Forum Index > Trip Reports > TNAB's Rampart Ridge Non-TR (082808)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Sep 02, 2008 9:31 am 
The road has a short fuse to destruction, there is a major washout about 1/4 mi. in. the FS has no intention of fixing it and does not like the route (no NWFP required etc.). It was lucky to get through last winter and probably ounly survived because of the big snow pack, as Janis said, "You've got to get it while you can".

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tigermn

tigermn
PostTue Sep 02, 2008 12:48 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
The road has a short fuse to destruction, there is a major washout about 1/4 mi. in. the FS has no intention of fixing it and does not like the route (no NWFP required etc.). It was lucky to get through last winter and probably ounly survived because of the big snow pack, as Janis said, "You've got to get it while you can".
Hmmm.. I guess an extra 2 mile decommissioned road walk wouldn't kill me... smile.gif. I guess if they blow the whole thing up.. maybe another story.

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostTue Sep 02, 2008 1:35 pm 
Schmidt Alti-Babe wrote:
Ha! It rains harder in North Bend!
Ha! It rains harder in North Bend!
I notice Damon is smiling here, this must have been before he and I found that the trail had a lot in common with the slides at Wild Waves! I even had him sit on my lap for one (un-voluntarily of course). Thanks for being a good sport, I'll work on my balance and night vision before our next encounter. I aspire to only injure myself! crutches.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Sep 02, 2008 2:17 pm 
yukon222 wrote:
The group stayed together on the descent
So did you guys split up or did the remaining party size of 18 stay together?

yukon222

yukon222
PostTue Sep 02, 2008 2:21 pm 
Not sure what you are talking about. There were only 6 of us at the summit with 2 dogs. Met up with Mark, Yet and the Lykkens as they were still climbing to the summit (about 15 minutes below the summit). At that point, the 10 of us and dogs stayed together all the way to the TH. BarbE, EastKing, Magellan and Rdyhiker all turned back early. They had also started before the main group and we didn't hike with them at all.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Sep 02, 2008 2:25 pm 
Just thought it would be worth clarifying the group of 19 split up given this is wilderness (party size limit of 12). It could easily be read the other way.

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostTue Sep 02, 2008 2:27 pm 
yukon222 wrote:
At that point, the 10 of us and dogs stayed together all the way to the TH.
We hiked on our own the majority of the way up, prob why we didn't find the summit by 8pm. Also, the speeds in this group are so diverse that we usually find about 4-5 together in any given place at any given time. Even on the way down we only converge long enough for the trailers to catch up with the speed racers before continuing.

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostTue Sep 02, 2008 2:29 pm 
Tom wrote:
Just thought it would be worth clarifying the group of 19 split up given this is wilderness (party size limit of 12). It could easily be read the other way.
With pre-Nabers, TNABers, & late to the trail headers usually hiking separately the party size is rarely an issue.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Sep 02, 2008 3:08 pm 
I'm not sure what the rules are (I assumed dogs count but maybe not). I don't think it matters that the group hikes in separately. If the group meets up at a destination or hikes down together I think it's an issue. We were 1 over on Ed's memorial hike so I can't say I've never bent the rules. Just something to consider to the extent TNAB destinations are in wilderness.

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostTue Sep 02, 2008 3:33 pm 
This link had a fairly comprehensive list of group size regulations, click here. My belief is that we self regulate our trail travel group size, specifically because we are hikers who would like the areas we visit to be in great shape when we return next year and the years after. If the technicality of group is the issue, then maybe we split into Pre-NAB (early leavers), TNAB Lite (most likely just heading to the first lake and then out to the pub), and TNAB Vets (up and back before the rest of us get our boots on). If the question is not about the rules but wondering if we are negatively impacting the trails on which we travel, I would say that we give a great deal of respect to the wilderness we are enjoying. This trip alone had members carrying out a raft left as garbage by a fisherman and we do not mark the trail for night navigation in any way. Judging by the respectful attitude of this group, I feel that we are enjoying the wilderness areas in the way that is intended. And I think the trail damaged me more than my boots hurt it this week. The summit shots you see in TR's are about the only major convergence and they are only done when the terrain is deemed safe for such a photo and we have yet to find other hikers trying to enjoy the summit at sunset on a Thursday night. Worst case scenario we are overfeeding the mosquitoes in the Alpine Lakes region...

yukon222

yukon222
PostTue Sep 02, 2008 3:58 pm 
According to this US Forest Service website Alpine Lakes Wilderness regs, the Group Size is People + pack/saddle animals so dogs don't add in to the group total. In this trip, the main group had ZERO idea there were 5 other TNAB'ers who had left 30 to 45 minutes prior to our trailhead departure. The main group had 9 people briefly together during the initial ascent but dispersed quickly due to the different hiking speeds up the steep terrain.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Sep 02, 2008 4:18 pm 
As I have said before TNAB is not really a hiking club or group. It is a social group. There are no leaders, instruction, dues or meetings. They arrange carpools, that is all. That's my story and I'm sticking with it. hockeygrin.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Sep 02, 2008 4:30 pm 
I recall seeing language at some trailheads indicating groups larger than 12 must split into smaller groups and stay a minimum of 1/2 mile apart at all times. I think I even saw it at the Snow Lake trailhead but I could be mistaken. Good to hear TNAB does not exhibit the appearance of a large group hiking together.

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostTue Sep 02, 2008 4:35 pm 
Good thing the Pour House doesn't have a maximum cheers.gif, though even there I can't keep up! drink.gif

Yet

Yet
PostTue Sep 02, 2008 5:05 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
As I have said before TNAB is not really a hiking club or group. It is a social group. There are no leaders, instruction, dues or meetings. They arrange carpools, that is all. That's my story and I'm ticking with it. hockeygrin.gif
I don't know these people but they keep following me!!! huh.gif