Previous :: Next Topic  
MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts

Huge Member
PostThu Mar 12, 2020 9:24 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Quote:
He used the stolen debit and credit cards to buy himself luxuries such a flat screen TVs, gaming systems, a drone, and clothes.

B-B-B-But people only commit crimes due to socio-economic inequity or else they'll go hungry.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito

Snarky Member
PostFri Mar 13, 2020 7:00 am 
Ski wrote:
What puzzles me about this is: why would you leave your credit cards in your car at a trailhead? dizzy.gif

Because they were naive and were worried about losing their wallet/purse while out hiking.  Also they figured they wouldn't have any opportunity to use their CC out on the trail.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Backpacker Joe
NWH Joe-Bob

Backpacker Joe

NWH Joe-Bob
PostFri Mar 13, 2020 7:17 am 
Heck, I dont even leave my registration and insurance information in my car when I hike.

Just think, they break in and take your registration.  Now they know where you live and that you are NOT at home!!!

--------------
"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide."

— Abraham Lincoln
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots

Happy Curmudgeon
PostFri Mar 13, 2020 7:47 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Heck, I dont even leave my registration and insurance information in my car when I hike.

Just think, they break in and take your registration.  Now they know where you live and that you are NOT at home!!!

^ yes! Quite obvious.

--------------
"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Fullripbrian

Fullripbrian

PostFri Mar 13, 2020 8:02 am 
I think it’s a great idea to leave your cc in your car at the TH.  Break-ins occur even if the offender has no idea what goodies they could make off with.

From following these cases, seems that’s one of the better methods LEO’s have to catch and charge the offenders.  They are caught on security cameras at the Forks trading post or Aberdeen Walmart using stolen credit cards to make purchases.

That’s the evidence that leads to criminal charges and guilty verdicts.  Might be the difference between 6 months and six years behind bars.  Walmart is doing the lord’s work here.

Leave your credit cards in the car and help get these folks out of the woods and off the streets.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
catsp

catsp

PostFri Mar 13, 2020 8:59 am 
It would be great if no one ever left anything of value in their vehicles so that potential thieves would know to never smash a window to find out. Of course that's not the case now, and is unlikely to ever be the case. So if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time your vehicle will be broken into simply because it might have something in it worth stealing. Which sucks terribly.

But would I specifically worry about leaving my credit card in the vehicle? I don't see why. While I don't want to encourage fraudulent credit card use as a general proposition, it's not something I personally fret over. I'm just going to cancel and get a new card. Minor hassle, but certainly not much to lose sleep over. Heck, I've already had to have cards replaced several times (probably like many others), but not yet because of a trailhead break-in (fingers crossed). But maybe I'm missing something that makes it different?

As for the registration (and insurance card for those that have such things), I likewise don't really see the need to worry much about it. Specifically, the worry that a thief is going to break in, take the documents, presume that I'm going to be out of the house for a significant period of time, assume that no one else (human, canine or even unusually fierce feline) lives in my house, that's it worth driving over to someplace maybe a significant distance away assuming it's less secure than the thousands of homes between here and there ... etc., etc.  I'm sure there are instances where something like this has happened, but again, not something I personally place high on the list of things I'm going to worry much about. Plus, I have a Ring camera, so I can just remotely yell at them to get off my lawn and they will run away.

I'm not saying it's silly for those people who do it though, just like I don't think it's silly for those who believe in carrying overnight gear for every day hike. Both things actually make a certain amount of sense. They're just things that aren't particularly high on the worry matrix for me, which IMO is also reasonable.
neek

neek

PostFri Mar 13, 2020 9:29 am 
catsp wrote:
But would I specifically worry about leaving my credit card in the vehicle? I don't see why.

Agree a stolen card is not usually a huge deal (except when it is), but leaving it might signal to the thief that you are a fool who is likely to have left more goodies.

catsp wrote:
Specifically, the worry that a thief is going to break in, take the documents, presume that I'm going to be out of the house...

Exactly what recently happened to a close family member, along with slashed tires for good measure.  One anecdote, yes, but when it's close to home it's hard to ignore.
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman

It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Mar 13, 2020 10:13 am 
MyFootHurts wrote:
Quote:
He used the stolen debit and credit cards to buy himself luxuries such a flat screen TVs, gaming systems, a drone, and clothes.

B-B-B-But people only commit crimes due to socio-economic inequity or else they'll go hungry.

You are exploding a myth that doesn’t exist. Loosen the tinfoil a bit. No sane person thinks people “only” commit crimes for food or because of social inequity. Ever heard of “drugs”?   doh.gif

--------------
“The jerking motion of a knee does not reflect the operation of a mind”  Slugman, January 24th 2020
catsp

catsp

PostFri Mar 13, 2020 10:47 am 
neek wrote:
catsp wrote:
But would I specifically worry about leaving my credit card in the vehicle? I don't see why.

