Forum Index > Trip Reports > Day Hikes in Grand Teton National Park 8/26-31/08
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
silly_traveler
~ roaming ~

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~
PostThu Sep 11, 2008 1:21 am 
We spent 6 days in the Tetons and camped at spacious campsite #28 at South Jenny Lake Campground. There are 50 tent sites at this CG and they are usually full by 11am-ish. 8/26 - Surprise Lake and Amphitheater Lake - 10 miles RT This is a nice hike, but steep! The first mile is practically flat but then it goes up and up and up after that! The view is ok along the way, but the lakes are really beautiful. It is chilly up there, Amphitheater is at ~ 9700 ft. eek.gif
sign
sign
Surprise Lake
Surprise Lake
Surprise Lake
Surprise Lake
sign
sign
Amphitheater Lake
Amphitheater Lake
Grand Teton National Park
Grand Teton National Park
cheese!
cheese!
8/27 - String, Leigh, Bearpaw, and Trapper Lakes - 10 miles RT We decided to do a flat-ish hike today to give the knees some break smile.gif
almost Trapper
almost Trapper
Trapper Lake
Trapper Lake
Trapper Lake
Trapper Lake
Trapper Lake
Trapper Lake
8/28 - Hermitage Point - 10 miles lollilop This hike is also flat-ish. It goes out to an undeveloped peninsula on Jackson Lake. Really nice and scenic walk in the woods and along the lake.
sign
sign
lunch spot
lunch spot
on the way back
on the way back
8/29 - Lake Solitude via Cascade Canyon - 17 miles RT with one way boat ride This was suppose to be our rest day (no hiking) but for some reason we ended up doing this giant long hike lol.gif and we didn't get started until 11:45am rolleyes.gif Cascade Canyon is incredibly scenic and the whole hike is really beautiful. A loop trip is possible here but I didn't want to kill my knees with the 4000 ft. elevation loss going up and down Paintbrush Divide shakehead.gif We took a boat ride from Jenny Lake to get across the lake (saved us 2 miles) and started up the trail at the other end of the lake. It took us 3 hours to hike the 7.5 or so miles up to the lake and we sat around for a good 1-2 hours just enjoying the views and lunch. We got back too late to catch the boat ride back across the lake so we walked around Jenny Lake to get back to the car. We made it back just before it got completely dark at ~ 8:45pm biggrin.gif This should be on your "must-do" list if you're visiting the Tetons agree.gif
Cascade Canyon
Cascade Canyon
Scot on trail
Scot on trail
hikers on the way up
hikers on the way up
pizza lunch at Lake Solitude
pizza lunch at Lake Solitude
Cascade Canyon
Cascade Canyon
Lake Solitude
Lake Solitude
on Jenny Lake trail
on Jenny Lake trail
8/30 - pictures day and Jackson day - maybe a couple of miles We drove around different spots outside the park to try to take some pictures of the Tetons. We went on Antelope Flats Road to get some barn shots and then down the Schwabacher Road to get some reflection shots.
Then in the afternoon we went to Jackson for groceries and a late lunch at Bubba's bbq house hockeygrin.gif up.gif It was so good we came back for dinner the next night!
Bubba's bbq in Jackson
Bubba's bbq in Jackson
8/31 - Holmes Cave - 9 miles RT (this hike is outside the park, I think in the Bridger-Teton National Forest) Not sure how I came up with this hike out of all the hikes around the area, but it turned out to be a good one cool.gif Weather started out ok but turned crappy on the way out. We got really muddy and wet!
sign
sign
lake on the way
lake on the way
pond
pond
rainbow on Holmes Cave trail
rainbow on Holmes Cave trail
It continued to pour after the hike.... what to do dizzy.gif we ended up going to Colter Bay to take showers and then out to Bubba's again for dinner and then some laundry at a 24 hour laundry place in Jackson. After that the rain stopped and we went back to the campsite for some sleep zzz redface.gif Next up - Yellowstone and Glacier NP smile.gif

♫ You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. And you're the one who will decide where you'll go. Oh the places you'll go. - Dr. Seuss
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Sep 11, 2008 7:30 am 
Great pics Silly. Looks like you had a wonderful time. Thanks.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
TrailPair

TrailPair
PostThu Sep 11, 2008 7:44 am 
Looks like a place we will have to put on our list. up.gif

This thing called work is interfering with my play
grateful2ski
escape the desk!

grateful2ski
escape the desk!
PostThu Sep 11, 2008 9:40 am 
ah the tetons, damn i love that place, every mountain pic is poster worthy...glad to hear the weather was ok-ish, i hear that snow is already falling there. glacier and yellowstone still to come, cant wait for the TR...enjoy! yummm...pizza

Its me whos gotta die when its time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to
silly_traveler
~ roaming ~

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~
PostThu Sep 11, 2008 6:35 pm 
TrailPair wrote:
Looks lik a place we will have to put on our list. up.gif
agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif I have a book you can borrow if you guys are heading down there, hikes in the Teton area or something like that smile.gif grateful2ski - the mountains got some snow towards the end of our stay, it was really pretty!

♫ You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. And you're the one who will decide where you'll go. Oh the places you'll go. - Dr. Seuss
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostThu Sep 11, 2008 6:40 pm 
cool.gif Now that you're back, Jasper wants to hike with you again. Something about banana chips hmmm.gif

Knows literally nothing
Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostThu Sep 11, 2008 8:29 pm 
Thank you, S-T! I have not returned to "my spirit home" since moving from KY to WA in May, 1973. I hiked most every thing there at Teton Park...but, there are more and more trails to explore. I have soooo many stories of bing young and tramping the Park....the place we went when I was a kid was The Double Diamond Ranch, now "Climbers Ranch". The owner's built the newer structures; the dad, Nola's father, built some of the early structures with his father. The Browns ran the DDR for years and years; it has s short "stay of execution" due to the neighbor and weighty olitician, the then Senator from PA. But the Park "got it" and one last in-holding disappeared. I think the cared for use of the DDR provided far more stewardship for the land and place and allowed anyone who visited to have a lifetime of memories that turned nearly all into early Environmentalists...whatever we all were, from those of 90 years to those still in diapers. I have thousands of slides from those days. Never made it to The Grand, but got real close once or twice. Paintbrush Divide day hike is the greatest! LOve the shot along Jackson Lake shore....all silver afternoon sunlight on the water....that is one of my last memories of the place, too...a sunny May afternoon on the shore....days were low 60's; nights were way down in teens! Only time I never spent at Jackson Hole was winter...what a shame...now you have to win a Big Lotto in order to have pocket money to visit Jackson and wander the valley! Once upon a time there was a double trunk aspen near String Lake that everyone went to photograph since it framed The Cathedral Group to perfection. Aspens are short lived and I am soo happy I saw that one! Bet you can find the image somewhere on-line!

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~
PostFri Sep 12, 2008 8:48 am 
GeoTom wrote:
cool.gif Now that you're back, Jasper wants to hike with you again. Something about banana chips hmmm.gif
cool.gif I'm up for a hike with Jasper cool.gif tell him I will provide PB&J sandwich and banana chips smile.gif