Forum Index > Trip Reports > Big Lou / Big Jim attempt 7/31/11
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
woutervw
In search of trips

woutervw
In search of trips
PostSun Jul 31, 2011 9:55 pm 
The weather forecast sounded like it could be bad, so I looked for something on the other side of the pass. My first pick was Snowgrass, but the road is washed out. So I thought I could go to Big Jim. My book states that you can get there by means of the north ridge. And I found Ragman's report of doing it through the south ridge. I got up early and was at the TH at around 8. Along the trail I met a couple of guys on horseback. Zoey was impressed. We chatted a bit and they reminded me of the casualty above Lake Augusta of two weeks ago. Nice way to start my day. When I got to the Badlands turn-off, I got a look at the north ridge. That looked too steep, so I decided against it and kept on the trail to Lake Augusta. It took me about 4 hours to get to the lake. That's a long trail! Following Ragman's advice, I aimed for Big Lou. Up the ridge and over point 7443. And then over to the Icicle Ridge. Hmmm, that looks like more than I can handle right now. My legs are tired and I don't want to try that scramble. So I turned around and went the opposite direction. Up to Pt 7571 and have a look at the ridge to Big Jim. Hmmm, this is where that guy fell. No, not this day, not on these tired legs. So back the way we came and we were at the car around a quarter to 5. Miles: yes Elevation gain: yes Total time: 8.5 hours The flowers are out everywhere. It was a feast for the eyes.
The ladybug and the ant
The ladybug and the ant
The first snow she found
White plants!
White plants!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
BarbE

BarbE
PostMon Aug 01, 2011 8:41 am 
woutervw wrote:
Up to Pt 7571 and have a look at the ridge to Big Jim. Hmmm, this is where that guy fell. No, not this day, not on these tired legs.
The same thought went through my head. I wondered if that's where the accident happened. eek.gif

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostMon Aug 01, 2011 8:13 pm 
Nice pics and flowers! Any day is a good day on the trail! up.gif

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
Enjoirekk

Enjoirekk
PostMon Aug 01, 2011 8:31 pm 
nice

Stella

Stella
PostWed Aug 03, 2011 12:22 pm 
The white plant looks to be the elusive Phantom orchid (Cephalanthera austiniae). That's a rare and cool thing to find.

woutervw
In search of trips

woutervw
In search of trips
PostWed Aug 03, 2011 1:12 pm 
Stella wrote:
The white plant looks to be the elusive Phantom orchid (Cephalanthera austiniae).
Thanks, I was wondering what that was. I'm sorry the photo is of such poor quality. My hiker camera is nothing stecial and it was so dark where the plant was that a flash was a must. No way to compensate anything on this camera, so this is the best it could do. I was rather surprised finding it. It's only the second chlorophyll-less plant I've found here (the other was in the ONP).