Forum Index > Trip Reports > Top, Pear, Peach Lakes & Bears
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostMon Sep 08, 2008 5:37 pm 
Left the Top Lake TH up the Little Wenatchee at 7:00 and cruised up the trail, with a perfect combination of grade and distance....Cruised, that is, until I met company at the big open swath just before the descent to Top Lake.
It's bear time.
It's bear time.
What are YOU looking at?
What are YOU looking at?
I only spotted the smaller fellow browsing up above when the bigger mom (?) appeared crashing downhill about 20 yards out from me. I started yelling and waving with no effect. I now had one bear above the trail and the other below in a standoff. This was the only area around that had any ripe berries, so they were reluctant to leave. Finally, the lower bear descended a bit more and I managed to get the other guy to move up into the woods. I made haste and dropped to Top, hit the PCT,
GP, Indian Head, and East Cady Ridge
GP, Indian Head, and East Cady Ridge
and arrived at nearby Pear.
Pear Lake
Pear Lake
I heard there was a "route" to Pear over the ridge saddle. What I found was steep wet moss shakehead.gif on the Pear side but easier going down to Peach.
Dropping down to Peach Lake
Dropping down to Peach Lake
Peach Lake and Peach/Pear Ridge
Peach Lake and Peach/Pear Ridge
Peach Lake and Fortune Mt.
Peach Lake and Fortune Mt.
I brush-bashed around the upper end and enjoyed a bug-free lunch at the lower end. Now to return was a different story. I took a look at a a trail dropping down from the lake but it quickly disappeared below in cliffy stuff. Wishing to avoid the wet mossy descent back to Pear I made a poor decision banghead.gif in following another trace that appeared as if it would go around the butt end of the ridge. DON'T do this! Mindful of the wicked cliffs hairy.gif below I finally threaded some smallish benches back to the Pear outlet and headed back to Top. My off-trail adventure behind me and knowing I was just 2 hours from the TH, I enjoyed the afternoon sun at Top "Pond." It really is a beautiful serene pond without the glitz of a high-mountain lake. peace.gif Think dragonflies, reeds and grassy banks.
Top Lake
Top Lake
Finally, it was time to climb the "bump" out of Top, arriving at the meadow with my whistle and yells, lest I startle any more bears.
Labyrinth and Jove
Labyrinth and Jove
A long day hink.gif but a fine trail for access to a nice area. A return in a couple weeks might be in order. up.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bad Dog

Bad Dog
PostMon Sep 08, 2008 5:41 pm 
What a treat to see a bear. Especially a good, honest, hardworking bear (unlike those rogues in the Sierras!!!).

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostThu Sep 11, 2008 8:04 pm 
Wenatchee Pass
Wenatchee Pass
Imagine if the railroad and present-day "Stevens Pass" had been laid through here, one of the East-West passages of the Wenatchi tribe. PCT drops through the low point coming off Grizzly Peak above Heather Lake.

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Sep 11, 2008 8:42 pm 
Great pics GOG. I need to get into this area.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Sep 11, 2008 8:53 pm 
Thanks for the pics. For lakes in the 100 hikes books you don't see many reports. Do the shorelines look like they get much visitation?

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostThu Sep 11, 2008 9:20 pm 
Pear Lake receives a lot of traffic, being at the junction of the PCT and the Meadow Creek Trail. Peach, however, has no official, nor really any kind of trail. rolleyes.gif Typically, one would expect "ye olde fisherman's trail" around a lake. I could only discern bits and pieces around Peach from years gone by. In other words, some brush bashin' on the upper end.

Movenhike
\m/..mmmmetal\m/

Movenhike
\m/..mmmmetal\m/
PostSun Sep 14, 2008 11:03 am 
Nice, I miss home up.gif

"Make it your Friend" -John Bull