2008 10:14 pm 
What a timely and wonderful report. Thanks, Silence!! After spending Saturday on Del Monte Ridge and running into some young men headed to Deception Basin, I was really curious how they were going to get there. Then reststep guided me to two reports, one by AA and one by PIB, then the Alti-Whips shared some more information from their trip. Now your report. Awesome! Your pictures are absolutely splendid. My favorite is "Moon over Constance." Wasn't that the most beautiful moon on such a clear night. We watched the same moon rise on the same night only from Sunnybrook Meadows. And the thunderstorms on Sunday! Wow. What time did you reach the TH?

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
silence

silence
PostWed Aug 20, 2008 10:19 pm 
ha goats .. i was just catchin up and readin your great report .. awesome .. then checkin out pib's 06 trip .. very interestin agree.gif .. back to yours now wink.gif

ethorson

ethorson
PostThu Aug 21, 2008 7:10 am 
Great trip report! I have always wanted to see the basin and your photos provide a great preview. Some time ago I was at the confluence of Deception Creek and the drainage from Gunsight Pass. I wanted to head up to the basin past the falls on Deception Creek but there was just not enough time.