Forum Index > Trip Reports > Denied on Daniel!! Great trip anyway, pics
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Sep 10, 2008 10:56 pm 
The plan was ambitious for me: summit Mt Daniel solo, my first such attempt, solo or otherwise. It turned out to be too much, but was a great learning experience and a fabulous trip overall. I do feel good that I turned around due to perceived danger, not due to being tired or lazy. I left the TH at 11 am Sunday, and cruised slowly the 1,500 vf up to Squaw Lake to conserve energy and preserve my precious bodily fluids (apologies to Sterling Hayden embarassedlaugh.gif ).
From there it was another sluggish pace to the PCT junction (800 vf). The first mosquitoes were encountered at the tarns along this stretch. After a short jaunt on the PCT southbound, the Peggy's Pond trail is reached. Rumor has it there is a new trail sign...
This trail was a challenge. Lots of ups and downs, rocky, small, ball-bearing-like rocks on a tilted trail above a steep cliff, it was "yikes" in a couple of short stretches. It was very hot with the sun beating down and the rocks practically glowing with heat. There were also a couple of tricky scrambling spots that needed care, especially due to the exposure. It may not be much of a challenge to scramblers, but for a marked trail it was pretty intense. It wasn't the short flat-ish path I had imagined from the maps. When I got to the Peggy's pond area and stopped to photograph the first pre-pond, the skeeters attacked all out! It was panic time, getting the repellent out while fighting for my life. Unbelievable. Luckily they stayed at the pondlet when I left, and I found a nice camp spot near to Peggy's.
I spent a quiet evening wandering the area and getting in some pictures.
Monday was the big day! I left most of my crap at camp, taking only food, water, and minimum overnite survival items. Plus camera, of course. The first thing I noticed was how cool the whole Peggy's area is, lots of small ponds, meadows, views of surrounding peaks, giant boulders, and wildlife:
I knew to take the left turn before going over the tiny ridge that leads to Hyas Creek Basin, and soon I was climbing the SE ridge of Daniel. The trail was very easy to follow, breaking out of the woods and into meadows and boulder fields.
Then I also knew to take the "grassy left" to climb up the ridge instead of the spur trail that leads to an overlook of HCB. It gets kind of scrambly after a while, but it was fun and I was totally energized. Here is a pic of the actual "trail":
The next route detail was to avoid the trail that contours to Circle lake. The above pic shows the right way to go there. From there on it was up and up, the trail always easily followable with some care, expanding views opening up practically with every step.
Then I was on top of the ridge, what an awesome place. A worthy destination all by itself, for a hiker. I made may way along the narrowest part, glad there weren't any strong, gusty winds.
I made it to the last hump before the snow traverse begins. There was a little bit of actual rock climbing to be done there, I went up that OK, but when I saw the snow traverse, I knew my day was over. Four people had just come across going down, the only people I saw all day, and they all extolled the necessity of an ice ax and crampons for safety. I had neither. I could have crossed and most likely been OK, but the alternative was death. Gulp. I'm not sure I'm ready for that kind of situation yet (if ever). And I knew that crossing one way meant I absolutely had to cross back. I was a bit disappointed, since I was less than 1,000 vf below the summit, and I felt that I easily had that much more oomph in my legs, plus it was only 12:30 or so, plenty of time. Once I got over turning around, the rest of the trip was a blast. I stayed up on the ridge all day, lounging, taking in the views, picnicking, exploring, photographing, working my way slowly back along the ridge, stopping at every interesting view or rock or dead tree.
I didn't want to get back to camp before it got cool and drove away the mosquitoes. I was even bothered some on the ridge, but only occasionally. I took so many pictures of Cathedral rock with PP beneath that it was almost funny, but now I notice I didn't upload any of them. doh.gif I'll post one in the thread later. Tuesday I figured I had extra time and energy beyond hiking out, so I explored the lower part of Hyas Creek basin. I went to the base of the first headwall, and saw the nice tarn there plus all the awesome boulder fields. I just love basins. I hung out there for three hours even though it was super windy and very cold, even at 1 pm. No mosquitoes! biggrin.gif
The hike out took 5 hours from the headwall, 2 of those just to get to Cathedral pass because of the rough trail. Today I'm somewhat sore, less than usual for that much vertical gain. Overall the hike was fantastic, and the dry weather, breezes, and generally mild temperatures made for pleasant hiking, something very rare for me when going uphill. I know there's been a plethora of TR's on this hike recently but I felt the need to do a full report anyway. I tried to choose pictures which were not merely duplicates of those recently posted.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
iHeartTheChallenge
Marnie and Justin

