Forum Index > Trip Reports > Rock Mountain 9/16/2008
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
snowhat

snowhat
PostWed Sep 17, 2008 12:48 pm 
Took advantage of a vacation day from work on Tuesday and perhaps the last 80+ degree day of the year to hike Rock Mountain. Took the Snowy Creek trail and reached the meadow in about 2 miles:
Meadow
Meadow
From the meadow it is possible to almost see the summit:
Rock Mountain
Rock Mountain
On the way up
On the way up
Looking back at the meadow
Looking back at the meadow
After sweating in the sun for a few miles, finally made it to the ridge, and views of Rock Lake:
Rock Lake
Rock Lake
And finally, the summit:
Almost there!
Almost there!
Glacier from old lookout
Glacier from old lookout
Very hot day, we hiked quickly back down into whatever shade we could find and made it back in reasonable time. My first TR with pictures! Hopefully I got it right.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostWed Sep 17, 2008 5:30 pm 
Nice pics and report. Rock Mountain is such a special mountain with great views.

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
tigermn

tigermn
PostWed Sep 17, 2008 7:08 pm 
Yea this is a great destination. I'm thinking about revisiting it in the next week or two or three depending on what other potential new destinations rear themselves....maybe by the dreaded whatchamacallit trail from highway 2...

snowhat

snowhat
PostWed Sep 17, 2008 7:15 pm 
EastKing - I actually used your post on Rock Mtn on summitpost.org to figure out where this mountain was, then used the gps coords to print out a map from USAPhotoMaps. My Dad said we were going to Rock Mtn, just try and do a google search for that. I couldn't find it in any of my guidebook indexes either. Anyway, once I figured out it was on Nason ridge, it was easier to find info on. If it wasn't for your glowing report about how nice it was on sunny days, I probably wouldn't have gone! Thanks!

tigermn

tigermn
PostWed Sep 17, 2008 9:19 pm 
HikerTom wrote:
EastKing - I actually used your post on Rock Mtn on summitpost.org to figure out where this mountain was, then used the gps coords to print out a map from USAPhotoMaps. My Dad said we were going to Rock Mtn, just try and do a google search for that. I couldn't find it in any of my guidebook indexes either. Anyway, once I figured out it was on Nason ridge, it was easier to find info on. If it wasn't for your glowing report about how nice it was on sunny days, I probably wouldn't have gone! Thanks!
I had never heard of or noticed it either. Then once EastKing talked about it, I discoverd that both trails up are actually described in the 55 hikes around Stevens Pass book. #39 the Snowy Creek route that most people take and #40 the Rock Lake route that is more of a hot grinder that starts right off highway 2. Yea a google search of Rock Mountain is a gasser... lol.gif

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostThu Sep 18, 2008 11:08 am 
Quote:
You are welcome. I feel very good now that my writings have help out someone else on a trip. Like many other people here on nwhikers.net and summitpost.org I try to share as much beta as I can in order to help others with hike and scrambles in the region. On nwhikers.net I try to make it more entertaining and personable whereas in summitpost.org I am more beta oriented. Because of summitpost.org and nwhikers.net, I have met very many quality friends who share the same interest as well as done mountains that I didn't even think were there. In writing trip reports and entering different mountains on SP, I want to continue to help others in the community. Hopefully sometime soon I will run into you on a trip. -EK

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.