Forum Index > Trip Reports > The SIlliad: 8/22-8/24/08 WITH PICS!!!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst
PostMon Aug 25, 2008 3:34 pm 
Mt Olympus: The Adventures of Hephaestus and Ares August 22nd-August 24th, 2008 AKA: The SIlliad ...And lo these many years did Hephaestus (Magnum) and Ares (Mesahchie Mark) toil on Earth, not as gods, but as men, their divine powers wrested from them by the treacherous and devious Xena, warrior princess. Confronted with their fragile, ephemeral state, the two gods, but shadows of their former selves, finally decided they must work together to regain their godly status by petitioning Father Zeus in person. To do so, they would have to engage in a perilous journey to climb Mount Olympus, Home of the Gods. The fallen gods arose early one fine morning (Fri 8/22) and purchased passage across the inland sea with many pieces of silver. From the western shore, they journeyed north and around the great peninsula to arrive at the much-storied River Styx (Hoh River - Olympic National Park). More pieces of silver were exchanged to enter the sacred mountain; they were to witness only two risings of the moon. They could not set one foot forth before Sisyphus (a park ranger) accosted the travelers, warning them that their goal was too lofty, and that though they may gaze upon the summit, they will be ultimately denied access (moat on the summit block). But Hephaestus and Ares had come too far – they could not turn back now. They placed large, bulky bundles on their backs and trundled off to the east, following a path beside the river. An arduous nine hour, 17.5 mile trek (to Glacier Meadows) ensued.
The Adventure Begins!
The Adventure Begins!
Hoh River
Hoh River
Big Log
Big Log
High Hoh Bridge
High Hoh Bridge
Elk Lake Emergency Shelter-Not!
Elk Lake Emergency Shelter-Not!
'Nuf Said
'Nuf Said
Trail Washout
Trail Washout
The next morning (Sat 8/23), still groggy from the previous day's exertions, the weary pair set out from camp for the ice-clad summit of Mt Olympus. The first obstacle was fording the fractured river of ice (lower Blue Glacier). Next, they gained serious elevation (to Snow Dome) by following the fresh prints of other mortal travelers. The tracks then lead to a gap (Crystal Pass), which opened onto to the broad upper glacier.
Blue Glacier First Sight
Blue Glacier First Sight
Glacier Ford
Glacier Ford
Crevasses
Crevasses
Icy!
Icy!
Climbing Snow Dome
Climbing Snow Dome
Summit in Sight
Summit in Sight
Bridge to Crystal Pass
Bridge to Crystal Pass
Looking Back
Looking Back
Upper Blue
Upper Blue
The tracks lead to the foot of a rocky knob (Mid Peak). The two adventurers traversed this article to the north, at which point they could finally view the summit up close. It was a busy day on Mount Olympus - it was literally crawling with human-like forms (two parties - five climbers total).
Mid Peak Approach
Mid Peak Approach
Alpine Jungle Gym
Alpine Jungle Gym
Hephaestus and Ares, their goal in sight, found a way onto the summit block despite the moat, and followed a scrambling route southward on the east side. They chose to climb a short section featuring a large, solid flake to gain the summit ridge. Minutes later, they were atop Mt Olympus - Home at last!
Magnum Ready to Rock'n'Roll
Magnum Ready to Rock'n'Roll
The Crux
The Crux
Side View From Crux
Side View From Crux
Rainier!
Rainier!
Strait of Juan de Fuca
Strait of Juan de Fuca
Baker/Shuksan
Baker/Shuksan
Rappel From Summit
Rappel From Summit
The Flake
The Flake
Magnum Stands Alone
Magnum Stands Alone
Moat
Moat
Heading Back
Heading Back
Good-Bye Olympus
Good-Bye Olympus
Light and Cloud
Light and Cloud
Kinda Blue
Kinda Blue
Blue Glacier Majesty
Blue Glacier Majesty
No one knows what exactly happened after Hephaestus and Ares reached the summit of Olympus. Some say their powers were instantly returned, and that they disappeared into the ether to continue their selfish ends. Others tell a darker, more believable tale, in which Zeus, though duly impressed with their efforts, greeted his sons and agreed to return their immortality, but only once they had left the realm as mortals. Rumor has it that the exit out was a wet, miserable experience featuring endless rainfall and literally miles and miles of mud puddles, while Zeus' mocking, maddening laughter could be heard in the distance roar of a chainsaw...