iHeartTheChallenge
Marnie and Justin
PostWed Sep 10, 2008 11:11 pm 
Re: Denied on Daniel!!  Great trip anyway, pics
Slugman wrote:
Great TR and very nice photos! I'm with you on the basin...I love it in there. It's like another world. By the way, my wife and I camped at that VERY same spot last week! That's the best spot at the pond...great tree coverage and a natural little bench area with fallen logs to sit and cook or relax. It snowed the whole time we were there and under those trees, we didn't get a drop of snow or water on us the entire time. Good stuff! smile.gif

Cheers, -->Justin
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostWed Sep 10, 2008 11:21 pm 
This is great. Good for you going outside your comfort zone. Many of us could use the lesson of the Slugman. "Slow down, and enjoy your surroundings."

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage
PostWed Sep 10, 2008 11:32 pm 
We love this pick of Cathedral reflected in Peggy's Pond. We agree that the SE ridge of Daniel overlooking Circle Lake and the Citadel is a worthy destination in itself.

"Forest 101: These big wood stick things are called trees. The big rocks are called mountains, and the little rocks are their babies." Elliott from Open Season
yukon222

yukon222
PostWed Sep 10, 2008 11:35 pm 
"Extra time to enjoy the area and explore". A trip can't be any better if one has time to do that. Well done. up.gif

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostWed Sep 10, 2008 11:54 pm 
Very nice trip you did Sluggo. Too bad you didn't get the summit, but knowing ones limits are key in the moutains.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Sep 10, 2008 11:57 pm 
Thanks, everyone. A few more pics: Leave no trace:
Different time, different light:

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostThu Sep 11, 2008 3:26 am 
Nice effort and very enjoyable selection of pics. I really enjoy that area too. up.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Mtn Dog
Technohiker

Mtn Dog
Technohiker
PostThu Sep 11, 2008 7:35 am 
Slugman, I totally understand your decision too, good choice. Regarding that snow traverse I've heard everything from "It's no problem in summer sun" all the way to "No way am I crossing that" from a hiker who had an iceaxe with him! For those who do cross, trekking poles are the biggest help since you can balance while you kick steps, if steps are even necessary. Glad you had fun! Peggy's Pond is a cool place to camp, isn't it?

Footprints on the sands of time will never be made sitting down.
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Sep 11, 2008 8:50 am 
Wow, what a pretty place. I've never been to Peggy's Pond area. You're a lucky slug.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
tigermn

tigermn
PostThu Sep 11, 2008 8:59 am 
Great report. Is there a picture in there somwhere (I may have missed it) of what the snow traverse looks like? That's the deal with this stuff. What for some is nothing, for others is major. Always have to take trip reports with a grain of salt/realizing who is posting them.

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostThu Sep 11, 2008 9:02 am 
Good trip report and effort! If I get there I will bring my ice axe. I suspect crampons would be a waste because of the heating of the day would soften the snow but I would bring them in case. up.gif up.gif

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostThu Sep 11, 2008 9:02 am 
I must need my eyes checked. When I read the TR title I thought it said Denali, not Daniel dizzy.gif No summit? Well, it's still a nice area and it looks like you enjoyed yourself. up.gif

Knows literally nothing
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Sep 11, 2008 9:03 am 
bikejr wrote:
Great report. Is there a picture in there somwhere (I may have missed it) of what the snow traverse looks like?
slugman wrote:
Looks like a piece of cake to me since you can use the slab/rock if you want to avoid the steeper snow.

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostThu Sep 11, 2008 9:07 am 
You stopped right where I stopped. Glad you got to enjoy the view and ridge hike biggrin.gif

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley