Forum Index > Trip Reports > TNAB: Wright Mountain, wrong day - 2008.08.21
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
moosefish
I am the fish

moosefish
I am the fish
PostFri Aug 22, 2008 1:28 am 
Eight of us headed up to Wright Mountain via Snow and Gem Lakes: Scott and Jo (the lykkens), Joe (GQ), Joe (International Joe), Joe (Ryan), Joe (Yukon), Joe (EWB), and Joe (me). We also had three dogs, but they aren't named Joe so they don't get a listing. Weather was iffy with clouds obscuring the peaks. We made Snow Lake in an hour and Gem Lake 45 minutes later. From Gem we followed directions from Joe (Alti-dude) and followed the obvious trail from the east side of Gem to the ridge and then to the summit of Wright at about 8:05. The weather hadn't cleared up, but made for some interesting views of the surrounding peaks, down to Gem and Upper Wildcat, and kept the chardonnay nicely chilled. EWB had started early and we saw him only briefly at the first big talus field. International Joe got to about 5,100 feet or so before turning back... just 100 feet below the summit. We saw only a group camped at Gem and another pair rocking out on the way to Gem. They knew about TNAB (are you guys here?) and as we passed them they said, "TNAB it!" (or something similar). Joe and I discussed what their definition of the new verb was. It was good if it was something like "to boldly go where no one has gone before and do it fast and in the dark," but not so good if it was "race for your destination in a massive herd without consideration for others or the natural beauty that surrounds you, dorks." We left the summit after about half an hour and somehow it took us 2.5 hours to get back to the cars even though it was only two hours to get up. We did battle the darkness and a wicked fog from time to time, but those were quick battles that shouldn't have consumed half an hour. We may also have fallen under a warlock's spell or something. Dunno. Although there was talk of the Pour House I don't think that materialized. I came home to load a trailer full of firewood for a family car camping trip tomorrow. My pics (such as they are) will have to wait for later, but I'm sure Jo or Joe (and maybe even Joe) have some they'll add.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
run4cache

run4cache
PostFri Aug 22, 2008 8:40 am 
I wish I had been there! Hopefully, next week. I'm glad to hear you made it to your destination in spite of the weather.

Yet

Yet
PostFri Aug 22, 2008 10:02 am 
Very nice TR, Joe! Too funny. embarassedlaugh.gif Wow, 2 hours to Wright Mtn - you guys were flying!
moosefish wrote:
"to boldly go where no one has gone before and do it fast and in the dark,"
mum.gif

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostFri Aug 22, 2008 10:23 am 
Parking lot: wright weather
yukon, jo, ryan, scott, john, joe (not pictured eric and joseph)
yukon, jo, ryan, scott, john, joe (not pictured eric and joseph)
Clouds clear off: wright views
snow lake as we ran by
snow lake as we ran by
5 miles in: wright attitudes
quick pic please
quick pic please
Summit: wright rewards
cheers to TNAB
cheers to TNAB
Wright Mnt Summit
Wright Mnt Summit
Wet trail in the dark: wrong steps
knee carnage
knee carnage
Parking lot arrival: wright place
not last to the lot!!
not last to the lot!!
Pourhouse: wrong time

Yet

Yet
PostFri Aug 22, 2008 10:34 am 
Excellent photos, Jo! up.gif #1: Yukon looks like a giant compared to all the rest of you midgets. embarassedlaugh.gif wink.gif #2: Ouch, your knee! I think it is the right knee, too, yes? That's the one I hurt on Ruth. Yay, now we're twins! agree.gif #3: You're cute! wink.gif tongue.gif

rdyhiker

rdyhiker
PostFri Aug 22, 2008 10:41 am 
I just knew I was gonna regret missing this one... all those good looking 'Joes'... and only one Jo. Lucky girl. <Sigh> Woulda, coulda, shoulda. devilsmile.gif Next week??

Yet

Yet
PostFri Aug 22, 2008 10:44 am 
Well, the giant one is a "fake" Joe. His name is really Jack.

gone

gone
PostFri Aug 22, 2008 12:53 pm 
If anyone had told me that I could have Snow Lake to myself some afternoon in the second half of August I'd have told them they were nuts. But there I was last night on the shores of Snow Lake with nary a Joe around. I suppose with the TNAB Joes making their way around the bend to Gem and Wright I wasn't entirely alone, but you couldn't tell it from the sights and sounds. Wonderfully peaceful. Beautifully lonely. Oh, and f*$&%ng freezing-a&$ cold!! eek.gif The shot of cold air that met me coming over the ridge into the Snow Lake basin sent shivers up my spine and over my balding head, and brought forth a flood of cold, snowy, wintry hike memories. Only the beauty of the lake shrouded in misty, wispy, moving clouds kept me from retreating back over the ridge. Well, that and the brief glimpse I caught of the TNAB Joes on the lower trail, which caused me to believe for a brief moment that I might, with a death-defying descent, actually catch the pack. No joy. Still, the scenery and solitude were wonderful. The trail was incredibly wet, water running everywhere - over, down, and along. Very different than this time last year when I thought I'd choke on the dust. After making it down to the lake I closed my eyes, crossed my fingers, and hopped the whitewater bolders at the inlet crossing and cruised around to the Middle Fork fork. There I contemplated heading to Gem, thought better of it, had a snack and headed back. Notwithstanding the fact that I left 15 minutes early and was caught by yukon at the first set of rocks and by everyone else before the first switchback (except Joe, who caught me just after that), I thought I made pretty good time: just 1:15 to Snow Lake; much longer on the return, though: 1:30 from the ridge (back at my car at 9:30PM). It seems my hiking parts have atrophied some for lack of use the last couple of months. Even before that, though, they weren't developed enough to keep up with a TNAB pack. Next time I'm going to get me an hour head start! wink.gif Here are some pics I shot along the way:
Snow Lake trail falls
Snow Lake trail falls
Snow Lake trail falls (bad pano)
Snow Lake trail falls (bad pano)
Who was that unmasked man?
1 label
Who was that unmasked man?
First look at Snow Lake
First look at Snow Lake
Snow Lake inlet falls
Snow Lake inlet falls
Whitewater rock-hop at the Snow Lake inlet
Whitewater rock-hop at the Snow Lake inlet
Snow Lake through the woods
Snow Lake through the woods
Eerie Snow Lake shore
Eerie Snow Lake shore
Glad everyone made it out safely! Looking forward to the next one! up.gif

BarbE

BarbE
PostFri Aug 22, 2008 2:30 pm 
Wright Mountain being one of my favorites in that area made it a tough decision to bail out last minute. Oh, maybe nobody will be there in this crappy weather I thought, and no way could it be done in 2 hours. shakehead.gif How could I have doubted TNABers! And beer waiting at the summit? DANG! bawl.gif

yukon222

yukon222
PostFri Aug 22, 2008 2:38 pm 
There were plenty of refreshments at the summit - excellent wine supplied by Joseph, some Yukon Jack, whiskey, H20, etc. hockeygrin.gif Sorry you weren't there - fleeting but interesting views of Snow Lake thru the swirling fog. I'll post a few pics tonight when I get home. You doubted TNAB'ers could do it in 2hrs? Not when they get on their horses and haul! horsey.gif dance.gif

yukon222

yukon222
PostFri Aug 22, 2008 7:38 pm 
A few pics from the 2 hr speed hike up to Wright Mtn. The fog was swirling back and forth over the water, slipping between trees and rocks.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostFri Aug 22, 2008 10:02 pm 
Quote:
Not  only is he a giant, but he is impervious to the pain of having run a trekking pole through his own foot
Not only is he a giant, but he is impervious to the pain of having run a trekking pole through his own foot
Strong work peoples, I wish I was there. I wub.gif blurry-fast hink.gif

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostFri Aug 22, 2008 10:58 pm 
Looked like an awesome trip. up.gif up.gif If you have an beta on Wright Peak, I like to know about it. I hope to hit the peak in the near future. I will be shooting for Rampart Ridge next weekend.

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
tigermn

tigermn
PostSat Aug 23, 2008 12:27 am 
EastKing wrote:
Looked like an awesome trip. up.gif up.gif If you have an beta on Wright Peak, I like to know about it. I hope to hit the peak in the near future. I will be shooting for Rampart Ridge next weekend.
Rampart Ridge which way? I might be trying the revenge of Alta next weekend. I think I'm doing Dickerman this weekend (which reminds me I'd better get some sleep)...

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostSat Aug 23, 2008 1:04 am 
Next Thursday with TNAB. I am not to sure which way they are going though. Alta is a cool peak with great views. up.gif up.gif

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.