Forum Index > Trail Talk > Trailhead Break-ins
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Apr 06, 2020 5:50 pm 
Monday April 6, 2020 16:46 PDT Olympic National Park News Release Man sentenced to prison for car prowls in Olympic and Mount Rainier National Parks Following an investigation by US Park Rangers, a repeat offender who victimized more than 40 hikers and campers was recently sentenced to serve two years in federal prison to follow a 25-month state prison term. Michael Wayne Pickering, age 41, prowled at least four dozen cars at more than seven different trailheads and parking lots in Olympic and Mount Rainier national parks. Pickering must also serve three years of supervised release following prison. Court documents describe how, on March 28, 2019, Pickering and his girlfriend smashed windows and stole thousands of dollars of equipment from vehicles parked at the Graves Creek Trailhead and Fletcher Canyon Trailhead in Olympic National Park. This was the beginning of a month-long theft spree. In crimes the judge described at the sentencing hearing as “planned and methodical,” Pickering and his girlfriend used credit and debit cards stolen from the vehicles to make purchases at various stores – the overall financial damage was more than $50,000. Pickering was stopped when he was caught shortly after walking out of a store where he used victims’ bank cards, with a window punch (a tool used to break car windows), and three credit cards in a victim’s name in his pocket. In addition to credit and debit cards, Pickering stole expensive electronics, car and house keys, diaries, clean clothes, makeup, and toiletries. When law enforcement searched his residence, they found Pickering had been stockpiling much of the gear he stole or selling it online. He used the stolen debit and credit cards to buy himself luxuries such a flat screen TVs, gaming systems, a drone, and clothes. “The victims in this case didn’t just suffer a financial loss, they were emotionally damaged as well,” said US Attorney Brian Moran, Western District of Washington. “Some returned from what was supposed to be a relaxing time in nature, to find themselves stranded with a damaged vehicle, their electronics, clothes and money stolen, marooned in the national park, with no cell phone service. For some it has forever changed their interest in outdoor activities.” In statements made to the court, victims of Pickering’s crimes described how the car prowls violated their sense of safety and changed their attitude toward camping. Some of the comments include: It’s really hard to feel so unsafe in the outdoors, which is where I usually find peace and solace. The crime happened on the last day of a hiking/camping/backpacking trip with friends. I took what otherwise was a great vacation and made it very sour. We were exhausted and freezing by the time we returned to the trailhead. When we found the truck windows busted out and my luggage stolen it was devastating…We had to drive for nearly an hour with the cold wind and rain coming in through the windows…I have not returned to Washington since this event. The investigation also revealed that Pickering has a 15-year history of property crimes in and around Olympic National Park, such as burglary, identity theft, and trespassing. The case was investigated by US Park Rangers at Olympic and Mount Rainier national parks, assisted by a Special Agent of the National Park Service Investigative Services Branch, and was conducted in collaboration with Forks Police Department, La Push Police Department, Hoquiam Police Department, Mason County Sheriff’s Office, Grays Harbor Sheriff’s Office, and the Washington State Patrol. The US Attorney’s Office for the Western District of Washington prosecuted the case. The National Park Service is dedicated to supporting victims of and witnesses to crime that occurs within our community. We work to ensure they are treated with dignity and respect, informed of their legal rights, and connected with support and services throughout the continuum of care and recovery. More information is at the US Department of Justice Office for Victims of Crime website, ovc.gov/help. -NPS-

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Apr 06, 2020 6:32 pm 
Quote:
...The investigation also revealed that Pickering has a 15-year history of property crimes in and around Olympic National Park, such as burglary, identity theft, and trespassing.
Speaking of punishment, it would be interesting to know how this guy managed to skate on the 3-strikes law. 15 years of professional burglaring sounds like he'd qualify, despite the "spree = 1 strike" clause: From Three Strikes You're Out - A Review:
Quote:
To qualify under Washington's Three Strikes law, a criminal must be convicted as an adult on three separate occasions for serious felony crimes, including rape, robbery, child molestation, serious assault, manslaughter or murder. Crime sprees, regardless of the number of offenses, only count as one strike. As an additional safeguard for borderline cases, any felony listed as a strike, but which is not classified as either a class A felony or a sex offense has a 'wash-out' provision of either 5 or 10 years of conviction-free living in the community. This gives some potential three-strikers the opportunity to remove a prior strike from their record based on their law-abiding conduct.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Apr 06, 2020 6:40 pm 
Sounds like only violent crimes county as strikes, not property crime. That's reasonable. Remember your taxes pay for a lifetime at club fed.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Apr 06, 2020 6:44 pm 
^^^ Is "robbery" narrowly defined as a holdup with a weapon?

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Apr 06, 2020 6:49 pm 
I guess it depends how you define violent, but in my book this counts: RCW 9A.56.190 Robbery—Definition. A person commits robbery when he or she unlawfully takes personal property from the person of another or in his or her presence against his or her will by the use or threatened use of immediate force, violence, or fear of injury to that person or his or her property or the person or property of anyone. Such force or fear must be used to obtain or retain possession of the property, or to prevent or overcome resistance to the taking; in either of which cases the degree of force is immaterial. Such taking constitutes robbery whenever it appears that, although the taking was fully completed without the knowledge of the person from whom taken, such knowledge was prevented by the use of force or fear. [ 2011 c 336 § 379; 1975 1st ex.s. c 260 § 9A.56.190.] The part immediately after the bold is maybe borderline, but I think threatening somebody in person in a realistic way is going to cause enough trauma that it should count as violence.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Apr 06, 2020 6:55 pm 
^^^ Well, OK. I don't want this to devolve into a criminal justice debate. I realize our system doesn't do much at all to try to rehabilitate people. At least we'll be safe from one guy for about 4 years.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Apr 06, 2020 9:03 pm 
Yeah I don't want to provoke a debate either. In light of everything happening now, we should all keep our cars empty. Next time we go hiking, and at home too. This guy represents one down, but there are more to go.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Apr 06, 2020 9:14 pm 
Previous thread about trailhead break-ins at ONP during the summer of 2006 involving the same career criminal Michael Wayne Pickering

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
altasnob

altasnob
PostWed Apr 08, 2020 8:32 am 
The three strikes you're out law in Washington requires life in prison if you have three convictions for a "most serious offense" under Washington state law (not federal law). Most serious offense is defined by RCW 9.94A.030(33) Those include: Any felony defined under any law as a class A felony or criminal solicitation of or criminal conspiracy to commit a class A felony; Assault in the second degree; Assault of a child in the second degree; Child molestation in the second degree; Controlled substance homicide; Extortion in the first degree; Incest when committed against a child under age fourteen; Indecent liberties; Kidnapping in the second degree; Leading organized crime; Manslaughter in the first degree; Manslaughter in the second degree; Promoting prostitution in the first degree; Rape in the third degree; Sexual exploitation; Vehicular assault, when caused by the operation or driving of a vehicle by a person while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or any drug or by the operation or driving of a vehicle in a reckless manner; Vehicular homicide, when proximately caused by the driving of any vehicle by any person while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or any drug as defined by RCW 46.61.502, or by the operation of any vehicle in a reckless manner; Any other class B felony offense with a finding of sexual motivation; Any other felony with a deadly weapon verdict under RCW 9.94A.825; The only way a trail head break in could be a "most serious offense" is if the person committed the crime by force against a person who was present at the scene (that would elevate if from a theft/property damage crime to robbery). Also, since these crimes occurred in a National Park, they are prosecuted under federal, not state law, by federal prosecutors in a federal court. In general, a person gets more time under federal law rather than state law. Some crimes (not all) can be prosecuted either under federal law or state law, like unlawful possession of a firearm. In general, the federal prosecutors only will accept a case if a) the facts are very strong and a conviction is all but guaranteed and b) the person has horrible criminal history and the feds need to flex their muscles and send the person away for as long as they can.

timberghost

timberghost
PostWed Apr 15, 2020 5:13 am 
Saw they (USFS)were picking up Glass at Heybrook Look out TH

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSun Jul 12, 2020 8:33 pm 
In the past 2 weeks, I've seen reports of break-ins at Lanham Lake TH, Icicle TH, and the Jack Creek TH. shakehead.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
John_B

John_B
PostSun Jul 12, 2020 8:39 pm 
FYI cars have been getting hit along Highway 20/Washington Pass

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostMon Jul 13, 2020 8:37 am 
Get Out and Go wrote:
In the past 2 weeks, I've seen reports of break-ins at Lanham Lake TH, Icicle TH, and the Jack Creek TH. shakehead.gif
Really that's kind of surprising with the high number of cars parked there at times. Hopefully these people or person gets caught soon. Does the Nordic center have a cam there? Never really looked there.

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostMon Jul 13, 2020 9:40 am 
John_B wrote:
FYI cars have been getting hit along Highway 20/Washington Pass
That area has been a problem for the entire 30 years I've been living in SEA. I was with the mountaineers back in the early 90's. We were doing the Beckey route on the Liberty Bell, when we got to the Blue Lake parking lot the police were there. The person didn't just get robbed he got tied to a tree and abused by the scum bags. That is the risk of confronting them unless you plan (and are able) to use deadly force.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jul 13, 2020 10:43 am 
FWIW: Thieves broke into our VW Bug at the Eightmile trailhead in July 1976. Trailhead breakins are hardly a new problem.