Forum Index > Trip Reports > Three Fingers Mountain
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostTue Sep 16, 2008 5:18 pm 
Me, and Adam Walker (Known as Gimpilator) on September 12, 2008 went to Three Fingers. When I heard the news, I could hardly wait, I been wanting to go here longer than any other mountain that I have waited.... about 3 years, the reason I did'nt go a long time ago because my mother always way busy around the time of year that it was avalible, or bad weather, or money problems. I pack my gear, and head out there on a Friday Night, so that we could get an early start. The road had a few bumps, but was better than I expected. When we started hiking through the woods, thank goodness for the moon light because I forgot my headlamp, and relied mostly on Adams. As we hike through the woods, I catch a view of the Three Fingers through the dark shadow trees.
Three Fingers at Night
Three Fingers at Night
Night View of Three Fingers and Bullon
Night View of Three Fingers and Bullon
We eventual grow very tired, so we decide that at about 2.5 miles there's a lake that made a good spend the night spot, although there was lots of mud, and a little bit of snow, but atleast it was good enough. I slept great, better than at home. I enjoy some oat meal I brought, and its just after sunrise, and we then pack up our stuff, and continue up the trail.
Lake Reflection
Lake Reflection
Green Trail
Green Trail
There were lots of flowers along the way, as well as bees, and mosquitoes.
Purple Flowers
Purple Flowers
White flower
White flower
Shining Flowers
Shining Flowers
Spider and its web
Spider and its web
Mount Baker
Mount Baker
Mount Shuksan coming in View
Mount Shuksan coming in View
After a while, it finally cleared up, and at mile marker 5 we were at Goat Flats.
Three Fingers Reflection
Three Fingers Reflection
Boulder River Wilderness
Boulder River Wilderness
Hiking along Goat Flats
Hiking along Goat Flats
Mountains and Flowers
Mountains and Flowers
After getting to Goat flats, we put on some bug repelant, and boy did that help, plus we were going to higher altitude. At this point, there were lots of flowers. Later we eventually arrive to Tin Pan Gap.
Tin Pan Gap View
Tin Pan Gap View
Looking up the Ridge
Looking up the Ridge
At this point, snow was present, and we were unsure what to do at this point. If we crossed the snow below, it could be dangerous, and above was very steep and icy. This really worried me. Adam attempted to cross the snow, but turned around and said it was too dangerous unless it was the only way. Fortunatly we went above which is what the climbers on the way up told us not to do, but we did anyway and went in between the snow and rock squeesed up in a crack. At one point, the room became so thin, I got stuck, but managed to get out. Later when we got to the top, we got lucky, and did'nt have to climb up onto the snow, and scramled back onto the trail. (we avoided a dangerous spot)
Between the Rock and the snow
Between the Rock and the snow
Looking ahead at the ridge
Looking ahead at the ridge
Almost There!
Almost There!
After that, we hiked along the ridge, and boy was it cliffy, but that would'nt stop us from reaching the top. Before getting to the summit, there was a snow field, which is when we started to use our ice axes, but it was'nt too surious. A little further, and we got to the Three Ladders. Below the latters was a giant cliff, which means hold on for dear life! When climbing the second ladder, I got a sliver, which there were lots sticking out. And when going onto the Third ladder which you have to climb onto a rock, the latter looked as if it were only held by a rope, and it creeked as I went onto it, almost making me worried, but thank goodness there was also a rope you could hang onto just incase. I got past the third latter, and crawled the last 10 feet to the summit which there was a house. At the summit was a very good view... I would say 360, but you have to go to diffrent spots for the full 360, the house covers part of it.
Below the ladders
Below the ladders
The Three Ladders
The Three Ladders
Heading Down above the ladders
Heading Down above the ladders
The first thing I did when getting to the summit, I yelled in joy of reaching the summit. My friend the day before said that I could'nt do it, but I was able to do it. To my suprise, there were lots of books in the inside, and even a bed! But when the wind blows, you can hear the creeking of the house, which gives me the idea that the house is a little loose, but good enough. After about an hour or so, we had to head down, which again we were careful down the ladders.
Looking North Panorama
2 labels
Looking North Panorama
Looking North
Looking North
Looking East
17 labels
Looking East
The Crevasesses Below
The Crevasesses Below
Looking Down
Looking Down
Inside the House
Inside the House
The way down was better than my normal ways down, not only was it day, but for some reason it did'nt leave me feeling sick which I normally do, this was probably due to our great even pace. I'm not saying it was a skip and a jump, it was difficult to get to the summit, but some how not madness as it does other times.
The Trail near the Top
The Trail near the Top
Blue Flower
Blue Flower
Queet Sabe Glacier
Queet Sabe Glacier
Later, we got back to the part which you have to squees your self through, but fortunatly it was much easier on the way down. I have to admit, there was a lot of up and down on the ridge.
South Summit and the ridge
South Summit and the ridge
Grass and the North Peak
Grass and the North Peak
The Sun above the Ridge
The Sun above the Ridge
On the way down just as we were headed down for Tin Pan Gap, a Ptarmigan isright infront of me, and I take a few shots, and Adam whispers to me that the babies are on my left, which suprised me because rarly do I ever get this close to wild birds, plus the young ones too!
Ptarmigan Mother
Ptarmigan Mother
Young Ptarmigans
Young Ptarmigans
Close up
Close up
After that, we still had a long ways, after all Three Fingers is about 17 miles round trip. Later, we stop to filter some water, but besides that, we did not brake much. We talked a lot, and eventually came to the area we camped at. It was starting to become sunset, so we grabbed the rest of our gear, and headed down.
Three Fingers at a Distance
Three Fingers at a Distance
I got a headache on the way down, but besides that, I was enjoying my self, even though my body was tired. I had the feeling were I did not quite want to leave, but you know you have to... perhaps to return to mountains again, the most beautiful place in world.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
run4cache

