Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt. Lillian Loop and larches on FS 9712
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSat Nov 01, 2008 10:44 pm 
While Mt Lillian Loop is not a trip to view larches, the drive to the trailhead most certainly is worth it. JimK and I have been here in spring, but couldn't recall if there were larches past Haney Mdws. There are, but the engineers on this trail, Jim said, worked very, very hard at not putting it where you can see them very well. lol.gif Near the end of the loop, there are some huge old growth ones - definately worth the visit - but for the most part, you can't see them for the forest. They're so tall their larchness is obscured by the lower canopy. The lighting today was just stunning. Jaw-droppingly stunning. Everything was so vivid that it glowed! First, a stop on the road to Liberty, where PiB & I discovered a beaver dam and pond last weekend.
Beaver pond and dam, Liberty
Beaver pond and dam, Liberty
Beaver Pond detail, Liberty
Beaver Pond detail, Liberty
The side of the road, Liberty
The side of the road, Liberty
The drive to the trailhead is a delight.
Pond, FS 9712, Swauk Pass
Pond, FS 9712, Swauk Pass
We parked at Haney Mdws and walked the road a piece to where there’s an obvious trail to the left, going uphill. This is the beginning of the loop (the trial also begins within the Ken Wilcox Horse Camp, but I’ve never started the trail from there). We followed this about ˝ mile or so and exited left when it was apparent the terrain was open, and views were to be had. This took us to the edge of a cliff, overlooking Wenatchee.
Well, not today...   But normally you can see Wenatchee area from here.
Well, not today... But normally you can see Wenatchee area from here.
Once on the trail, there are glimpses of larches here and there, but you never get the Big Wow. However (there’s always a redeeming “however” with ole Quark), it’s a place of special beauty in fall; many interesting plants in their late stage, and in the particular light we had today, the grasses, mosses and other plants were vivid to the point of cartoonic.
Multi_colored plant
Multi_colored plant
A man out standing in his field_or, A man standing out
A man out standing in his field_or, A man standing out
The fog added a special beauty, moving in and out of the ridge below Lillian.
Fog and trees on ridge
Fog and trees on ridge
Vivid tree and foggy trees on ridge
Vivid tree and foggy trees on ridge
The theme today was “bones.” The bones of plants and trees lay everywhere. Ghostly white, missing their chlorophyll, the hellebore and vetch were eerie. Lodgepole pine and it’s scraggly, wiry whitey-grey branches looked ghostly in the foggy, dark forest. Absolutely beautiful!
what looks like a field of bones....
what looks like a field of bones....
many, many bones....
many, many bones....
is hellibore!
is hellibore!
yellow vetch and vetch bones
yellow vetch and vetch bones
tree bones
tree bones
We investigated the gassy-bubbled rock formations a bit, (no pics, sorry. Jim????) then followed the trail as it dropped down, down, down, through the dark lodgepole pine forest to a road. TURN LEFT HERE and walk a few minutes to the Howard Creek trail, #1372. We followed this through more trees, and enjoyed following it along Howard Creek as it serpentined through meadow after meadow, lined with lodgepole pine, white pine, and Engelmann spruce, (huge Engelmann spruce). Some other pointy tree too; (amabilis?)
Howard Creek
Howard Creek
The trail then intersects with the Old Ellensburg trail and steadily, but gently, gains elevation to a high point before dropping down to road 9712 a bit beyond Haney Mdws, where you complete your loop. The stretch from Old Ellensburg trail to the dip to Haney is chock full of humongous old growth larches; they’re so big that the trunks look more like Ponderosas. Crane your neck to see the tell-tale golden needles to see they are indeed larches.
Larch, grasses, white pinelets
Larch, grasses, white pinelets
Peek a boo larches
Peek a boo larches
The 9712 road is in good condition to Haney Mdws. Past there, vehicles are prohibited from Oct 15 to some other date. June 15th maybe; can’t recall, but the point is, no vehicles allowed for the rest of this season. Some slick mudholes in the last 2 miles before the meadows, but not too bad. The scary portion of the road is of good roadbed with pullouts. You can see the entire length of Scary Road when you approach from each side, so if someone is on it, you can await your turn. We stopped at Mineral Springs Resort for dinner; I had shrimp skewers and mashed potatoes with cream gravy (I had dental surgery last week so I had mushy food). Jim advises the large order of fries is overkill (killed 3 potatoes for that order. It was probably unnecessary for 2 of those to die, so Jim et ‘em so they wouldn’t feel like they got kilt for no reason). Pumpkin pie for desert, and we were on our way. I included more photos for this tr than I usually do; this was such a wonderful trip, and the season and dull light and fog made it especially so.
Haney Meadow beyond dark trees
Haney Meadow beyond dark trees
A hiker walks by Haney Meadow
A hiker walks by Haney Meadow

