Forum Index > Trip Reports > Meadowdale park
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostThu Sep 11, 2008 8:34 pm 
I noticed this thread in the trail talk section today https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7963815 Thank's captain jack for the up date. up.gif up.gif I needed a place to stretch my legs, and i've never been there so i went. I now love this park. The trail is 1.25 miles long. The best part is that it has a hill hockeygrin.gif They didn't wussify the hill with 35 switch backs either up.gif up.gif I actually broke a sweat walking up for a few minutes hockeygrin.gif For a park in a city it has a very woodsy feel.
trail
trail
trail by pass
trail by pass
Crossing the bridge, i woke the "local wild life", this startled it. With a how dare i disturb my warm sunny spot it growled at me, and began barking. I ignored it's barking and continued on. With a sniff of my butt, it calmed down, and went back to it's nap. hockeygrin.gif
Trial 2
Trial 2
Near the beach there's the typical well manicured city park
There's a unique pedstiran tunnel/creek crossing under the rail road tracks.
trail3
trail3
Along the beach i found some flowers, with some bees busily collecting pollen. Unlike previous bee shots where i used a long focal length lens. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=384823&highlight=#384823 I tried something different. I used a wide angle lens and got real close. I'm suprised that my breathing didn't disturb them. But the north american honey bee is quite tame, and usually only get agitated when you disturb there nest. So no worries about getting stung.
Bee
Bee
bee2
bee2
bee3
bee3
bee4
bee4
I find getting a clear shot of a bee in mid flight a fun challange. On the return trip i took some more pictures just for fun
flower
flower
flower2
flower2
I found this shadow projected onto this survey flag interesting huh.gif
shadow
shadow
I don't know why this is here, but my caption sums up my feelings hockeygrin.gif
Not to the Blanca lake litter bug, may your purgatory be an eternity of picking other peoples trash!
Not to the Blanca lake litter bug, may your purgatory be an eternity of picking other peoples trash!
This thing is at the trail head. Too bad it's bolted down. It looks like it might be fun to ride down the hill hockeygrin.gif
Get in I'll push
Get in I'll push
http://www1.co.snohomish.wa.us/Departments/Parks/Park_Information/Park_Directory/Regional_Parks/Meadowdale.htm

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Sep 11, 2008 8:58 pm 
Nice report and pics. up.gif I live about a mile from there. It's legal to ride mtn bikes on the trail, so you can do a nice loop that includes a stretch of the beach. I'd do this more often right from home, but having a dog has ruined my bike riding. I feel selfish leaving her home when she loves the beach so much.

captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostThu Sep 11, 2008 9:24 pm 
Hulksmash wrote:
The best part is that it has a hill hockeygrin.gif They didn't wussify the hill with 35 switch backs either up.gif up.gif I actually broke a sweat walking up for a few minutes hockeygrin.gif
I would like to claim that I can run the whole thing both ways, suuure.gif but those stairs in the middle destroy my legs coming up, then I'm all rubbery and wobbly for a few feet before getting to the upper parking lot. Really fun yesterday coming up behing the guy smoking the cigarette on the uphill portion. waah.gif dizzy.gif stun.gif
Quote:
This thing is at the trail head. Too bad it's bolted down. It looks like it might be fun to ride down the hill hockeygrin.gif
Get in I'll push
Get in I'll push
Next time you go, wave at the camera at the far end of the upper parking area,wave.gif, then say "Hi Mr. Snohomish County Sheriff", then think very carefully about your decision to remove something from the playground. hmmm.gif paranoid.gif lol.gif Why no pics of the Sound or the mountains ?

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostThu Sep 11, 2008 9:25 pm 
It seems that Lowell Riverfront Park, and Meadowdale park are equal distance from me. I've been frequenting Lowell Riverfront Park for the last year and a half, to stretch my legs when i can't get out. The problem is the bigest elevation gain there is getting in and out of my jeep huh.gif What i would like to see is that trail pushed all the way to snohomish, and link up with the centenial trail. Like that will ever happen. frown.gif I imagine i'll be frequenting meadowdale, in the winter just because of the hill.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostThu Sep 11, 2008 9:56 pm 
captain jack wrote
Quote:
Why no pics of the Sound or the mountains ?
frown.gif Cause they suck! frown.gif I attempted a beach pano, but failed to remember the wave action. There's just no way to line thing's up. Maybe if i stacked a bunch of nutrual density filters and took thirty second exposures. huh.gif No not going to try
meadowdale beach pano
meadowdale beach pano
I was impresed by the clarity of the salt water. I liked the lens affect produced by the swells. I attempted to capture it, but that just dosn't translate well to a photo. So that was a failer frown.gif
wave2
wave2
wave
wave
I found some barnacles feeding. With out an underwater housing i was forced to shoot through the water. To get a close enough shot i needed my big zoom. I don't have a ploarizer on my big zoom to cut the glare. As a consequence it was difficult to focus on as well.
Barnacles feeding
Barnacles feeding
Hey here's a gull. There's a nice reflection of it in the water, but the gull is too distant.
Gull
Gull
But that's the beauty of digital. You can try something different, even if it means taking 300 photos to get it right. You can delete 299 of them hockeygrin.gif I find i dont delet all of my failers though. It reminds me of what not to do. Hope this gives you a laugh rotf.gif

captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostThu Sep 11, 2008 10:26 pm 
lol.gif Well, at least you tried. up.gif I think this might give you another reason to go back. Besides the endless photo opportunities up and down the trail, of course. Like the trees. Did you not take any pictures of the huge stumps and nurse trees, did you miss those ? Did you not at least ponder for a minute, how big those giant trees must have been ? I bet you they would have towered to nearly the top of the canyon wall. And at low tide you can walk the beach south to that old decrepit terminal, it makes for some interesting pictures, and its probably gonna fall into the bay soon. I took my shoes off and went puddling around in the water when I was there. I almost stepped on that barnacle crusted rock in your picture, I think. Then I thought to myself " Damn , that woulda hurt if I stepped on it" lol.gif