Forum Index > Trail Talk > Trailhead Break-ins
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostWed Mar 04, 2020 8:20 am 
Here's one for ya....I locked my keys in the toyota pick-up truck...broke the passenger window trying to get in....before the hike even started... my friend said well guess were not going hiking...HA!...parked away from the trailhead with that side facing the woods...took out the battery, distributor rotor, all info. from glovebox... 3 days up at snoqualmie lake on the middle fork....

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostWed Mar 04, 2020 9:20 am 
mossy mom wrote:
The broken hose does not carry antifreeze. But thanks for the free advice. wink.gif
Any hose connected to the engine carries antifreeze. Well with the exception of windshield washer hoses, which are too small to be spliced with garden hose. Unless you don't have ANY antifreeze in the engine coolant which is bad practice even if your temps don't drop down to freezing. Antifreeze also protects the engine and other components from corrosion.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Mar 04, 2020 11:19 am 
forest gnome wrote:
Here's one for ya....I locked my keys in the toyota pick-up truck...broke the passenger window trying to get in....before the hike even started... my friend said well guess were not going hiking...HA!...parked away from the trailhead with that side facing the woods...took out the battery, distributor rotor, all info. from glovebox... 3 days up at snoqualmie lake on the middle fork....
Dude, no one is going to enter your truck without a hasmat suit, lol.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Mar 04, 2020 11:21 am 
RichP wrote:
After many years of luck, I had my first trailhead break in yesterday in very rural Spokane County. Not heeding my own advice from nearly 11 1/2 years ago in this thread, I left a backpack in the car while I was out on a bike ride for a few hours. I had been out on a hike earlier and didn't want to haul all my gear on the bike. Silly me!
Rats! I lost all my hiking gear including wet, smelly boots.
Rats! I lost all my hiking gear including wet, smelly boots.
That really sucks. Best to use the forest gnome method of gear stashing in the woods if you can't carry it.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Mar 04, 2020 11:26 am 
Sorry RP. Sometimes lifes lessons are hard/expensive ones. I wouldn't want to lose any gear, thats for sure.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Mar 04, 2020 11:55 am 
RichP wrote:
After many years of luck, I had my first trailhead break in yesterday in very rural Spokane County. Not heeding my own advice from nearly 11 1/2 years ago in this thread, I left a backpack in the car while I was out on a bike ride for a few hours. I had been out on a hike earlier and didn't want to haul all my gear on the bike. Silly me!
I'm really sorry to hear that. 😕

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Mar 04, 2020 12:28 pm 
Picture an old truck full of trash, paint cans, dirty clothes, McDonalds wrappers, pop cans, etc...no reason to lock it. thieves are too lazy to sift through all of that on the small chance that there might (there isn't) anything of value. That's how you prevent TH break ins. Also leave the windows down even if it's unlocked as many times they will still break the windows of an unlocked vehicle.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Mar 04, 2020 1:31 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
That really sucks. Best to use the forest gnome method of gear stashing in the woods if you can't carry it.
Your renter's or home owner's insurance covers property stolen from inside your car. FYI.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Mar 04, 2020 1:36 pm 
I don't have either of those so...I just drive an old, ugly, low value, TH car, leave the windows down, unlocked, and with nothing of any real value inside, not Rocket Science. Still, it's a Toyota, so pretty reliable for a 30 year old car. So, either carry it with you or hide it in the woods.

schifferj

schifferj
PostWed Mar 04, 2020 2:02 pm 
RichP wrote:
After many years of luck, I had my first trailhead break in yesterday in very rural Spokane County.
Interesting. Two days ago I was returning to the trail head at the James Slavin Conservancy area (semi-rural Spokane County) and noticed a car trolling the parking lot where four cars including mine were parked. One occupant hopped out and was looking in windows of cars. When they saw me approaching they quickly departed. I was unable to obtain make, model, and license number of the vehicle but I did call crime check to report the activity.

schifferj

schifferj
PostWed Mar 04, 2020 2:04 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Your renter's or home owner's insurance covers property stolen from inside your car. FYI.
Minus the deductible of course. My deductible is $500.

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostWed Mar 04, 2020 4:12 pm 
hiding stuff in the woods does not always work.I have had things taken that was stashed under fallen trees off the trail.

RichP

RichP
PostWed Mar 04, 2020 4:24 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
I checked my homeowner's insurance and the deductible is 950. I lost slightly under that. frown.gif

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Mar 04, 2020 4:26 pm 
schifferj wrote:
Cyclopath wrote:
Minus the deductible of course. My deductible is $500.
Yeah, so it may or may not be worth using. But if you hide your gear in the woods and it isn't there when you get back, that's it's, nobody will help you. I'm just saying it's not always the best idea to leave your stuff hidden at the trailhead.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Mar 04, 2020 4:28 pm 
RichP wrote:
I checked my homeowner's insurance and the deductible is 950. I lost slightly under that. frown.gif
Crap! I'm so sorry to hear that. 😬