Forum Index > Trip Reports > Bailey Range 2008
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
turnpikegates

turnpikegates
PostTue Sep 16, 2008 5:00 pm 
I spent last week on a (mostly) solo trek through the Bailey Range in ONP. Epic weather, six days of sunshine in some of the rainiest spots on the continent. Pictures can be seen at: http://picasaweb.google.com/turnpikegates/BaileyRange2008# I have notes from each day of the trip but I'm hesitant to write a full report of my travels until I've had a few days to let the glory of it all sink in. I did the traverse in six days from the Sol Duc TH to the North Fork Quinault TH. I spent 2 days hiking with a couple I met along the route and had a wonderful time. There was one other group that I was aware of on the route, bringing the human total to six. Compared to the 13 bear I saw during my travels, there was a 2:1 ratio of ursine to humans. There was a mountain goat guarding the Catwalk when I crossed but I was to busy scrambling to find my camera. The gullies along the west side of Mt. Carrie were certainly the most daunting aspect of the trip, though there is plenty of room along the way for even the most experienced of backcountry travelers to get themselves in a pinch. I stayed at Heart Lake the first night,Eleven Bull Basin for the second, though there was some speculation about whether it really was Eleven Bull Basin. Third night in Upper Ferry, fourth at Lone Tree Pass, and finally, a night at Low Divide before heading out the North Fork. The route conditions were excellent. Didn't have to contend with snow until south of Lone Tree Pass, but that is to be expected. I used Crampons and an Ice Axe for most of the snow crossings (didn't carry all that weight for nothing...) There were huge blowdowns throughout the Elwha Basin and the snowfinger looked a lot like a clearcut. There were no problems with the snowfinger itself and I ended up taking my crampons off only because they were getting branches stuck in them. The North Fork Quinault trail is a sight to behold. Massive gashes in the earth where small streams once flowed... It will be a different place for decades to come. Brian

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue Sep 16, 2008 5:07 pm 
Great pictures and welcome to the site (as a non-lurker, anyway). Your pictures leave off in the middle of the Olympics, just E of Mt Olympus. Where did you exit?

turnpikegates

turnpikegates
PostTue Sep 16, 2008 5:21 pm 
I left the Bailey Range by descending the Elwha snowfinger and then went over Low Divide to exit via the North Fork Quinault trail. My camera battery died as I was coming into the Elwha Basin. I'm hoping that the wonderful trail friends I made will share some of their pictures of the last leg of the trip and I can include them in my collection for others to enjoy! Thanks for the welcome, I've been lurking a longtime and felt the time was right to share my trip with this community. Brian

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster
PostTue Sep 16, 2008 5:26 pm 
Quote:
I stayed at Heart Lake the first night,Eleven Bull Basin for the second, though there was some speculation about whether it really was Eleven Bull Basin.
We had the same problem when we traversed the Bailey Range in '06. One trip report we read described 11-Bull Basin as having many waterfalls cascading down it. When we arrived at what another trip report indicated was 11-Bull Basin (and what we marked on our map) we found a dry basin with a muddy area where a tarn had been in the past. We passed the waterfall basin already and had to climb 300' or so to a snow patch for water that night. Which basin did you think was 11-Bull, the one with all the streams or the dry one just before the counter elevation and traverse above Cream Lake?

Anything stated by me in no way reflects the attitudes or opinions of my wife
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostTue Sep 16, 2008 5:30 pm 
Fabulous! And welcome. I can just imagine how amazing your trip was.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
turnpikegates

turnpikegates
PostTue Sep 16, 2008 5:36 pm 
We stayed at the smaller basin with the mud hole. There was a spring located just downhill from where we made camp that the other couple knew about from a previous trip. You couldn't hear it but if you followed the land towards the obvious watercourse path, there was plenty of the cold stuff to be had. When we were discussing Eleven Bull Basin, I mentioned the "enduring streams". The couple I was hiking with were sure that "their" basin was Eleven Bull Basin and the larger area a bit north was something else entirely. Either way, there was water to be had and the views were gorgeous.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Sep 16, 2008 6:12 pm 
ferry basin looks up.gif

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
peltoms

peltoms
PostTue Sep 16, 2008 6:21 pm 
That was the best photo display of a bailey range traverse that I have seen. I did not remember it that beautiful even in my mind eye. I look forward to more details when you are done savoring the initial memory. smile.gif

North Cascade Glacier Climate Project: http://www.nichols.edu/departments/glacier/
Don

Don
PostTue Sep 16, 2008 7:48 pm 
Excellent trip! I last did this traverse in '06, combining it with the Skyline High Route. What an amazing experience. Upper Ferry Basin was my favorite by far. As for 11 Bull Basin, I've always understood it to be the last basin before the descent to Cream Lake/ascent to Stephen Peak. In reviewing my maps and literature, I can't find anything to support this other than mileage (5 miles from the catwalk). I guess the debate lives on...

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster
PostTue Sep 16, 2008 7:57 pm 
We used Don's TR as beta for our trip one month later. That's the report I referenced stating that 11 Bull Basin is the one just before the traverse above Cream Lake. The waterfall basin isn't 5 miles from the catwalk so the dry (with a spring we didn't know about) basin must be it. We nicknamed the other one 23 Goat Basin after Don's incident.

Anything stated by me in no way reflects the attitudes or opinions of my wife
Phil

Phil
PostWed Sep 17, 2008 7:34 am 
Fantastic! I love the map that tags photo locations. How were the bugs?

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostWed Sep 17, 2008 8:12 am 
Wow!

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Sep 17, 2008 8:32 am 
I was up there yesterday. ALL THE SKEETERS IN WASHINGTON STATE ARE HOLDING A CONVENTION IN THE OLYMPICS! lol.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Don

Don
PostWed Sep 17, 2008 8:38 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
I was up there yesterday. ALL THE SKEETERS IN WASHINGTON STATE ARE HOLDING A CONVENTION IN THE OLYMPICS! lol.gif
Are you sure? Because I just looked in Trip Reports and didn't see anything listed by you, let alone any 5D pics to daydream to. Hmmmm? prod.gif hockeygrin.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Sep 17, 2008 8:42 am 
Don wrote:
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Are you sure? Because I just looked in Trip Reports and didn't see anything listed by you, let alone any 5D pics to daydream to. Hmmmm? prod.gif hockeygrin.gif
Alright alright alright. Im working on it. Besides, dont you be talking to me about dreaming pictures ANSEL! moon.gif doh.gif lol.gif winksmile.gif bawl.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln