Forum Index > Trip Reports > Enchantments Run - 8/26/2008
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Aug 28, 2008 9:18 am 
A run through the Enchantments in a day has become a classic fall fun run for the local ultrarunning crowd. Movenhike, that's a big day. Sounds like something Scottie Jurek would do as a training run.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu Aug 28, 2008 9:45 am 
up.gif WOW ! reminds me of snowshoeing last year, when along comes a guy flying by in running shoes and running snowshoes leaving a trail of powder tails behind him.

Living in the Anthropocene
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostThu Aug 28, 2008 10:56 am 
I really envy those who can run so easily uphill. It's a gift. To be able to travel so far and so fast in a day. Umm. In just part of a day. Good for you, and thanks for sharing some great pics. I'm going to go take a walk now... winksmile.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
stacymarie

stacymarie
PostThu Aug 28, 2008 11:34 am 
I was out at Lake Kachess last weekend and ran into the ending leg of the Cascade Crest 100 Mile Endurance Run. Freakin' crazy! 100 miles in 36 hours. Check out the website: http://www.cascadecrest100.com/ I love the idea of being able to do that much trail in a day, but I want to stop and smell the bear grass smile.gif Beautiful Pictures, I can't wait to one day get up there!

life is short, but sweet for certain my website: www.lostintheecotone.com
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Aug 28, 2008 12:14 pm 
stacymarie wrote:
I was out at Lake Kachess last weekend and ran into the ending leg of the Cascade Crest 100 Mile Endurance Run. Freakin' crazy! 100 miles in 36 hours. Check out the website: http://www.cascadecrest100.com/
I had many friends in the CCC race field and volunteer pool. Many of that group do the Enchantments in a day as a larch season trip. The local ultra community is a great bunch of folks. Although ultras are called "runs," most participants walk or shuffle most of a hilly 100 mile course. A majority of the CCC finishers crossed the finish line between 27 and 36 hours, and thus were averaging between 16 and 21 minute mile pace, i.e., roughly 3 to 4 mph. A tough hiker usually does just fine in an ultra, even if he or she is not a "runner." If anyone out there is interested in trying an ultra, Cle Elum Ridge 50k, which is being held in the next few weeks, is a great first-timer course.

pantilat

pantilat
PostThu Aug 28, 2008 12:40 pm 
I run trail races up through 50k. Aside from visiting home a few weeks a year I live in the Bay Area, CA where there is fantastic trail running and trail races. I did Cle Elum as my first 50k last year (2nd overall) and I think it is on the more challenging side. Maybe it was the sandy/dusty trails or the fact that my calf cramped badly with 10 miles to go and did not abate for the rest of the run. It is definitely a slower course, but well organized and fun. http://sites.google.com/site/leorpantilat/

kevino

kevino
PostThu Aug 28, 2008 12:56 pm 
Didn't feel like posting this one on cc? Great loop. I'm curious to see what I can knock it down in.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Aug 28, 2008 1:07 pm 
pantilat wrote:
I did Cle Elum as my first 50k last year (2nd overall) and I think it is on the more challenging side. Maybe it was the sandy/dusty trails or the fact that my calf cramped badly with 10 miles to go and did not abate for the rest of the run. It is definitely a slower course, but well organized and fun.
Cool. Welcome to the ultra community. You are coming in as I am exiting. I suggested CE50k as a first timer not because it is a fast course, but because it has a very high record re first time finishers. I've run it 11 times, including the first 10, and I recall several years when every first time finisher finished -- that's a real rarity. The option to start an hour early helps that stat. I'd rank CE50k as an average or a bit easier than average PNW 50k course in terms of difficulty. Comparing ultra finishes is definitely a relative exercise. Compared to the CA ultras I've run (Way Too Cool, Headlands, OTHTC High Desert), the CE course is slow. But, compared to many of the PNW 50k's (e.g., Knee Knackering, pre-2006 McDonald Forest, Chuckanut, PCT, Hagg Lake, Diez Vista), CE is a walk in the park!

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostThu Aug 28, 2008 2:55 pm 
BigSteve wrote:
I think there's something to be said for being light, i.e., not like you and me. winksmile.gif
Roger that, BigSteve. wink.gif When I'm under 250 (i.e. 70 pounds lighter than I am now) , I *fly* up the mountains. When I was 225, I could really cover some ground.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Wopper

Wopper
PostThu Aug 28, 2008 9:14 pm 
I walked the loop in 12.5 hours earlier this year and felt pretty good about. My head hangs in shame.

seattlehikertoo

seattlehikertoo
PostThu Aug 28, 2008 9:37 pm 
Nice run. One of my favorite spots. Let me know when your next TR is (no, I don't mean "trail report" biggrin.gif hockeygrin.gif ) please.

seattlehikertoo

seattlehikertoo
PostThu Aug 28, 2008 9:46 pm 
Big Steve, The ultrarunners took me on the enchantments run back in 04. It was awesome and humbling at the same time. Krissy Moehl and Brandon Sybrowski were carrying on a full conversation while ascending Aasgard while I was wondering if I was going to be able to walk the next day - or ever for that matter. They are machines. Scott Jurek, who used to live across the street from me, didn't go on that one.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Aug 29, 2008 7:35 am 
seattlehikertoo wrote:
Big Steve, The ultrarunners took me on the enchantments run back in 04. It was awesome and humbling at the same time. Krissy Moehl and Brandon Sybrowski were carrying on a full conversation while ascending Aasgard while I was wondering if I was going to be able to walk the next day - or ever for that matter. They are machines. Scott Jurek, who used to live across the street from me, didn't go on that one.
Ah, back when B&K were still B&K. Good folks. PM me if you want to join our group this October -- any friend of B,K & S is a friend of ours. We'll be going much slower too.

Roald

Roald
PostThu Sep 04, 2008 3:08 pm 
Does anyone from this thread want to do a trail run Friday or Saturday, Sept 5 or 6? I'm thinking 15-25 miles, not too far from Seattle - maybe some ALW trails near I-90 - either morning or afternoon works. No blazing speed here, just enjoying the trails and jumping in a lake or two. PM me if interested.

portlander

portlander
PostSun Sep 21, 2008 5:06 pm 
I hiked the Enchantments earlier this year, during the hike I kept thinking it would be a great trail run. I live down in Portland and would love to come up and run the loop in October. If anyone is planning on doing the trek and wouldn't mind an extra tagging along I would to join in.