Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt Baring – 8/17
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
peltoms

peltoms
PostSat Aug 23, 2008 5:03 am 
What is the vertical gain on that gully?

North Cascade Glacier Climate Project: http://www.nichols.edu/departments/glacier/
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tigermn

tigermn
PostSat Aug 23, 2008 6:12 am 
EastKing wrote:
I heard from some reports it is just Class 2. Kind of hard to believe when you are looking at the mountain.
As long as "some reports" aren't from Beckeys guide.... the master of the understatement.. lol.gif Yea I think the comment in this report was if you were comfortable with the haystack that was about the difficulty as far as scrambling. Baring may be added to my to do list with the caveat/unknown of the real comfort level of the scramble part. If it isn't exposed to the one fall leads to doom, I don't have so much of a problem with it. It's that aaaaaaaagggggghhhhhhhh feeling if you look down and see a few hundred feet of air etc. Well it's off to Dickerman this morning. It was either that or Alta's revenge (probably next weekend)

chefothefuture

chefothefuture
PostSat Aug 23, 2008 7:48 am 
I think Jeff Smoot rates it at a class 2. But that's really relative... I mean, some books describe Three Fingers as a class 3.... Looks like I'll need to hit Baring next year (or maybe in October...) Thanks smile.gif

11th Essential

11th Essential
PostSun Aug 24, 2008 1:39 pm 
Wow, lots of interest in Baring. It is a very cool and doable summit. To elaborate a bit more on the scrambling one would likely encounter, there are really just a few short sections that necessitate finding foot holds and holding on with both hands. And there is very minimal exposure, nothing that would equate to a fatal slip. Back to the Si Haystack analogy, if you summed up all the short sections of hands and feet scrambling on Baring it would not equate to the entire Haystack scramble. And the exposure on the last bit of the Haystack scramble is greater than the exposure on the scramble sections of Baring. But once you get up there looking over the edge are some very vertigo-inducing views. As for its "rating", yes, Beckey lists it as a class 2, and it is just that for 95% of the way with just a little bit of what I think of as class 3. Peltoms, as for the vertical gain on the gully, it was about 500 ft. Another neat thing about this one that I didn't mention was that we were the only ones up there. Kinda nice (rare) to have a route all to yourself on a Sunday in August. So good luck to anyone heading up there.