Cheers, Mesahchie Mark
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Aug 25, 2008 3:42 pm 
I just got the video of you guys courtesy of Marta clown.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
yukon222

yukon222
PostMon Aug 25, 2008 3:42 pm 
ykm.gif rotf.gif rocker.gif No need for pictures. I have the scenes all in my mind now. Excellent TR!! up.gif

Xena
Warrior Princess

Xena
Warrior Princess
PostMon Aug 25, 2008 3:47 pm 
Re: Mt Olympus:  The Adventures of Hephaestus and Ares 8/22-8/24
Ares wrote:
...And lo these many years did Hephaestus (Magnum) and Ares (Mesahchie Mark) toil on Earth, not as gods, but as men, their divine powers wrested from them by the treacherous and devious Xena, warrior princess.
Ah... those were fun times!
Ares wrote:
No one knows what exactly happened after Hephaestus and Ares reached the summit of Olympus. Some say their powers were instantly returned, and that they disappeared into the ether to continue their selfish ends. Others tell a darker, more believable tale, in which Zeus, though duly impressed with their efforts, greeted his sons and agreed to return their immortality, but only once they had left the realm as mortals. Rumor has it that the exit out was a wet, miserable experience featuring endless rainfall and literally miles and miles of mud puddles, while Zeus' mocking, maddening laughter could be heard in the distance roar of a chainsaw...
Just chatted with Zeus on the phone. 'Twas definitely the latter! lol.gif naughty.gif

Kill 'em all! Ai ai ai ai ai ai!!!!!
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon Aug 25, 2008 3:50 pm 
Liking the mythos! Looking forward to pics...

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst
PostMon Aug 25, 2008 4:24 pm 
Re: Mt Olympus:  The Adventures of Hephaestus and Ares 8/22-8/24
Xena wrote:
Ares wrote:
...And lo these many years did Hephaestus (Magnum) and Ares (Mesahchie Mark) toil on Earth, not as gods, but as men, their divine powers wrested from them by the treacherous and devious Xena, warrior princess.
Ah... those were fun times!
Ack! I thought you might be lurking nearby. There will be time for vengeance!...but not now. I'm still drying my gear out. shakehead.gif dizzy.gif -Mark (Ares)

Cheers, Mesahchie Mark
huron

huron
PostMon Aug 25, 2008 5:12 pm 
Re: Mt Olympus: The Adventures of Hephaestus and Ares 8/22-
Mesahchie Mark wrote:
I'm still drying my gear out.
Every last thing in my pack was wet. Even some things that were inside ziplocks and plastic bags! Worth every soggy step though.
Mt. Olympus Blue Glacier
Mt. Olympus Blue Glacier
horn slingers
horn slingers
We is poached ur peak!
We is poached ur peak!
Summit scramble
Summit scramble
moat rap
moat rap
Decending Snow Dome
Decending Snow Dome
Ascending Blue Glacier
Ascending Blue Glacier

peltoms

peltoms
PostMon Aug 25, 2008 5:14 pm 
What is this Valhalla and Olympus reports in the same day how do I know which realm of the gods should be south?. wink.gif Awesome report.

North Cascade Glacier Climate Project: http://www.nichols.edu/departments/glacier/
Yet

Yet
PostMon Aug 25, 2008 5:28 pm 
Hey Xena! My man can beat up your man. Oh. That's right. You don't have one! embarassedlaugh.gif

Don

Don
PostMon Aug 25, 2008 5:31 pm 
Awesome TR Mark! What a great literary presentation! Isn't that flake awesome? The scramble on the east side summit block is not necessarily loose, but not solid either. Then you come to that flake to gain the summit and it is solid as can be - a fun move!

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Aug 25, 2008 5:34 pm 
You have definitely raised the bar on trip report composition. I shall endeavor in the future to do better.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Xena
Warrior Princess

Xena
Warrior Princess
PostMon Aug 25, 2008 8:24 pm 
Re: Mt Olympus: The Adventures of Hephaestus and Ares 8/22-
Ares wrote:
Ack! I thought you might be lurking nearby. There will be time for vengeance!...but not now. I'm still drying my gear out. shakehead.gif dizzy.gif
Silly man! That's what you get for using inferior equipment. My leathers are waterproof and do not need drying out, ever! Still, your feat of climbing Mt. Olympus is a rather mighty accomplishment, if a bit misguided (mostly because you climbed the wrong Mt. Olympus... might wanna try the one in Greece... lol.gif ).

Kill 'em all! Ai ai ai ai ai ai!!!!!
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostMon Aug 25, 2008 8:38 pm 
A Herculean effort, indeed. up.gif

Knows literally nothing
goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostMon Aug 25, 2008 9:25 pm 
You say the Gods climbed Olympus and hiked out to the TH in one day? I say, "The Gods must be Crazy." dizzy.gif lol.gif Awesome TR guys. The pictures bring back a lot of memories. WOW, thanks!!

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostMon Aug 25, 2008 9:27 pm 
Yet, you should do this with them the next time. I know you can! biggrin.gif

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel