Forum Index > Trip Reports > Goat Rocks
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Peacenik

Peacenik
PostMon Sep 15, 2008 12:09 pm 
You've all probably seen it many times before, but this was my first trip to GR. Wonderful. Sunny and warm. Just a great place. Made it to the top of Old Snowy (7380 feet). I'll probably go back. It was easy for me to see why this area is so favored. Then again, Washington State has many other places I need to see. I parked at the Snowgrass Flat trail head. The walk to Snowgrass Flat was perhaps three hours. I camped there for the weekend. Pretty convenient with water right there, and at least two hiking routes starting there (Goat Lake and PCT). I just love the color of the sky at those kinds of elevations. Can I say it here? I like to 'get high.'

The stuff you believe......is true. All generalizations are false. Everything is funny, unless you're confused. Attitude is everything.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Curtissimo

Curtissimo
PostMon Sep 15, 2008 12:43 pm 
thanks for posting.... you'd be surprised how many of us from here and never been there!!! (me included).

Tag Man
side hiller

Tag Man
side hiller
PostMon Sep 15, 2008 12:52 pm 
Were you up there (Old Snowy) Saturday or Sunday? I was up there yesterday but I have not posted my pictures yet. I may have spoke to you as you were heading down, I'm not sure though. You look kind of familiar. You were pretty stoked about the view if that was you.

RichP

RichP
PostMon Sep 15, 2008 1:05 pm 
Peacenik wrote:
Made it to the top of Old Snowy (7380 feet).
You actually were at 7930.' Congratulations on making it to a sublime spot.

Peacenik

Peacenik
PostMon Sep 15, 2008 1:21 pm 
Sublime indeed! I was told this area was a big volcano that collapsed bazillions of years ago. Now I see. Saw. The big feature you see from the top of Old Snowy is a semi-circle of peaks and ridges. High ones! Old Snowy is not the highest, though none are a great deal higher. PCT follows a knife-edge ridge below. Then there is Goat Lake. What a geological feature that is. Here is a pic. If folks have been telling you that Goat Rocks is a good place to hike, I'm telling you there is a reason they say that.

The stuff you believe......is true. All generalizations are false. Everything is funny, unless you're confused. Attitude is everything.