Forum Index > Trip Reports > Enchantments Run - 8/26/2008
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun Sep 21, 2008 7:58 pm 
Enchabtment Run
IT never ceases to amaze me what I see on Aasgard Pass. Last year my daughter and I were passed by a guy carrying a heavy pack (with climbing gear) that was wearing a pair of cheap shower shoes! This year, same trip, same daughter, about half way up we passed a guy taking his 81 year old father up for the full loop. He was struggling but still going as we looked down from the top. This all fits into "if you wanna do it and you think you can do it then do it"

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Sep 22, 2008 8:24 am 
portlander wrote:
I hiked the Enchantments earlier this year, during the hike I kept thinking it would be a great trail run. I live down in Portland and would love to come up and run the loop in October. If anyone is planning on doing the trek and wouldn't mind an extra tagging along I would to join in.
PM sent

climbonice

climbonice
PostSun Aug 08, 2010 2:13 pm 
Enchantments Loop + 4th of July and Icicle Ridge
Quote:
O. K. Guys, now you're ready: (My father-in-law has done this at least once, if not twice) Start jogging from center of Leavenworth (say Uncle Uli's for example), Run to Snow Lakes trail, Up past Snow lakes and through the Enchantments basin's to Aasgard Pass. Pick your way down Aasgard to Colchuck Lake and the Mountaineer Creek Trailhead. He takes a quick break here and dines on some food and liquids that he stashed prior to the run. THEN, He continues on jogging down the 8mile road down to the Icicle River Road. Where he takes a LEFT (that's correct, a left) and jogs to the Fourth of July Creek T.H. then up to the Lookout Junction (gaining back over 4500 vertical feet) From here he follows the Icicle Ridge trail back to Leavenworth and jogs back to the center of Leavenworth and his house. IN ONE DAY He claims it's very close to 50 miles. Private message me if anyone's interested, Dan (FIL) is trying to organize a race of this nature that can be done solo, any time of year for best record in any given month.
Solid run, it's actually about 36.5 miles. I recently did the full Enchantments loop and I've been looking for other trails to do so thanks for posting this.

climbonice

climbonice
PostSun Aug 08, 2010 2:19 pm 
Enchantments Loop - Snow Creek TH (full)
In case anyone wants to know the "short" Enchantments loop is 16.85 miles as measured on a 7.5' map using NG TOPO! this loop is measure from the Snow Creek Trail Head to the Eight Mile Road. I just completed the "long" loop which is 25.25 miles. Starting at Snow Creek TH, down the Eight Mile road and returning to the car at Snow Creek TH. Quick stats for this run. TIME: 9:15 DISTANCE: 25.25 miles GAIN: 7273' (map), 7080' (Suunto) CONDITIONS: Mostly dry, except for several short snow sections in the basin About 30 mins for breaks and photos. My target time was 9 hrs and if it wasn't for bonking after reaching the Enchantments Plateau and the four mile run on Icicle Creek I think I could've done it in 8:30. I highly recommend this loop, especially starting from Snow Creek. It might be more sketchy coming down Asgard, but it beats going up. I've been on the trail to Colchuck for approaching climbs way too many times and it's never fun coming down, however it was a blast to run down. I was dreading the run down 8 mile road, however it turned out to be a nice, relaxing run. The run on Icicle was hellish (I almost never run on pavement).

Jason Hummel

Jason Hummel
PostSun Aug 08, 2010 2:23 pm 
Awesome man. I love this run and have done it 3 times. With all the runs you guys do, I'm impressed. You've pushed through some very awesome terrain very quickly i.e., ptarmigan traverse, olympus, pickets, etc. I always thought seeing so much terrain so quickly had an appeal.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostMon Aug 09, 2010 1:03 pm 
I am always curious as to what IS the plan for ultra runners, if someone breaks an ankle or otherwise trips and gets injured badly enough to get stuck? Do they send out the rest of the group (assuming they are not solo or lagging behind) to run and get help from the Ultra runners rescue group that is on standby, that can come running in with a stretcher to run the injured person out before hypothermia and/or dehydration sets in, which probably isn't all that long in a nylon tank top with stylin' '80's shorts? Or do they just take a locally found tree limb or rock and put the person out of their misery? Or are they that tough that they are truely unbreakable? Or do they have such a self-destructive bent to their personalities that they embrace that last moment? Or are they just that optimisitic that they figure that will never happen? Enquiring minds want to know! biggrin.gif ...especially having done a self-extraction from backcountry myself with broken ankle while xc- skiiing and glad to have lugged gear along.

friluftsliv
climbonice

climbonice
PostMon Aug 09, 2010 3:39 pm 
I can't speak for the ultra runners, although I do some fairly long (25 mile plus) solo runs and backcountry excursions to climb so I can tell you what I do. I've always been self-reliant and personally I would crawl, limp or do whatever it takes to survive. I always carry a minimum amount of gear, especially on long runs. I carry a small 5.5 L pack (Osprey Talon) which is very light and doesn't bother me when I run. I see the ultra runners going out 50+ miles with nothing for emergency, which IMO is asking for trouble and perhaps a rescue. Even so there is still plenty of risk when you're out that far be it solo or part of a group. If I saw another person that needed my aid I would certainly offer it as long as it makes sense, as in if I am the best option to help them and if they are not acting like a jackass (trust me I've seen it all). Here are my essentials: - Waterproof jacket with hood - Small first aid kit - Mini emergency bivy - wool hat - map and compass - headlamp That's pretty much it, but it's enough if you're stuck out for a night or two. I also carry a bit of extra food and electrolyte tabs.

sospeso

sospeso
PostWed Aug 03, 2011 11:58 am 
I'll post in the partners section as well, but is anyone interested in doing this with me as a trail run the week of 21-27 August. I'd be interested in doing either the long or short loop.