Forum Index > Trip Reports > Greider Lakes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Sep 09, 2008 9:55 pm 
After talking with the Hulkster I was going to try meeting him at Blanca lake. After some reflection I figured that I should take things a little slower so I decided to head back into the Spada lake area and bag the two Greider lakes. I left my car at 15:00 and made the first Greider lake an hour later. One of the things I noticed was how much labor was put into this trail. Goodness, at nearly every steep switch back there were stair steps made with cedar wrapping around each step.... Some of them were very steep as well.
Lots of man hours on this stuff
When I got to the lower lake I found this steel bridge at the outlet. Who carried that up there? Mr. helicopter?
Lower Greider outlet bridge
Lower Greider outlet bridge
Steel bridge at lower Greider
Steel bridge at lower Greider
The lower lake was the nicer of the two I thought.
Lower Greider
Lower Greider
Lower Greider
Lower Greider
The trail to the upper lake is a half mile and mostly level. Once there you drop into the lake.
Upper Greider
Upper Greider
Upper Greider
Upper Greider
Upper Greider outlet
Upper Greider outlet
Greider lake Bozo
Greider lake Bozo
At each lake I found what looked seriously like rafts.... Or tent platforms.... Im not sure which. No other camps sites had them, that;s why I thought rafts....
Tent platform at Upper Greider???
Tent platform at Upper Greider???
Tent platform at lower Greider???
On the way out the sun in the trees was very nice....
Sunlight in the trees
Sunlight in the trees
Sunlight in the trees
Sunlight in the trees
Sunlight in the trees
Sunlight in the trees
It was a very nice day hike overall. I was hoping for better light while there, but the haze was turbo bummin... It was worth a try.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostTue Sep 09, 2008 10:00 pm 
Thanks for the TR! Those are some weird structures you found. confused.gif I dragged my parents up there a few years ago. Only made it to Lower Greider before the heat and the bugs chased us off, though.

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Sep 09, 2008 10:05 pm 
Unless this work was done during the depression, those lakes were some serious money drain for some agency....... All the trail work. That steel bridge. Those tent platforms/rafts smelled of creosote big time... I hope they never made it into the lakes.....

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostTue Sep 09, 2008 10:08 pm 
There is one campsite at Boulder with a platform like that too. Its kind of up and over the top of the hill, then down to the left. It's in an area that could be kind of marshy, thats why I thought they put it there.

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostTue Sep 09, 2008 10:09 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Those tent platforms come with bottles of wine!!!! WOW, I can see that lake getting very busy very fast!!!!!

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Sep 09, 2008 10:41 pm 
It was empty...... hockeygrin.gif

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostWed Sep 10, 2008 4:48 am 
Don't tell me you didn't bring a raft and rod! smackbum.gif

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostWed Sep 10, 2008 6:49 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Unless this work was done during the depression, those lakes were some serious money drain for some agency....... All the trail work. That steel bridge. Those tent platforms/rafts smelled of creosote big time... I hope they never made it into the lakes.....
From what I encountered at DNR's dog and pony show, that's still a problem. The people who manage the trails and campsites are from the "all or nothing" school of facilities development. There was no acceptance of the "more for less" concept, at all, either on the quality of facilities or on getting help with construction and maintenance. If any of you elect to offer suggestions to DNR's Sustainable Recreation Work Group - jana.greer@dnr.wa.gov - you might add the "okay is good enough" or "something is better than nothing" idea at the same time.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Sep 10, 2008 7:03 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Did you see any porta potties? Note large green blob in this pic from July of 2000. Might be what they put them on?

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Sep 10, 2008 7:57 am 
I didnt see anything like that Tom. I did see the toilet signs at each lake, but since I didnt need them I didnt me-an-der over to them to see them.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Sep 10, 2008 8:07 am 
You couldn't have missed it. It was in every shot I took of the lower lake. Note the location. Was that the location of the platform?

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Sep 10, 2008 8:13 am 
Tom, here is the best pic I have of what looks to me to be the same area you're photo shows the porta potty. It looks in your photo like the PP is sitting on that platform. What I noticed is that almost directly across from that camp site was a relatively new toilet sign screwed into a tree pointing away from that camp site. Maybe they were using PP's until they made the toilets? Must have helicopter'd them in and out.
Lower Greider
Lower Greider

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostWed Sep 10, 2008 8:36 am 
Same spot. See the white tree trunks? They don't show up as well in Tom's pic, but they're there.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostWed Sep 10, 2008 2:20 pm 
WOW! I have to admit it's been a few years since i last visited Grider lake's. The last time i was there it was only primitive camp sites, and chem toilet hauled in and out by helicopter. It angers me even more that much time and effort in to "improvements" just to abandon later. It makes no sense

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostWed Sep 10, 2008 3:32 pm 
Look at this damned bridge! rant.gif
The epitome of DNR's recreational hiking philosophy. Never mind the steel girder support, for a bridge that crosses a stream that's eight feet wide, carrying a trail that goes nowhere but Upper Greider Lake. Look at those handrail supports! What were they thinking? Contrast that with the "bridges" that carry thousands of people across the West Fork Foss on the Forest Service's Foss Lakes Trail.
Log bridge to gravel bar in West Fork Foss River
Log bridge to gravel bar in West Fork Foss River
Log bridge over West Fork Foss River
Log bridge over West Fork Foss River
Rich Baldwin photos If we can, while DNR is in this Sustainable Recreation mode, we need to try to convince them that they can do a better job of serving us with their limited dollars by not making individual projects so ambitious.