Forum Index > Trail Talk > Trailhead Break-ins
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
RichP

RichP
PostTue Feb 15, 2022 9:21 am 
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Feb 15, 2022 12:33 pm 
Joseph wrote:
No, stealing is about getting drugs. It isn't like they steal and then go home and put the money in their piggy bank.
Joseph wrote:
You're right - its not a billion a year. More like a billion or nearly a billion over the last ten years, which is still a heck of a lot of money thrown at the problem, and the problem gets worse. This tells me that just giving addicts money is not the only answer. What do you think?
I think it sucks that people who own things have to be collateral damage in a failed war on drugs. Being illegal makes that stuff 100x more expensive and hasn't stopped the meth zombie apocalypse. Maybe next week it'll work.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
timberghost

timberghost
PostTue Feb 15, 2022 1:32 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
How do you get 1 billion per year?
Your leaving out a lot of other costs resulting from the homeless, i.e. Policing, tax revenue lost so businesses leaving, property damage, security, and on and on.

neek

neek
PostTue Feb 15, 2022 1:50 pm 
Incarceration costs taxpayers as well, quite a bit, and for some people can be the nail in the coffin for any chance at a productive life. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, and if we could find a way to improve life so that people don't turn to drugs and crime in the first place, we'd all be better off. Cheap meth does serious brain damage, and opiates are really hard to quit--we need to find ways not only to help those who have already crossed the threshold, but keep others from falling into the same trap. Once you get to that point...yeah it's possible to become a productive member of society, but not highly likely, as the odds are then even more stacked against you, with many employers hesitant to hire someone with a record. Best to deal with unequal opportunity before it becomes a problem. How to best do that is of course up for debate. Things like UBI are one attempt; I'm not sold on it but we need to keep experimenting with various ideas.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Feb 15, 2022 4:58 pm 
neek wrote:
with many employers hesitant to hire someone with a record.
But now especially when so many employers unable find find help, I would think nearly anyone could secure employment, especially in blue collar trades. I realize that incarceration is expensive, but I think that overall it's money much better spent than simply housing and feeding the homeless. After all they are known as "Correctional Facilities".

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.