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
jd_hiker

jd_hiker
PostSat Nov 01, 2008 11:19 pm 
The colors you capture, especially along the roads look great. up.gif up.gif

I have 11 essentials, the 10 plus an extra camera battery. http://www.flickr.com/photos/jd_hiker/ http://jdhascup.wordpress.com http://jdhascup.500px.com
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostSun Nov 02, 2008 1:30 am 
Nice colors of needles on the road and of the grass. I, for one, am glad to see the Hellebore corpse. One of my least favorite plants to hike through.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
MLHSN
What goes here?????

MLHSN
What goes here?????
PostSun Nov 02, 2008 7:40 am 
I kind of like hiking in the rain every now and then because the colors seem so vibrant. Why is that? Does the water wash the dust away or something?

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSun Nov 02, 2008 8:33 am 
wow! eek.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Movenhike
\m/..mmmmetal\m/

Movenhike
\m/..mmmmetal\m/
PostSun Nov 02, 2008 8:34 am 
This trip report really makes me want to go back up there whike I'm in town.

"Make it your Friend" -John Bull
Jennifer S.

Jennifer S.
PostSun Nov 02, 2008 9:06 am 
The FS Rd pics are so beautiful and inviting... Nice TR

Gil

Gil
PostSun Nov 02, 2008 9:07 am 
Excellent TR! Those needles on the road are amazing!

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostSun Nov 02, 2008 11:16 am 
Nice photo shoot. Thanks for posting the excellent pictures.

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSun Nov 02, 2008 11:50 am 
One of them big larches.
Mission Peak larch 11-01-04
Mission Peak larch 11-01-04
Came up the Liberty-Beehive Road from the Wenatchee side to get this one. Haven't run into that October 15th road closure, before. Maybe I just overlooked it?

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSun Nov 02, 2008 12:00 pm 
Yah, Scrooge, you probably just missed it - the sign that we saw is in small print, on a small sign, off the side of the road a few yards. So unless you actually stop your vehicle, get out, and walk over to the sign, you won't see it. In this case, I would think you can get away with pleading ignorance if someone attempts to ticket. Even the most prudent person cannot be expected to know about the closure, given the demure demeanor and small font of the sign. Whitebark has a trip report on WTA's site for the Lillian trail yesterday. Seems the area had lots of recreationists yesterday (lots of hunters in the area [first day of elk season]). MLHSN: The color is vivid on days like yesterday because the harshness of the sun washes color out; in dull, flat light, all the colors pop out - there's no competition from the sun, which washes everything out. I complain bitterly when the damn sun comes out; but overcast days=a feast for the eyes. A few weeks ago, I chose the N Fk Sauk specifically because the forecast was for rain, but the damn sun came out and screwed up most of my photos. huh.gif Sunny days like today are meant for housework. Thank for the photo compliments everyone. All color is true; the color is not photoshop enhanced . I had to brighten several of them, though. I tend to underexpose. The picture of the view from Scary Road is a bit over-brightened, I admit - that's disappointing, but I wanted to share the view potential in case anyone was interested in the area.The Liberty roadside was pretty sweet - and not very remote at all - the highway is only about 50 feet away, behind the red shrubbery, so even if there's no time to do a lot of foot wandering, the drive in the Blewett/Swauk area is worth the distance. The goldey-orange grass is amazing up there.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
touron

touron
PostSun Nov 02, 2008 12:04 pm 
Gil wrote:
Excellent TR! Those needles on the road are amazing!
ditto.gif I like that umbrella shot and the Fog and trees on ridge! up.gif up.gif up.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostSun Nov 02, 2008 2:44 pm 
Interesting report, Quark. up.gif

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Nov 02, 2008 3:28 pm 
Love it! Good stuff Q. up.gif

MLHSN
What goes here?????

MLHSN
What goes here?????
PostSun Nov 02, 2008 3:44 pm 
thanks for the tidbit of info. Quark. That explains a lot.