Forum Index > Trip Reports > Skyline Lake
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostMon Sep 08, 2008 10:52 pm 
Rarely seen by many hikers except under snowfall, this is one very pretty lake ( I did thsi as a snowshoe event back in late 1970's). The lake area was very mosquito shrouded, yesterday (09.07.08). You can find the TH about 400 feet south of the PCT sign-in that goes northwardly toward Valhalla Lake on the west side of US 2, Stevens Pass. There is no sign; follow the (only) road that weaves around some bunkhouses and such then gets busy ascending in the most direct route possible. What conveyence can negotiate this steep road? The route is eroded, filled in places with loose, broken rock that can cut a dog's paw. Returning downward, and I mean "downward", that loose road cover becomes like hiking on jaggged marbles. Nasty! There is the old trail, cut this and that way by the winding roadbed. That trail looks even nastier than the road! There appears to be cable laid under the road with steel boxes for access. There is an intermittent relay structure with appropriate warnings to not touch. The huffing and puffing up the road means you are likely to miss sight of the not obvious turn off that is an old roadbed cum trail. We found it on our way back down from the terminous, a large, industrial structure with squealing and other odd noises that tell you that you ought not be there. The construction is recent and there is plenty of evidence that the work crews did not clean up as well as they should....plastic spring water bottles, etc. The view is to the NNE with plenty of wonderment and more questions of what you are actually viewing. The obvious is there, too. Finding the mysterious Skyline Lake was a God-send for no other reason than we had just enough time to make the detour and see the place. The distance from road to lake is about 1000 feet or so, possibly a little more.
Aster foliaceus
Aster foliaceus
Solidago canadensis & butterfly
Solidago canadensis & butterfly
Sorbus sitchenensis
Sorbus sitchenensis
Whata Drag Up This
Whata Drag Up This
Late snow melt kept alpine blueberries under snow so late that few flowers managed to go to fruit.  New fruit is still green; it should be ripe by mid-August!
Late snow melt kept alpine blueberries under snow so late that few flowers managed to go to fruit. New fruit is still green; it should be ripe by mid-August!
Aksam
Aksam
Lupinus arcticus
Lupinus arcticus
Mystery relay.  Cables strung all the way to top but underground with frequent, metal access panels in steep sloping "road".  Construction must have been via air support.
Mystery relay. Cables strung all the way to top but underground with frequent, metal access panels in steep sloping "road". Construction must have been via air support.
Small Burn Scar
Small Burn Scar
At the very tippy top of the steep road is this facility.  Microwave for iPhones?
At the very tippy top of the steep road is this facility. Microwave for iPhones?
Could this be Fortress Mountain?
Could this be Fortress Mountain?
Way Above Stevens Pass
Way Above Stevens Pass
Unknown mountains, possibly upper Entiat area.
Unknown mountains, possibly upper Entiat area.
Nason Ridge
Nason Ridge
Sabah wonders why she is so alert and Aksam is catching "zzz's"
Sabah wonders why she is so alert and Aksam is catching "zzz's"
Catch A Snooze Here With Aksam
Catch A Snooze Here With Aksam
Sabah Too Many Mtns Not Enough Time
Sabah Too Many Mtns Not Enough Time
Waking up is so hard to do!
Waking up is so hard to do!
There's This Weird Noise
There's This Weird Noise
Luetkea pectinata; Partridgefoot
Luetkea pectinata; Partridgefoot
CellPhonus Towerous HmLandiSecurious
CellPhonus Towerous HmLandiSecurious
View For Sore Eyes To South
View For Sore Eyes To South
Skyline Lake Sculpture
Skyline Lake Sculpture
Skyline Lake Meadow
Skyline Lake Meadow
Only God Could MakeT his
Only God Could MakeT his
Skyline Lake
Skyline Lake
Last Sunlight, Skyline Lake.
Last Sunlight, Skyline Lake.
Afternoon Meets Evening Shadows
Afternoon Meets Evening Shadows
Skyline Lake Reflections
Skyline Lake Reflections
Last Light
Last Light
Alpine Sundown
Alpine Sundown
Skyline Lake
Skyline Lake
Skyline Lake, Far Rocks
Skyline Lake, Far Rocks
Pretty, But Oh Them Mosquitos!
Pretty, But Oh Them Mosquitos!
Sabah At Skyline Lake
Sabah At Skyline Lake
Skyline Lake Evening Mirror
Skyline Lake Evening Mirror
Skyline Lake Evening Reflection
Skyline Lake Evening Reflection
Solitude At Skyline Lake
Solitude At Skyline Lake
Der Shadow Without Der Man
Der Shadow Without Der Man
The Darning Pin Peakous Towerous
The Darning Pin Peakous Towerous
Nasty Road, Worse Trail
Nasty Road, Worse Trail
Aksam Resting Weary Feet
Aksam Resting Weary Feet
The critter barely distracts Sabah from the tiredness
The critter barely distracts Sabah from the tiredness
With Stealth, Found This Penstemon
With Stealth, Found This Penstemon
Aksam & Sabah
Aksam & Sabah
Penstemon serrulatus
Penstemon serrulatus
Near Sunset
Near Sunset
Indian Paintbrush
Indian Paintbrush
Aster foliaceus
Aster foliaceus
Anaphalis margaritacea & Asters
Anaphalis margaritacea & Asters
Sunset Sails The Sky
Sunset Sails The Sky
Sunset Moon
Sunset Moon
Final Shot of Weekend
Final Shot of Weekend
A couple and dog were exiting with fishing gear. Indeed, plenty of evidence that there are fish feeding on the abundance of mosquitos. We were lucky to catch the last sun at the lake...making for interesting photos between swats at biting critters. The descent was unremarkable, thank goodness! We slid and pitched down the homely road, resting to take in the beautiful evening light and sunset. Round trip was 3 hours for this fellow and two dogs; two of us recoverying from July surgery. Probably more than I should have tackled and I truly enjoyed learning that I can recover! Boots up for September! Distance is supposed to be 3 miles round trip. I guess we covered about 3.5 plus miles and did get that view, odd noises and all!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostMon Sep 08, 2008 11:42 pm 
Great pics and report, but where is the update on blueberries/huckleberries? smile.gif That is a prime area to browse your way to blue fingered heaven. The upper cell tower went in about 3 years ago with added "stuff" added the past 2 years. The first cabin/tower you came too with the odd noises has been been there for at least 40 years with the new addition going up in the last 5 years. The weird noises you heard are mostly coming from the new addition. Don't stand there too long or you will get microwaved. I used to drive that road with my 4x4 to the lake way back when. Fish get winter killed, so surprised you saw fish jumping in there as the lake is very shallow. There are some cool caves/rocks to explore just above the lake to the west in what is called the Rock Garden. There was a cool cabin to camp in to the west of the lake too that's all but gone now. I have 3 geocaches up there that not too many have done. This area is mobbed in the winter, but doesn't see too many people in the summer. Hike on over to Tye Lake and catch a bucket load of skinny brookies. You can catch them on a bare hook!

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostTue Sep 09, 2008 1:30 am 
Welcome back, SB. Beautiful pics, lovely destination ........ but what a crappy choice of "trail" for your first time out. dizzy.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostTue Sep 09, 2008 9:04 am 
The noises were coming from the "lean-too" metal building at the upper tower. We hung out for a short time and at distance from the frying waves. Pups thought the noises facinating. Now...how the heck did a 4 x 4 get up that road?! Maybe it was more reasonable back a few decades? If anyone knows profiles of the tall mountains north of Stevens, well north of Lake Wenatchee, take a look at photos and give a try on ID! Figured that with more time a look around the far end of Skyline Lake would yield interesting things...so, maybe in the future I can explore and find a cave or two and the rock gardens! I like that sort of thing....a lot! Those berries...what did develop are few and hard and green (Vaccinium deliciousa); the bigger bushes had some...the red to magenta to purple berries. Those shrubs have frost burn. Sure was and is a short summer...2008. Now, if we could transfer some of it to Arctic and keeping ice cover for the polar bears! BTW, our "first" roving job was on Saturday. I'll add some photos to an existing thread for that...the much frequented Barclay Lake Trail. My legs are aching but will get stronger for the wear and tear; ditto the pups. We all had not seen trail dust and mud since June 15. Love the comments about fishing. Interesting stuff! Highline Lakers spreading fish to Skyline Lake? Yes, the lake appears quite shallow.