Agree a stolen card is not usually a huge deal (except when it is), but leaving it might signal to the thief that you are a fool who is likely to have left more goodies.

I should clarify that I hate getting my credit card info stolen (I've actually never (yet) had the physical credit card stolen). It feels weirdly personal. I'm just not particularly concerned with the particular concern of it being stolen at a trailhead if it was left in the car. I'm much more concerned with the window that was broken in order to see if there was a credit card or anything else of value in the car. ((Unless I'm leaving it in plain view as the initial "attraction".) Once they're already in the car I assume they are rummaging around whether or not they find a credit card. Indeed, I suppose one could argue that having a thief quickly find a credit card might lead them to quickly depart with the easy pickins' rather than look further with increased risk of being noticed. Or not. I'd guess the reality of it doesn't actually reflect that much thought and calculation by the thief one way or the other.

neek wrote:
catsp wrote:
Specifically, the worry that a thief is going to break in, take the documents, presume that I'm going to be out of the house...

Exactly what recently happened to a close family member, along with slashed tires for good measure.  One anecdote, yes, but when it's close to home it's hard to ignore.

It's only anecdotal when it happens to someone else. smile.gif  And I assume your close family member didn't have a Ring to scold and scare away the thief from afar? (I'm jk ofc.)

Like I said, I'm sure it happens. And there are probably various facts where the risk increases to the extent that taking your registration out makes more and more sense, like a more remote area where it seems more and more likely you might be on a longer term backpacking trip, etc. And like I said initially, taking it out certainly makes a certain amount of sense in any event, and I make no argument actively against it. It's just that for me personally, I'm not likely to worry about it during a day hike at Lake 22. But as I think about it more, I'd probably be much more inclined to do so if I was on a multi-day trip, though in that case my first line of defense would be to try to ride with someone else so my car wasn't even at the trail head. smile.gif
Backpacker Joe
NWH Joe-Bob

Backpacker Joe

NWH Joe-Bob
PostFri Mar 13, 2020 10:58 am 
moonspots wrote:
Backpacker Joe wrote:

^ yes! Quite obvious.

Maybe to you!  Whenever I talk to people parked at trail heads NOBODY, and I mean nobody takes their information with them@!

--------------
"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide."

— Abraham Lincoln
Backpacker Joe
NWH Joe-Bob

Backpacker Joe

NWH Joe-Bob
PostFri Mar 13, 2020 11:00 am 
Slugman wrote:
You are exploding a myth that doesn’t exist. Loosen the tinfoil a bit. No sane person thinks people “only” commit crimes for food or because of social inequity. Ever heard of “drugs”?  doh.gif

DUDE, like everybody else on your side, youve LOST your sense of humor!  He's joking!

--------------

— Abraham Lincoln
catsp

catsp

PostFri Mar 13, 2020 11:07 am 
I wanted to respond to graywolf's comment to clarify (though it seems to have been deleted).

"I carry my registration and wallet (credit cards, etc) with me, and I don't count those as "overnight gear"."

I should probably clarify that I don't leave my wallet (with or without credit cards) in the car. I do leave my registration on the car. My (attempted) point was that of all the concerns I have about leaving my car at a trailhead, and of all the things I worry might get damaged or stolen, a credit card is pretty much at the bottom of the list.

"Are you not strong enough to carry those?"

Like I mention above, I do carry my wallet, but of course this means I have to make some hard decisions on the other gear I'm able to carry as a result.
graywolf

graywolf

PostFri Mar 13, 2020 2:41 pm 
catsp wrote:
I wanted to respond to graywolf's comment to clarify (though it seems to have been deleted).

"I carry my registration and wallet (credit cards, etc) with me, and I don't count those as "overnight gear"."

I should probably clarify that I don't leave my wallet (with or without credit cards) in the car. I do leave my registration on the car. My (attempted) point was that of all the concerns I have about leaving my car at a trailhead, and of all the things I worry might get damaged or stolen, a credit card is pretty much at the bottom of the list.

"Are you not strong enough to carry those?"

Like I mention above, I do carry my wallet, but of course this means I have to make some hard decisions on the other gear I'm able to carry as a result.

I removed my post because I considered it too sarcastic.  But seriously, carrying your wallet means you won't be able to carry other gear?  Here's the wallet I use for backpacking: https://www.wheredoyouroam.com/shop

--------------
The only easy day was yesterday...
catsp

catsp

PostFri Mar 13, 2020 3:10 pm 
graywolf wrote:
I removed my post because I considered it too sarcastic.

Nah, not at all. I’d be the last one to take issue with a little mild sarcasm now and then.

graywolf wrote:
But seriously, carrying your wallet means you won't be able to carry other gear?

No, not seriously. wink.gif
graywolf

graywolf

PostFri Mar 13, 2020 3:18 pm 
Whew, glad to hear it.   smile.gif

--------------
The only easy day was yesterday...
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trail Talk > Trailhead Break-ins
  Happy Birthday kyle d!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: