Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt Catherine 4968' - An unexpected summit - 9/14/08
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
raz2sea
Daddy RAZ

raz2sea
Daddy RAZ
PostSun Sep 14, 2008 7:20 pm 
This was a WTA work party that was originally planned for Lk Lillian but was changed to the Mt Catherine trail. Little did I know I'd be also peak bagging. Left the house about 6:40 and started picking up people in Ballard and Capitol Hill that were carpooling with me. Hit I-90 by 7:30 and met up with the WTA crew leader at the Hyak exit at 8:20. Got our directions on where we were going with the change of plans. Arrived at the Mt Catherine TH about 9:30, had our safety briefing and then the crew leader announced that we would be going to the summit and working our way back down. So off we went, around 10am, made the summit at 11, broke for some food and water. Decided now would be a good time for pics since it was so clear out. Got a good amount of trail work done and was back at the cars by 2:30. There's a fine section of re-worked trail near the summit of Mt Catherine now. Shortly before leaving though a gentleman comes walking down the road asking if we can help get his car unstuck from the ditch he has just driven into. So we walk up the road, find that he's managed to get both driver side wheels into the ditch and may be high centered. So 8 of us push on the back and he makes it out of the ditch. WTA: we do trail work and get cars out of ditching with our bare hands. lol.gif All in all it was nice to get out for the first time in a few weeks, get a summit in, give back to the trails I love so much and help a guy get his car out of a ditch. Feeling all warm and fuzzy tonight. dizzy.gif And now the pics:
Tinkham Pk and Mt Rainier
Tinkham Pk and Mt Rainier
Summit poser
Summit poser
We came up that???
We came up that???
Granite Mtn and Snoqualmie Mtn
Granite Mtn and Snoqualmie Mtn
Summit Shadow
Summit Shadow
Yep, it'd hurt to fall
Yep, it'd hurt to fall
ALERT: The Angry Hiker dog forecast for Mt Catherine was as follows:
More water please??
More water please??
Yea lots of dogs, big dogs but no poodles

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSun Sep 14, 2008 8:31 pm 
thanks for your help on the trails, raz2sea! what's the elevation of mt. catherine? congrats on your unexpected summit! up.gif remember, i'm an old lady! hike slow on the way to 7 lakes basin! biggrin.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
raz2sea
Daddy RAZ

raz2sea
Daddy RAZ
PostSun Sep 14, 2008 8:46 pm 
bcfc53 wrote:
thanks for your help on the trails, raz2sea! what's the elevation of mt. catherine? congrats on your unexpected summit! up.gif remember, i'm an old lady! hike slow on the way to 7 lakes basin! biggrin.gif
Well I got 4968 but topo shows 5K somthing (can't read the actual height) We'll see who goes slower.... lol.gif

Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!

Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!
PostSun Sep 14, 2008 9:41 pm 
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSun Sep 14, 2008 10:12 pm 
banghead.gif i should have read your subject heading which included the elevation! shakehead.gif be sure to pray to the weather god for some decent forecast this weekend! agree.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage
PostMon Sep 15, 2008 6:32 pm 
Keep it up raz and we'll be seeing you on top 100 peaks in no time!

"Forest 101: These big wood stick things are called trees. The big rocks are called mountains, and the little rocks are their babies." Elliott from Open Season