Previous :: Next Topic
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostWed Sep 10, 2008 5:43 pm 
Sign
Sign
When the news that Fs 63 was reopened i new i had to go. At first the plan was to do W cady to benchmark mtn. It was something i've wanted to do for some time. But i also wanted to overnight at Blanca lake. At the last minute is chose Blanca. On top of overnight gear, i decide to pack a raft as well. Do some fishing, and easy route to the north end of the lake up.gif I arrived at the trail head just after 10am. At first my pack didn't seem that heavy. But after the last winter's blow downs it felt like a refrigirator loaded with lead bricks.
trail 4
trail 4
trail 3
trail 3
I've included a pic from a previous post for scale
The good news. The smaller ones have been removed, or limbed, this makes it easier to navigate. But still the monsters remain. They can be a challange to scramble over. The impact crater from one has made a nice trail. It's probably a good thing Backpacker Joe changed his plans. I imagine scrambling over these would not be easy on mending ribs On the trip up, i was passed by a day hiker, like i was standing still. With my over loaded pack, i wasn't breaking any speed records. hockeygrin.gif Still i huffed and puffed up the trail like a overloaded steam locamotive.
trail 2
trail 2
The Trail
The Trail
face
face
glacier peak
glacier peak
Four and a half hours later i reached vergin lake. This was a relief Blanca is all down hill from here.
virgin lake
virgin lake
virgin lake 2
virgin lake 2
This is the cleanest i've ever seen vergin lake. This "lake" is just a permenant snow melt pool. There's no outlet or inlet. I would think twice before drinking from this stagnant pond, even if it was filtered, treated with iodine, and boiled. Still i didn't break any speed records traveling the section from vergin lake, to Blanca. I spend an additional hour on this section.
Blanca1
Blanca1
Once i reached the shore, i inflated my raft, and "cooked" some lunch. Ummm. Mountian House Rasberry Crumble. Now i not a huge fan of freeze dried food. But this stuff is good! I says it seves four. Good thing i was solo, cause there would have been a fight, if i had to share.
shoe shot
shoe shot
One raft, about $40 plus pain and agony of packing it. Floating in a lake with this view...priceless hockeygrin.gif Now, the lumisant quality of the water must been seen to be believed. No photo can capture the three dementional quality. It was as if, someone placed enourmous emrald green flood lights at the bottom of the lake.
one bedroom condo with a view
one bedroom condo with a view
There was a couple on the other side of the outlet, who had there tent pitched. Around six pm the packed up and left. About a half hour later, i heard a sound that at first i though was a frog. I realized, it was not a frog. It was something like a cross between a weeze and a bark.
Trouble3
Trouble3
Trouble2
Trouble2
Trouble
Trouble
Here's the falls on the north end of the lake zoomed in
Falls
Falls
Scrooge, i think i read something about wanting a zoomed in photo of columbia glacier.
columbia glacier
columbia glacier
At dusk i settled in to my tent
Sunset at Blanca
Sunset at Blanca
Around 11pm i was visited by the otter again. I could see the silouett of his body undulated like a slinky, in the light from my lantern. Curious little guy. Suddenly he darted back into the lake. A few minutes later, i heard voices. A pair of climbers, had traversed the east ridge of the lake, and down climbed via columbia glacier. I found it entertaining to watch them cross the outlet via moon light and head lamps. One of them made it accross with out getting wet. The other did not. Since i was up i decided to see if i could get a photo with moon light only.
night at blanca
night at blanca
This is a thirty second exposure. The only way i can get a longer exposure is with a remote timer. I settled back to my tent. I didn't sleep well. I could not find a good position for my head. Still in search of a decent camp pillow. frown.gif Dawn. I crawled out of my tent, to find a deflated raft, with muddy otter paw prints all over it. down.gif It was no use to me now. I packed it up. Yea! cold wet vinyl down.gif I had a descision to make, scramble around the the lake, or pack my overload out before the heat of the day. I chose pack out. Here's my morning parting photo
departing blanca
departing blanca
The trip up to virgin lake only took fourty five minutes. This was good time with that load. I continued down from here with out takeing a break. A few switch backs down from the top i smelled smoke. Then i saw this mess
unattended fire
unattended fire
An unattended fire! With pastic bags, containg food! I used all of my drinking water snuffing it out. Then i smothered it the best i could. I picked out the trash to pack out. With not being able do anything else, i continued down the trail. Then i found more trash.
trail trash
trail trash
Now hulk angry. Assuming i was not far behind the litter bugs i started to run down the trail. There was trail of trash left behing them. I stoped only to pick up more of there trash. Just before reaching the trail head, i head a car start, and leave. At the trail head there was more trash left on the gorund mad.gif It only took me thirty minutes after putting out the fire to reach the trail head. I have a few choice words for these litter bugs!

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Sep 10, 2008 6:03 pm 
Great report Hulkster. Nice pics too. Damn, litter bugs in the out of doors SUX! Thanks for picking the stuff up. It would have been nice to confront them. Idiots leaving a fire going. When I got to the trail head yesterday (yes I got there THEN decided to do the Greiders lol.gif ) there was a mid eighties brown Toyota short bed 4x2 truck, a red Ford Ranger extra cab short bed with a dog carrier in the bed, an early 2000's Toyota extra cab short bed Tundra and a white two door Suzuki side kick in the parking lot. It must have been one of those they were driving. Bastards.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Trevor

Trevor
PostWed Sep 10, 2008 6:10 pm 
Thanks for the report! The idiocy that permits leaving garbage in the outdoors is also the same idiocy that permits eating packaged country-fried steak.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostWed Sep 10, 2008 6:12 pm 
How did you miss the black jeep hockeygrin.gif I don't remember the mid eighty brown toyota. The tundra, ranger, and sidekick were there when i parked there. The only car left was the sidekick when i retuned to the TH. They were camped above virgin lake.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
run4cache

run4cache
PostWed Sep 10, 2008 6:31 pm 
It was fun seeing you there when we crossed the stream. As we were hiking out (around midnight) we came across the people who left the trash. They had a tent set up in the middle of the trail. They also had newspaper strewn along the trail. down.gif Great photos!

run4cache

run4cache
PostWed Sep 10, 2008 6:33 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Great report Hulkster. Nice pics too. Damn, litter bugs in the out of doors SUX! Thanks for picking the stuff up. It would have been nice to confront them. Idiots leaving a fire going. When I got to the trail head yesterday (yes I got there THEN decided to do the Greiders lol.gif ) there was a mid eighties brown Toyota short bed 4x2 truck, a red Ford Ranger extra cab short bed with a dog carrier in the bed, an early 2000's Toyota extra cab short bed Tundra and a white two door Suzuki side kick in the parking lot. It must have been one of those they were driving. Bastards.
The Ranger was mine (with the dog carrier for Kona), so that eliminates one more vehicle.

wolfs

wolfs
PostWed Sep 10, 2008 6:35 pm 
Nice otter! Seeing an otter up at Tuck Lake once, and actually swimming around while it was sharing the lake with me, is one of my most memorable backcountry experiences ever. I actually saw panicky fish swim by me, the otter was pretty much putting the fear in every fish in that lake. They were probably hatchery fish, not used to that kind of real-world test of their survival skills.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostWed Sep 10, 2008 6:37 pm 
The trash is all gone now. Except for one piece, it might have been used for TP. No touchy.

touron

touron
PostWed Sep 10, 2008 6:43 pm 
Nice otter pictures! up.gif up.gif up.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostWed Sep 10, 2008 7:01 pm 
Well. The mid eightys brown toyota must have belonged to the day hiker who passed me. I had camp set up by the time he returned from his scramble up by the glacier. He left before the couple who camped on the other side of the outlet. The couple who camped on the other side of the outlet, simply moved up my virgin lake. No doubt because of a otter problem hockeygrin.gif They had the side kick. I know that because, it was the only other car left when i returned to the trail head. So when run4cache returned to his car. There should have been a red ranger, a side kick, a black jeep, and a tundra, if no one else parked there. Through elimination, that leaves the owner of the tundra as the litter bug. If no one else parked there and hiked up.

captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostWed Sep 10, 2008 7:08 pm 
hairy.gif " Killer Otters ate my Raft " hairy.gif Now just think about how much fun it would have been if they chewed on it while you were exploring the glacier. hmmm.gif You could have been stuck on the north side with a pile of limp vinyl. suuure.gif I also packed garbage out from that trail. Sure glad they reopened the road. shakehead.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Sep 10, 2008 7:17 pm 
DOH! Oh damn I forgot the black TJ. Sorry.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostWed Sep 10, 2008 7:54 pm 
Thanks, Hulk. Your telephoto of the Columbia Glacier puts still a different twist on what I thought I saw.
columbia glacier
columbia glacier
In the first pic I saw (Drewcoll's non-teleohoto), the two dark patches looked like bare rock showing through, and I got all excited thinking that the Columbia Glacier was melting away, soon to be nothing but a snowfield. Then Drew posted a semi-telephoto of the glacier (in response to my request) and I decided that both splotches were avalanche debris (which would actually insulate the glacier a little bit. Your pic clearly shows that the splotch in the middle is in fact a plume of avalanche debris, but that the dark area on the right is actually a talus slope, with the snow covered glacier at the bottom and a bank of last winter's snow remaining at the top. ........ An in between sort of signal. Then, after getting your pic, I noticed that Jordan had also made a trip to Blanca, and took this shot of the glacier.
ColumbiaGlacier.09-08.Jordan
ColumbiaGlacier.09-08.Jordan
That shows that the glacier's terminus (out of view in pics from across the lake) is bare of last winter's snow, but that the rest of the glacier remains snow covered. Probably a positive year for mass balance, although, as peltoms has indicated, the long term trend is towards extinction. frown.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Flower Sniffer
Sniffer of flowers

Flower Sniffer
Sniffer of flowers
PostWed Sep 10, 2008 8:08 pm 
Great pictures! The otter is too cute. Sorry he ate your boat. I floated Blanca several years ago. What an awesome place! Too bad about the nasty old litter bugs. ARG! Thanks for picking up their mess. You rock!

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Sep 10, 2008 8:32 pm 
Good job putting out the fire and carting out the trash. Two thumbs way up! up.gif up.gif