run4cache
PostTue Sep 16, 2008 6:22 pm 
It was just starting to get good!

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue Sep 16, 2008 10:43 pm 
Good for you Josh! I hope Adam has some pictures to post.

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostWed Sep 17, 2008 3:21 am 
I fixed up the trip report
run4cache wrote:
It was just starting to get good!
Sorry about that.... I was in the process of creating it.... and I could'nt resist posting it early. embarassedlaugh.gif

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostWed Sep 17, 2008 7:27 am 
Good job, Josh! That is a tough hike. You are getting much better with your camera!

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
Flower Sniffer
Sniffer of flowers

Flower Sniffer
Sniffer of flowers
PostWed Sep 17, 2008 8:00 am 
Great trip report! I'd like to do Three Fingers, but not sure how I'd feel about the last part up! eek.gif Nice pictures!

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.
wamtngal

wamtngal
PostWed Sep 17, 2008 9:11 am 
Nice photos, Josh. Congrats on getting up there!

Opinions expressed here are my own.
run4cache

run4cache
PostWed Sep 17, 2008 11:16 am 
Great report! I've been wanting to go up there all year and have yet to do it. We'll see. I am hoping for a long Fall.

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostWed Sep 17, 2008 4:42 pm 
Great trip report and photos!!!! up.gif up.gif up.gif

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostWed Sep 17, 2008 5:15 pm 
Nice TR, Josh...thanks for posting!

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostWed Sep 17, 2008 8:15 pm 
Good trip report. Nice job documenting all the various things along the way with photos. I especially like your night shots.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostWed Sep 17, 2008 10:20 pm 
Thanks!
Magellan wrote:
Good for you Josh! I hope Adam has some pictures to post.
Some of Adam's photos from the trip can be seen here, and for a complete display of my photos, they can be seen here.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostWed Sep 17, 2008 11:49 pm 
The craziest thing is the Darrington Ranger station told them that
Quote:
The ladders are broken and the lookout is closed. Trust me, you won't make it.
WTH is that happy crappy? DRD has always been great so I don't understand this at all.

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostThu Sep 18, 2008 2:27 am 
he told me the same thing
Magellan wrote:
The craziest thing is the Darrington Ranger station told them that
Quote:
The ladders are broken and the lookout is closed. Trust me, you won't make it.
WTH is that happy crappy? DRD has always been great so I don't understand this at all.
He told me the same thing.... Although in my opinion I would never doubt a ranger having false info..... atleast after what happend when rescuing two girls from a river at Verlot, the ranger 10 minutes later driving his gold car "Iiissss eeevvveerrryyy ttthhhiiinnnggg oooookkkkkk???" on the loud speaker........ since then, I don't rely on them..... although not all rangers are like that. Thank goodness. lol.gif

peltoms

peltoms
PostThu Sep 18, 2008 5:17 am 
Grreat shots of ptarmigan. up.gif I see from your larger collection many more shots of Queet Sabe Glacier. Can you stitch some of those together, for a full glacier view?

North Cascade Glacier Climate Project: http://www.nichols.edu/departments/glacier/