Forum Index > Trail Talk > Trailhead Break-ins
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostMon Jul 13, 2020 11:37 am 
smile.gif Did they steal you sandals and bell bottom pants?

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jul 13, 2020 11:50 am 
Sky Hiker wrote:
No, the tool kit that air cooled VW drivers always need to bring along to fix various break downs that plagued those machines. German Engineering my ass.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Washakie

Washakie
PostTue Jul 14, 2020 10:42 am 
Had one for years, then bought the camper/van. Had the same engine as the bug. 1970 as I recall. I learned to enjoy driving slowly. It always ran , but rarely ran well.

"What is the color when black is burned?" - Neil Young "We're all normal when we want our freedom" - Arthur Lee "The internet can make almost anyone seem intelligent" - Washakie
seattlenativemike

seattlenativemike
PostTue Jul 14, 2020 11:49 am 
I'll never forget driving to Disneyland as a kid with Dad in his 70 van. Engine blew around Sacramento. He was carrying an extra and transplanted it on the side of the road with hand tools.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jul 14, 2020 12:12 pm 
I've rebuilt three air cooled VW engines. The "Idiots book" is quite useful. I once drove my '66 Squareback to Wisconsin and back for a kayak race. Something was up with the ignition as I was burning through a set of points every 400 miles. I got pretty good at replacing the points and resetting the timing on the shoulder of I-90. In the late '80s I bought a car with electronic ignition (a Chevette) and I never needed to do a "tune up" again. When my youngest was in HS we bought a '70 Bus and stripped it down to the metal and repainted it. White on top and iridescent blue below the windows. He drove it off to college in SoCal. He enjoyed the coolness, but ultimately he decided that he wanted a vehicle that would start 99.9% of the time he turned the key instead of 95%. (In retrospect we needed to have replaced the wiring harness as well)

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostTue Jul 14, 2020 12:45 pm 
[I hate to continue the thread drift, but given this thing is 8 pages long shouldn't be that big a deal!] I also rebuilt one of the VW air cooled engines in our 1977 bus and found the "VW repair for the Compleat Idiot" book very helpful (I just wish there was a book like that for Subarus)!
The 1977 was, I believe, the last year they came with mechanical valve lifters, a plague for any old VWs requiring valve adjustments every 2000 miles IIRC. BUT, I was able to install hydraulic lifters, since the 1978 engines were otherwise very similar to the 1977, and kiss valve adjustment goodbye!

Seattle_Wayne

Seattle_Wayne
PostFri Jul 17, 2020 4:07 pm 
Hiked Barlow Point June 18th this year on Mountain top Highway- at around 4:30pm coming back, I saw a couple of guys trying door handles on the Gothic Basin parking lot.

Vesper Peak
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Jul 17, 2020 4:28 pm 
That ^ TH would be an excellent place for a stakeout.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
fn1889m

fn1889m
PostSat Jul 18, 2020 9:19 am 
coldrain108 wrote:
We were doing the Beckey route on the Liberty Bell, when we got to the Blue Lake parking lot the police were there. The person didn't just get robbed he got tied to a tree and abused by the scum bags.
I pulled into the Rainy Pass parking lot in the early 90s. Heard some yelling, and found a guy tied to a tree, who had been robbed at gunpoint. Skagit county eventually arrested a druggie who was living at Baker Lake Campground, and driving to trailheads at night to break into cars. Drove the guy back to Newhalem. Never made it to Wing Lake that day.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Jul 18, 2020 9:45 am 
A lot of people are out of work because of coronavirus. Expect more break ins. Don't leave anything valuable in your car. Or anything the looks like it might be valuable.

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostTue Feb 08, 2022 10:15 pm 
The catalytic convertor was stolen today while parked at the Issaquah High School TH (Section Line) from ~3:30-5:30, "rush hour". And yes, it is a Prius. Be aware.

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
RichP

RichP
PostWed Feb 09, 2022 3:52 pm 
I overheard a conversation a few days ago that the Columbia City neighborhood was being hit hard by catalytic converter thieves. Preferred car: Honda CRV.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Feb 09, 2022 4:01 pm 
I did some reading on the subject and apprently older model Prius are being hit particularly hard as the converter has several times the amount of rare metals in the converter as non-hybrid vehicles. Apparently with the engine running intermitently, temperatures in the converter are lower and more catalyst is required to meet emmissions standards. Prius converters have a scrap value over $1000 vs under $300 for a non-hybrid sedan of similar size. https://www.automotive-fleet.com/10156922/older-toyota-prius-models-targeted-by-component-thieves#:~:text=Currently%2C%20Prius%20is%20being%20targeted,run%20part%20of%20the%20time.

RichP

RichP
PostWed Feb 09, 2022 4:07 pm 
Leave it to thieves to stay on top of things.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Feb 09, 2022 4:51 pm 
Randito wrote:
Sky Hiker wrote:
No, the tool kit that air cooled VW drivers always need to bring along to fix various break downs that plagued those machines. German Engineering my ass.
Ya, I get it. They are fun though.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln